Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:55:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What Would You Like To See Troopers Do More Of? (Motorcycle Related Enforcement)  (Read 7053 times)

Vander

What specifically would you like to see our troopers do to enforce motorcycle laws in MN?

A focus on enforcement (specific to motorcycles) of:
DUIs?
Speeding?
Careless Driving?

ie: I was recently shocked by the admission of a local cop that he no longer bothers chasing speeding sportbikes (he can't catch them).
Would you guys like to see a stricter enforcement of fleeing bikes? ...maybe more technology used to pursue fleeing bikes rather than chasing?

I'll have a voice in an upcoming meeting soon, here. Let's hear what MN-MSTA has to say:

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
What specifically would you like to see our troopers do to enforce motorcycle laws in MN?

A focus on enforcement (specific to motorcycles) of:
DUIs?
Speeding?
Careless Driving?

None of the above.  I wish they'd enforce the noise laws already on the books.

Brent

Offline Powershouse

• View Profile
Noise laws and roll through right-on-reds, although I suspect both are the province of local and county cops rather than state troopers.

Vander

Ahhhh... serious and quality posts.

Thank you.

Keep them coming.  :D

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
100% ban on cell phone use while driving, and that includes "hands-free" devices. Every study I've seen concludes that even hands-free cell phone usage impairs a driver as much as alcohol impairment.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
I would definitely like to see a solution to fleeing motorcyclists and chases in general. That any vehicle operator should think it is worth a high speed chase to avoid a traffic ticket needs to be addressed. I'm consistently surprised when officers thank me for pulling over, although I'm delighted that their thankfulness seems to make them less apt to write me a ticket. I fear that success in fleeing brings more fleeing which might lead to broad laws like horsepower limitations.

I would also like to see more enforcement of endorsement, insurance, under 18 helmet law, dui and noise laws.

Vander

Well?  Just got word that we don't qualify for the grant.
Minnesota does NOT allow vehicle checkpoints... and it's a requirement in implementing these initiatives.
Not gonna happen.  Sorry, folks.

I would appreciate some further input from you all, however.
I can still bring up some points of discussion.

Offline EverydayRiding

• View Profile
    • Everyday Riding
noise laws and distracted drivers

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Well?  Just got word that we don't qualify for the grant.
Minnesota does NOT allow vehicle checkpoints... and it's a requirement in implementing these initiatives.
Not gonna happen.  Sorry, folks.

I would appreciate some further input from you all, however.
I can still bring up some points of discussion.

What about the DWI check points?
Chris
----------

Vander

You've been through one in Minnesota?
How long ago?

Offline Chris

• View Profile

You've been through one in Minnesota?
How long ago?

Can't say I have been though one but seams like on the news they were talking about DWI checkpoints, maybe I am confusing something.

Another thing I would like to see is
Since cops say that they give tickets to slow traffic down, IMO they should have there lights on when they are running radar on the side of the road and they should always have there radar on when driving around and not turn in it off and on like they do and should not use Laser, it only purpose IMO is to catch speeders.
t
Chris
----------

PKPK

What Brent said.   Noisy pipes.

I'm curious why there would even be discussion about what we want more out of Troopers when it comes to motorcycle enforcement.  Don't we have enough scrutiny?  

I'll pose a scenario to you and ask what is wrong with this picture.  Two bikes leave the same area at the same time and ride in front of a cop.  Why does the cop automatically pull out behind the fully geared rider who stopped at a gas station, while ignoring the completely gearless cruiser rider who just left the bar next door?  I've seen it happen and I really wanted to pull the cop over to ask him about profiling responsible riders.

Vander

I'm curious why there would even be discussion about what we want more out of Troopers when it comes to motorcycle enforcement.  Don't we have enough scrutiny?  

I would agree with you... I feels that we are targeted by LE as well.

However, this is an initiative from the NHTSA spawning from a successful campaign from NY state to deploy a safety motivated MC enforcement program.
The result would have been... we'll give you grant money if you conduct a program with a goal to reduce MC crash fatalities.  Our little DPS committee would have been able to provide some insights (and some influence) on how to implement a motorcycle enforcement program.... perhaps more in tuned with what Minnesota motorcyclist would WANT to be enforced, you know?

But... no-go on the grant money.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
I don't particularly feel targeted, but who knows? Maybe because I consistently speed, I always expect to be pulled over.

I'd imagine cruisers are virtually never involved in flight from traffic stops, so officers might be tighter on enforcement of non-cruisers hoping to catch someone. If I were a LEO and not particularly knowledgeable about bikes and had sportbikes running on me often, I might be pulling more non-cruisers over too. Tough for them to tell the difference between a sportbike, standard or sport tourer.

Maybe we should ask some LEOs if they perceive that one type of bike is more likely to run than the other. I'd bet they'd say they expect sportbike riders to run, but not cruiser, adventure or touring bike riders.

Offline KoopaTroopa

• View Profile
I haven't had many run-ins with LEO's, but it always surprises me how many people drink and ride, especialy at big ralleys. It's hard enogh to stay focused in traffic and at speed. I can't imagine how people bar hop on their bikes.