Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brake Rotor Turning  (Read 1810 times)

Offline BRod

• View Profile
Brake Rotor Turning
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »
My front brake rotors are looking/feeling a bit rough after 20k miles and three sets of pads.  I'll need to get them turned before installing my new set of pads (assuming they're still within spec thickness).  Can anyone recommend where I can get the rotors turned locally and any idea how much this service might cost?

Thanks,
Brian
00 RC51

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Brake Rotor Turning
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:08:32 PM »
I thought that no one turns motorcycle rotors because they're so thin to begin with.  At least I thought that's what I'd heard.  But lots of things I think I know aren't really so.  Are they really worn so unevenly that they need to be turned?

Brent
P.S. Nice seeing you (and your bike) at BIR Monday, Brian.

PKPK

Re: Brake Rotor Turning
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:22:23 PM »
This subject came up several years ago and the requestor finally located some dude who specialized in motorcycle rotors but not in this area.  He decided the guy's price and the shipping expense were not worth it.

Personally I have salvaged rotors a few different ways.  I've loosened the bolts and retorqued, another set I removed the rotor, flipped it around and rotated 180 degrees, and (I can hear Lloyd scowling already) a few times used a crowbar and huge channel lock pliers to bend it back (provided it was a simple bend, not warped.)  All three cases saved me from having to buy new rotors and the warping never returned.  If you have surface corrosion or contamination, that could be removed but not sure what that requires.

I think Beeeeeeeeedoggy is right that generally they are too thin, especially on sportbikes.  I would imagine they are considered a consumable on a high performance bikes that are ridden hard by guys who mash the brakes alot.