Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sexy bike has a new name.....  (Read 3150 times)

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
Sexy bike has a new name.....
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Ducati is releasing an EVO version of the 848, new stealth gray color, 140bhp, upgraded suspension.....awesome! Better bhp/litre/1000rpm ratio than an S1000rr. I think this was the special model they were going to unveil at Laguna this weekend.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2010/July/jul2010-ducati-848-evo/

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: Sexy bike has a new name.....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 01:02:12 PM »
looks HOT, if only Ducati would get away from needing the maintenance every year now I would be all over it.
Chris
----------

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
More info, ya gotta love it when they do all kinds of upgrades, and the price stays the same!

Later next month Ducati will begin selling the 848 EVO, a revised and enhanced version of its middleweight Superbike with a number of improvements for the 2011 model year with more power and better brakes, all at the same price.

The new Ducati 848EVO is designed to be the leader in the middleweight class. Weighing just 369 pounds and propelled by 140 horsepower and 72 lb/ft of torque, it is the most powerful motorcycle in its category. The 848EVO is based upon Ducati’s best ever selling middleweight Superbike – the 848. Along with the “EVO” designation comes a significant amount of upgrades based on AMA Pro Racing feedback and consumer demand.

At the heart of the 848EVO is the Testastretta Evoluzione engine, significantly redesigned for a higher power output. All new cylinder heads, pistons, throttle bodies and camshafts combine for a forceful output of 140hp @ 10,500rpm and 72.3 lb/ft of torque @9,750rpm. All of this significant engine performance is wrapped in new black cylinder cases.
In addition to the more powerful engine, the 848EVO’s chassis and braking systems have been upgraded. A cross-mounted steering damper has been added for greater control of the steering system, and the welcome addition of Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP tires will ensure maximum grip while delivering every last horsepower to the asphalt.

The 848EVO receives an upgrade to the braking system in the form of Brembo Monobloc calipers. These single-piece calipers are machined from solid alloy and achieve a higher rigidity and resistance to distortion during extreme braking. The resulting increase in hydraulic efficiency not only delivers incredible braking power, but also provides an enhanced and precise ‘feel’ at the brake lever.
The Ducati 848EVO Superbike will be available in North American Ducati Dealerships at the end of August, 2010. Impressively, MSRP will remain unchanged from the 2010 848 it replaces: $12,995 for the “Dark” edition, and $13,995 for Ducati Red.

Better picture of the new dark here:
http://www.ducatinewstoday.com/2010/07/the-ducati-848-is-dead-long-live-the-new-848-evo/#more-7191

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
looks HOT, if only Ducati would get away from needing the maintenance every year now I would be all over it.

Which maintenance is that?

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »
Which maintenance is that?

valves & belts the 1098 was every 9,600 miles (I think), about $1000.00+ every year, plus tires. I am sure this bike will be in that same area.
Chris
----------

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:46:35 PM »
I guess it depends on how many miles you put on in a year. I would like to do more, but only end up about 2000 miles per year/per bike.

If you put 10000 miles on a year, then you certainly have to look at the maintenance costs.

Also, belts and valve adjustment is about $400-$500, not $1000

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
You can't hardly count tires as a maintenance item, its a consumable- the more you ride the faster you will need them.(I am quite sure there are plenty of members that go through multiple sets a of tires each year)

The valve adjustment etc....Lots of bikes say 7500 mile intervals, and there are still plenty calling for 4000 mile intervals, so 9600 miles is hardly excessive. But the expense to do it may well be (but that is relative and strictly ones opinion)

Even if you have one of those bikes claiming 26,000 miles I highly advise against actually putting it off that long, unless you don't plan on keeping it, and like to pass problems along to the next bike owner.

I was not counting tires as maintenance but just and add on to the valves and belts. And yes very bike needs the valves but its the cost of the work I was talking about.

I guess it depends on how many miles you put on in a year. I would like to do more, but only end up about 2000 miles per year/per bike.

If you put 10000 miles on a year, then you certainly have to look at the maintenance costs.

Also, belts and valve adjustment is about $400-$500, not $1000

yeah, I run about 10 to 12K miles per year.

$500 that must be for what the "new" cost is, I know they changed some things so that there is less shop time. I was going by what Ken spends every year on his 999

So then for me it would be still about 1K per year because I am not a good enough rider to use more then 1 set of tires per year... now if I could only come up with the 13K for the bike.
Chris
----------

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »
This new bike may be my next Ducati. The 848 always got good writeups in the mags. It cost less than my 996 and probably has better performance.
However, I just can't bring myself to part with the 996. It  look SO COOL in the monoposto configuration. Maybe I could have two Ducs ???

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »
2-ducs
2-kaws

you can start your own farm...lol

Or an arch
Chris
----------

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »
$1,000 more for red?  Ducatis are supposed to be red.

The maintenance is no big deal.  All bikes need attention and most we can do ourselves.