Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:39:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off topic but...  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
Off topic but...
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »
does anyone have any real experience with water purifiers for wilderness type backpackers? I just have a hard time believing UV light from a little steri-pen is going to do the job. I do know some water chemistry, but not to the point of purifying. Think Water cooling towers, Aquariums, and swamp coolers.

The other Jeff

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline spacemonkey

• View Profile
Re: Off topic but...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »

Hey Sanders, I'm with you, I would not trust a steri-pen and I am not into putting iodine tablets in my water.  I've used a First Need filter that I got at REI for years of filtering in the Boundary Waters.  http://www.rei.com/product/767831  I'd recommend it.

MSR and Katadyn also make good options.

2008 Suzuki V-Strom
2002 Harley Road King Classic
1976 BMW R75/6

Vander

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:23:11 AM »
I have no experience with a steri-pen...
But I have quite a bit of experience in the woods and issues with water purification.  But it really depends on where you are going.  Some places (and circumstances) you can just dip and drink.

Your biggest enemy in drinking water is giardia; so even boiling your water will work too.

Where are you going?

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
The Mountains, the desert, the West coast and everywhere in between. I've boiled in the past, when in doubt. Much like Pscylociben its an acquired taste that I never acquired.
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Vander

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:50:39 PM »
Well I'd recommend a Katadyn for general use then.  Where ever you go you will find replacement parts and filter for a Katadyn.

And I'd stay clear of the 'schrooms too... :D