Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:48:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Route Sheets  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Route Sheets
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
As someone who has put together route sheets, I appreciate the time and effort involved. This post is not a shot at any one style in particular, just a suggestion in how we move forward on "official" MSTA rides.

IMO it would benefit the group if we agreed on one style of route sheet and stuck to that format. When a rider is glancing down at their route sheet (yikes, some could argue that's too dangerous as it is),  it is imperative that the information is absorbed quickly and accurately.

Thoughts?

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: Route Sheets
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »
Thanks for taking a shot at me Greg  :P
but I agree 100%... one standard format works the best for anything, we just need to make the format available. The first one I did (bi-state boogie) I did in word then I started to play with excel, which I think is easier.   

I like Ray's format (no I am not sucking up to the boss), I like knowing that in at XXX miles on the trip-O I need to turn X on road XXX, on my sheet I had to do math when I was riding I did not like that.

my 2 cents

Chris
----------

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
For what it's worth, I have a format that has served me well. It's pretty similar to Ray's, just a little different format.

I use an Excel spreadsheet and list the direction of the next turn, the name of the road, the distance to the next turn, a space for notes about that particular section, and a tally of the total miles which are added up automatically so it's easy to make changes.  For me, the grids and alternate shading make it really easy to keep track of where you are on the sheet. I fold it in half vertically so it fits better in the map pouch and is easier to follow.

Here's a sample (click for full size):

Being Excel, it's easy to change, resize, and update.  When I make a new one, I just copy an old one and clear the contents from the first four columns and it's ready to start filling in.

Here's a link to the actual sheet above if anyone wants to copy it and use that format:
http://www.wildcatrally.com/Routes/2009/Wildcat_Mindoro.xls
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:57:05 AM by Cam »
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
The best way is a route sheet + a GPS route. Makes life easier and safer.
I found out that sometimes you can't always rely entirely on the GPS.  

Allon

PKPK

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:44 PM »
I found out that sometimes you can't always rely entirely on the GPS.  

So did the rest of us.    :D

PKPK

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
So "official", meaning an official letterhead, font and paper type with officially sanctioned watermark?    ;D

I think there already is a common method that is generally used by the motorcycling community.  I think most follow that general outline for the most part (Ray's would be the typical example).  Maybe you are asking for a specific font size for easy reading?

I know what DOES NOT work for me and that is outputting the GPS waypoint list for use as a routesheet.  The only one that seems to do it right is Roger 49'er where he creates waypoints for use as the route turns.  Dumping a list of road names with 80 GPS internal waypoints does not work at all.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
I'm in favor of the format Cam displayed. That is how I do routesheets. For the record, I have seen completely different formats at major MSTA events.
I had trouble following the routesheets they used at the STAR two years ago. The order on the sheet should be  1) Direction 2) Hwy 3) Distance 4) Comments
5) Cumulative distance   

Just as Cam has it.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:30:51 PM »
I like the cumulative  mileage on the left, as this makes it really easy if I've reset my odometer at the start of a ride to quickly know when I need to look for my next turn. The segment mileage all the way to the right is the backup mileage for anyone who hasn't reset their odo at the start or forgot to do it at zero reset  intermediary route sheet point. Notes in my opinion belong all the way on the right, as they are most often left blank and having it precede a key piece of information like segment mileage that some might have to always rely on to follow the route makes it tougher. I typically place compass direction after the turn direction to help figure out which way to go if the route sheet isn't clear. Gray shading alternate lines really helps readability, and I'll start doing this on all my route sheets going forward. I stopped doing it, in an attempt to conserve printer ink, when providing a route pretty much also meant you had to print the ride out for all the ride participants too.

So:

1. cumulative distance
2. turn direction
3. compass direction
4. route name
5.segment mileage
6. notes

Looking at the layout I've been using, I'll probably move compass direction to the right of segment mileage to make my sheets easier to use.

Which brings me to the last point, the need for a "standard" format. While it might help everyone, anyone who comes up with a route is volunteering their time and energy and I'm a bit loathe to suggest to them, that their volunteer efforts need to be captured in a specific format. I'm of the opinion that volunteers are a precious commodity and are to be cherished and supported in anyway possible. The least a volunteer can get from the participants on a ride is their route sheet layout preference.

An alternative to establishing a standard format would be to encourage people to post an editable version of the route sheet. This would enable participants who wanted a different format or size to reformat the route sheet to fit their preferences before printing it. I used to provide Excel versions of the routes I created, but went to PDF, since not everyone seems to have Excel or be familiar with how to use it, unlike PDF, which no one seems to have problems printing.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
I like the cumulative  mileage on the left, as this makes it really easy if I've reset my odometer at the start of a ride to quickly know when I need to look for my
Which brings me to the last point, the need for a "standard" format. While it might help everyone, anyone who comes up with a route is volunteering their time and energy and I'm a bit loathe to suggest to them, that their volunteer efforts need to be captured in a specific format. I'm of the opinion that volunteers are a precious commodity and are to be cherished and supported in anyway possible. The least a volunteer can get from the participants on a ride is their route sheet layout preference.

An alternative to establishing a standard format would be to encourage people to post an editable version of the route sheet. This would enable participants who wanted a different format or size to reformat the route sheet to fit their preferences before printing it. I used to provide Excel versions of the routes I created, but went to PDF, since not everyone seems to have Excel or be familiar with how to use it, unlike PDF, which no one seems to have problems printing.

I willing to be one of the volunteers to help with the formatting of the ride sheets, and to upload them in a PDF format.
Chris
----------

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
Instead of shading every other line I found it easier to follow if you only shade every fourth line or so.

Give it a try
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
I've been doing my route sheets in a very basic format but am going to start trying different formats to see what works better.  I agree with Ray, I don't think a standard format is the way to go...maybe encouraged to do but not an absolute.  That way as he said, people that volunteer to make route sheets won't be pigion holed into something that may or may not work for them.

With that said, I also like the idea of putting them up in a format that can be edited.  Just shooting from the hip here but my guess is that my favorite format is going to become Excel since it does all the math for you & such.  I have no problem leaving them able to be edited.  I think thats the best option so people that want something maybe a little different can do so.

As I get to converting my sheets I'll get them to Ray so he can post them in the "Routes" section.  I feel its good to share routes with each other...afterall, thats how I've been able to create some great rides.  Many of my routes have been pieced together from multiple routes I've gotten from others.  Thats half the fun!!
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!