Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What brought you here?  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
Re: What brought you here?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
I found this forum by following Ray's sig on a Ducati forum.  His posts there are thoughtful.  I thus assumed it was worth checking this place out.

I've been on one ride - great group of people.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
If the desire of mn-msta is to "foster small groups", why all the cross-posting?

ive ridden with a few of these guys and look up to them for advice and what not.  plus the other forums seems to be collapsing in on themselves.  i have a funny feeling this place will be crowded soon.

The other forums are doing fine. Look at the size of their kickoff rides!

MN-MSTA is over 20 years old. We've never done a kick off ride and I can't see us ever doing a kick off ride, the other forums will always be better suited for riders who like riding in or being part of a big group. Our group is more focused at fostering riding in small groups, where riders know and trust each other. Ride with the group long enough and you end up with a large pastiche of different folks to ride with.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 07:17:01 PM »
If the desire of mn-msta is to "foster small groups", why all the cross-posting?

ive ridden with a few of these guys and look up to them for advice and what not.  plus the other forums seems to be collapsing in on themselves.  i have a funny feeling this place will be crowded soon.

The other forums are doing fine. Look at the size of their kickoff rides!

MN-MSTA is over 20 years old. We've never done a kick off ride and I can't see us ever doing a kick off ride, the other forums will always be better suited for riders who like riding in or being part of a big group. Our group is more focused at fostering riding in small groups, where riders know and trust each other. Ride with the group long enough and you end up with a large pastiche of different folks to ride with.

MN-MSTA rides are organized by members on a volunteer basis. We support organizers by running the rides, the way the organizer wants, whenever possible. We work in advance with organizers to setup their rides and organizers post their rides the way they want to and wherever they want to. When we run rides that are cross posted, we only do so when we can get enough people to help run the ride for the amount of people we expect to turn out.

In my opinion, MN-MSTA rides cross posted to other forums are too frequently perceived as being run by the other forums, and if issues arise with people who are not MN-MSTA members or members of this forum, we are in a less than desirable position to address them. Additionally, my experience with riders from other forums has been they  require more support on rides than our core group of riders. This makes our rides less interesting to our core group of riders; exactly the opposite of what we want, in my opinion.

Personally I have decided that I will no longer cross post the rides I organize to other boards. I prefer to encourage members to organize more rides for the group, as opposed to having to pursue them to support cross posted rides.

Ideally, I would like to see our rides not be cross posted to the other forums. I'd like to see new riders come to our rides and forum solely by referral from people who are already MN-MSTA or forum members, counting on them to only refer people they know will ride responsibility and enjoy our rides. Having said that, since everything done by the club is on a volunteer basis, if an MN-MSTA member wants to do something different, as long as it can be done so it will be a credit to the club, I'll do whatever I can do to support it. If we build this group by primarily by reference, ideally we'll get small groups of riders who participate on our rides, and we'll reduce the amount of volunteer effort it takes to set up and run a ride.

In any case, we ask that MN-MSTA rides not be cross posted or referred to on other forums by people who are not the ride organizers. Supporting ride organizers is key to having allot of good rides, and support begins with respecting their wishes.

PKPK

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »
In any case, we ask that MN-MSTA rides not be cross posted or referred to on other forums by people who are not the ride organizers. Supporting ride organizers is key to having allot of good rides, and support begins with respecting their wishes.

I'll drink to that (on this Friday night!)

:cheers:

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
I found this forum by following Ray's sig on a Ducati forum.  His posts there are thoughtful.  I thus assumed it was worth checking this place out.

I've been on one ride - great group of people.

Endorsement check is in the mail... Thanks for the kinds words Ehrich.

Offline Flooryou

• Hanging by a Moment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 12:28:18 AM »
I found this forum thru Ray. I have to say of all the rides I have been on, Ray does it with class and we have a lot of fun!!!
Nothing satisfies..... But I'm getting close!

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
I was on the Yahoo board, though I can't remember how I ended up there.  I knew a couple of the people there before I found out about the board, but can't remember if they told me about it or I just stumbled upon it while looking for groups in MN.   Anyway, the few rides I've been on and the people I've met make me want to stay.  The only problem is that the timing never seems to work out for me to join in on more rides!
Guess I'll just get back to the shadows and keep lurking...
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline KoopaTroopa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
I was recommended through friends, and I agree, the other groups are great for big events and gatherings, but I came here to ride. It's nice to be a part of a close nit group, not just a number.

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 09:15:37 AM »
I found the site after riding with Ray and others back in early May.  Member of other forums such as MNSBR and Yahoo, but with the significant increase in numbers in former, I've spent less and less time there.  Hoping to see that it stays a smallish community of riders who enjoy sport touring as it was meant to be.  Looking forward to seeing some of you on Sunday's Tri-State ride.........
~D
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
Would love to go, but I'll be in Sturgis (GASP!)  :o  that weekend.  

Have fun, be safe!
~D

This is yet another example of what brought me here.

In the past I've posted like RCKT GRL did in Vinces ride thread (her post is above) on other forums & all I got was guff about it.

Apparently it is viewed by some as worthless posting & they don't want to be bothered by these things.  The general attitude was "no one cares that you can't make it or why...just don't post unless you are actually going."  Well if everyone thought like that no one would bother posting anything!

Its just another example of the interesting difference between this & other forums that reminds me why I would rather post here than elsewhere.  Thanks for indulging me everyone....I just wanted to share my thoughts & people over here are much more tolerant than any other forums I'm on.

The funny thing is that a lot of the people here are on the other forums I'm talking about.  I guess that should probably yield some responses to this then.  LOL

I've been in front of the computer too long this week at work!!  Man I can't wait to ride this weekend...good thing today is my Friday!!!!!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
Ray brought me here.
Chris
----------