Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DEER!  (Read 8698 times)

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
DEER!
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
I've not seen this many deer while riding since 2007. I'm seeing them in broad daylight, all day long. I think I'm reading about more deer strikes versus bikes too. It rarely ends well for the motorcyclist. This fall when they REALLY start to move around could be very bad.
http://www.startribune.com/local/97800409.html
I dunno, my ears always home in on motorcycle accident info, am I hearing more, or they covering it better?
Ride safe, especially after dark.

Sanders, Jeffery, J
              semper fi

'07 BMW GS Adv.
'76 BMW R90/6
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
Re: DEER!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50:30 PM »
I'm just back from a weekend ride up to Ashland, WI.  I lost track of how many deer I hit the brakes for.  Ten o'clock Saturday night I had to stop for a deer crossing the road...6th Street in downtown Ashland!  Lot's of doe/fawn combos.  Had one doe exit to the left, while the fawn got confused and ran in two complete circles across both lanes before following her. 

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Yeah I should have mentioned the Doe fawn combo is really high this year. Northern Wi. and the U.P. have got to be just terrible after dark.
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:16 PM »

"A man killed Sunday in a motorcycle accident was Thomas C. White of Clear Lake, Minn. White, 63, was riding on Hwy. 169 near Garrison, in Crow Wing County, when he hit a deer about 1 a.m."

This hits home for me, This is someone that I knew. I didnt think it would have made the paper already though. He was better known as Grizz, and was well known in the Harley M/C club world.
'99 Sprint ST

PKPK

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
That makes two on 169 in that area in two weeks now. 

I'm ticked that DNR deer management decisions seem strictly defined by hunting licenses.  They make sure that there is a supply of deer for the number of licenses.  Rider fatality and vehicle insurance seems to not factor one bit.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:06:14 AM »
We saw a bunch of dead deer on the sides of the roads in the Brainerd Lakes area today.  I too have noticed an increase in spotting them this season.

May have to take up deer hunting to help control the population!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
We saw a doe/fawn combo at about 11 AM on the Monday ride. They need to thin out the deer population.

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Had a huge one run out in front of me yesterday here in southern MN.  I had plenty of time to avoid it but it's still an eye-opener.  Deer (and other large critters) are far and away at the top of my Risk Chart for motorcycling.  I hit one in my truck once and realized that sometimes there is just nothing you can do to avoid them apart from not leaving the house.  At least bad drivers are somewhat predictable since you can plan on them being an idiot, but I equate deer with a bolt of lightning: You may have some idea that they're in the area, but where and when they strike is anyone's guess.  They are the sole reason I avoid riding at night, which I used to love to do.

I've known guys that split them in half then rode to a stop without going down, while my friend's father-in-law is currently trying to regain his short term memory and is lucky to be alive and others are even less fortunate.   Seems like the result of hitting a deer is as unpredictable as hitting them in the first place. I guess that besides the obvious (gear-up, extra caution in deer infested areas, practice panic stops) the only thing to do in the event of an unavoidable collision with a forest rat is let out a rebel yell and aim for the squishy parts.  As bad as it may be, a deer is still softer than a tree or the grill of a truck.

Boo Deer!  
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
deer bad
Chris
----------

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:53 AM »
Animals are my biggest fear on a bike.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline nraforevr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
The deer herd is bigger than it was when the pilgrims landed on the east coast.

We've lost at least four riders to deer so far this year, out of 12 total fatalities we're aware of. We lost about five between 1995 and 1999, a dozen between 2000 and 2004, and about 20 between 2005 and 2009, all to deer. Maybe it's time someone talks to their legislator about herd management.

On the other hand, yes, they are thick and everywhere and all times of day, but really--driving in deer country after dark is like gambling, and on a motorcycle it ain't a good bet.

You live here long enough, you understand what I'm saying: it's not a matter of if, but when.

P
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »
After reading your book I always try not to ride at night. The odds against you go waaaay up

The deer herd is bigger than it was when the pilgrims landed on the east coast.

We've lost at least four riders to deer so far this year, out of 12 total fatalities we're aware of. We lost about five between 1995 and 1999, a dozen between 2000 and 2004, and about 20 between 2005 and 2009, all to deer. Maybe it's time someone talks to their legislator about herd management.

On the other hand, yes, they are thick and everywhere and all times of day, but really--driving in deer country after dark is like gambling, and on a motorcycle it ain't a good bet.

You live here long enough, you understand what I'm saying: it's not a matter of if, but when.

P

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:21 PM »
Yup, that chapter did it for me too.  I seldom ride at night and never start a ride at night.

PKPK

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
You can move your odds back up while riding at night by a few ways:

1.  Slow down.  That's still too fast....slow down some more.  yep, I'm talking 45 mph on a county road and while that is a horrible crawl for some of you, the chances are slim you will die if you have proper gear and somehow get broadsided by a deer.  Slowing down gives you much more time to react and also gives the critters more time to change their direction.   I know going that slow just isn't possible for some.  It comes down to how much you want to ride versus what you want to get out of riding.  If you only know fast, then you better not ride after dark.

2.  Light up.  If you think you are going to wind up doing a fair amount of riding after dark, you need auxiliary lighting to shine some light down the road and into the ditches.  I extend my riding all the way into December and there is no way I can be home by 4 pm at that time of year.  There are many options and it's my rule you get what you pay for.  Good luck with them $20 lights for Wal-Mart.

3.  If you are on a highway where 45 is dangerous, then plant your butt on the back of a truck (but not too close so you can't react.)  Yeah, I know you will say that there is still a chance a deer can come directly at you from the side.  Not much I can do about that beside avoid the highway altogether and take a county road where I can go slow.