Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: STAReview  (Read 4044 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
STAReview
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Great write up by Darcy Holter in the most recent edition of the MSTA STAReview! Tony Kellen, Roger Reis, Paul Kobo and Ray Kang are also mentioned and their smiling mugs (sans Tony as he's got his helmet on, lol) can be seen gracing the pages as well.

There also is an excellent article that is a must read IMO on page 16. In a nut shell the article talks about how all of us ride the exact way we like to ride, and then therefore by default ..... our way is the best and all others are suicidal maniacs. Keen insight into thinking before judging others riding styles.

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: STAReview
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
got a linky?
Chris
----------

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »
Yes, what Greg said. Outstanding writeup. I never knew Darcy had such writing talent. I don't remember seeing that Llama. Wow, really starnge looking.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
got a linky?

It's a print magazine. If you're an MSTA member you should receive a copy.

Oh, that's why I don't have it.
Chris
----------

PKPK

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »
Tony,

The Llama is on CR JB that is sort of a shortcut from Highway 162 to Highway 33 south of Bangor.  I'd be surprised if you had never taken this road and it's sort of cool.  It cuts through a farm where the Llama resides.  I shot the picture on the way to Twistar. 

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
Thanks, Greg and Tony. :)  I'm having a great deal of fun as Editor at Large for StaReview!  javascript:void(0);

It did sound in my article like the llama was on Wildcat, but it was just some editing to shorten up my nartural wordiness.  It's harder to write concisely and make a good story than you might think.  There were still a few edits that I would have liked to have made, but I'm usually on a deadline and a few slip through.

PKPK deserves credit for several of the photos in the Twistar article.  As I was disappearing to Colorado on vacation, he was following up with getting Chuck  the needed pics in the correct format.  Thanks Paul!!  Also, Dave Biren has helped me immensely with editing my raw material and has a true gift for helping me  bring my words to life.

I'm going to be writing an article on the recent Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail ride that some of us just completed, and am hoping to get that one published as well, so keep your eyes peeled! And if you haven't joined the MSTA--well that alone should be a good enough reason!
javascript:void(0);

~ d

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:35 AM »
There also is an excellent article that is a must read IMO on page 16. In a nut shell the article talks about how all of us ride the exact way we like to ride, and then therefore by default ..... our way is the best and all others are suicidal maniacs. Keen insight into thinking before judging others riding styles.

Is this like the idea that "Anyone who rides slower than me needs lessons, and anyone who rides faster than me has a death wish"?  Or is it something completely different?

I know I feel that way sometimes.  But I do like riding with and watching people who ride faster than me.  Gives me some confidence that my tires will stick and that a little more speed won't necessarily cause me to crash.

Brent

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »
I do like riding with and watching people who ride faster than me.  Gives me some confidence that my tires will stick and that a little more speed won't necessarily cause me to crash.

Brent
but what if 1) they have better tires?  2) your bike has less ground clearance? or 3) they are just more experienced?   Letting someone pull you into a faster pace than you normally ride might be hazardous to your health.   

Of course, I've seen you rock that 250 oil burner at DCTC, so you might just be able to do anything you set your mind to  ;D
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »

A few weeks ago I paid/signed up to be a MSTA member.

Anyone know when I'll get this magazine or does someone have a copy I can look thru.

I couldn't make this ride but would like to read the review.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
I paid too, sounds like it takes a few weeks to process everything

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »

A few weeks ago I paid/signed up to be a MSTA member.

Anyone know when I'll get this magazine or does someone have a copy I can look thru.

I couldn't make this ride but would like to read the review.

You can have my copy. I'll bring it to Tim's ride.