Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What does the video make you think? - Pick all that apply.

Wow! Great riding!
7 (26.9%)
Wreckless
7 (26.9%)
Maybe the rider has enough reserve to handle the unforeseen.
4 (15.4%)
Didn't crash so it's fine.
2 (7.7%)
We should set up a video/photo corner so we can show them how it is done.
1 (3.8%)
He should get his head and shoulders farther off the tank
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Great, Wreckless, Who Knows, Wish I Could  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Great, Wreckless, Who Knows, Wish I Could
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »
Watch the video. What does it make you think?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGCGoYuX7fI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pGCGoYuX7fI&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Re: Great, Wreckless, Who Knows, Wish I Could
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
So are we allowed to editorialize? Or only vote from the above choices?

Have at it!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »

Snip...

So has anyone on here been there? Are there always that many spectators and camera people, I mean the one guy was set up on the roads edge with a swivel chair. Or does it appear the road was closed for this?

Open road, with photographers, videographers and spectators staking out certain sections to catch the action. YouTube has quite a few videos of cars and bikes from this road.

Killboy doing this at Deals Gap started this. He earns enough money from taking pics and selling them, that he has other photographers working for him. Push Mountain in AR also has photographers taking shots and selling them to the people coming by. As I understand it, in California the photographers and videographers also provide support as LEO spotters, with riders calling them up to ask if the road is clear before making a pass for the cameras.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
My first thought was jealousy....because I would love to ride that road again!!

I don't think I was on the section in the video but have been on parts of Mulholland on my 2001 GSX-R back in Dec 2002.

Took a family trip out there & brought my bike with.  I had a blast on that road & all the roads I encountered in the Angeles National Forest.

I would love to go out there again sometime with the bike.
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:45 AM »
I've seen alot of video's of that section of Mulholland, those guys ride it quite frequently. More than likely the guy in the video has ridden it a bunch of times. Just like at the track, once you get to know the track, you can start cornering faster, leaning further, go faster.

I would certainly not ride this way on roads that I've never been on, or may have only been on once or twice. Plus around here, there's always the deer threat, farm vehicles, etc. around every corner, along with gravel kicked up on the road from people cutting corners. With Mulholland, the most you would need to be concerned about is the occasional rock slide, or the guy in front of you that went down.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
My first thought was I should move to SoCal. Second thing that came to mind was this would make a good sales video for Yamaha. On business trips
to LA I have had rental cars and I chased a Lotus (quite unsuccessfully) on this road. I would love to ride it on a bike someday.

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »
Forget the guy on the bike,  I wanna know who that crazy bastard is that's riding a skateboard down the hill!!  ;D
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
Forget the guy on the bike,  I wanna know who that crazy bastard is that's riding a skateboard down the hill!!  ;D

I thought that's what the thread was about, but leave it to Lloyd to high jack it and start talking about bikes  :P
Chris
----------

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
My first thought was I should move to SoCal. Second thing that came to mind was this would make a good sales video for Yamaha. On business trips
to LA I have had rental cars and I chased a Lotus (quite unsuccessfully) on this road. I would love to ride it on a bike someday.

I'm with ya TK, move anyplace where a I can ride more year round. Northern Arkansas, Texas Hill country, California, north Georgia, Carolinas, eastern Tennessee, even Phoenix has some good riding in the mountains

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline VFJayR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
I have been on that road a couple of times and it was fun, fun, fun..  Both times it was a weekday so there was almost no traffic.  I have heard that it can get really, really busy during the weekends.

The thing about the video is that there is no context.  The days that I was on it there were maybe 10 other vehicles total so if you were inclined you could really move right along
2003 VFR
2008 CBR1000RR