Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zero open rides?  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Zero open rides?
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Save for the Slimy Crud in October there are zero open rides posted for the rest of the season.  :-\

Step up folks.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Vander

Re: Zero open rides?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
I've got a group (4) headed to Eagle Harbor, MI for an overnight this weekend.
If anyone wants to tag along PM me.

One condition: You MUST arrange your own lodging.  Reservations are already made for the four of us.

The route is through the Porcupine Mountains and on though to Houghton/Hancock then to Eagle Harbor.

Vander

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »
So...

Are you coming to Eagle Harbor with me Lloyd?  ;D

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:35:37 AM »
You know, Greg, that's a good idea!

Maybe I should have it on the 12th!   ;D
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Vander

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Hey dude... I'd love it if you wanted to ride up to Eagle Harbor with me.
Let me know if your plans change.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:31:39 AM »
It's up to Tony and I to pull the ride schedule together, and I've been remiss. We try to plan out at least a month in advance so we can get the  ride schedule out in the MN-MSTA newsletter for members who aren't on the forum.

I've got one planned for 9/5 which hasn't been posted. and I expect to be able to get at least one more planned for September. We'll try to pull together at least one more in addition to Slimey Crud in October and then there is one planned for Black Friday in November.

Greg's absolutely right. We do need more volunteers to put on rides, as ideally it would be great to have at least one ride opportunity a week.

MN-MSTA rides are open to all members of this forum, and it is incumbent on Tony and I to make sure we get enough volunteers to support a ride so we can handle everyone who shows up. We greatly appreciate it when people show up without an expectation of being led, or volunteer to lead a small group of riders who show up for a ride.

At this time, we rarely open our rides up to people who are not on this forum, as we are not able to ensure that we have enough volunteers to handle the number of riders who show up expecting to be led. The incidences of crashes is also a concern, but frankly it is not just a problem with riders from other forums. We have our sins too, and after a decade of trying to exorcise them, I have found casting stones at others to have no positive effect on the problem.

What people can do to help us run more rides is:
  • Volunteer to organize a ride
  • Volunteer to lead a small group of riders on a ride
  • Learn how to follow a route sheet while riding, so you don't need to be led

and of course, the bare minimum is to ride within your limits and not crash.

Offline KoopaTroopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
I'd love to organize a ride, but I get lost driving around town ;D
So I salute those who do it. I personaly wouldn't mind seeing more northern or central Wisconsin rides with more hills, valleys, ect. I'd like to find a fun ride up to Duluth, the area is gorgeous, and there are plenty of places to stop for lunch, but I don't think there's any good roads from here to there.

It's too bad you have to go far enough from population not to cause trouble, but close enough so the roads don't all start resembling a grid.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »
I'd love to organize a ride, but I get lost driving around town ;D

LOL

Chris
----------