Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cell service and coverage  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
cell service and coverage
« on: August 18, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
what do you guys do when your out and about on a ride or something and need to communicate. I'm with att and went to the black hills a few weeks ago, had crap service from like 90 by the border all the way for the rest of the trip. Then sunday, all day i had crap service, Things happened, crashes, my bike key system was about to get hit with a rock (thats why my lights were on the last 3rd of the day) everytime i looked at my phone i had nothing.
is this something you guys have addressed or thought about, or just stick together seems to work too ??

Thanks much for the time,
Joel
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Vander

Re: cell service and coverage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
I've been looking into a CB radio option for this very reason.  From what I can tell, up to 20 miles of range (with the radio tuned by a pro and a good antenna mounted) with good communications to fellow riders (with CBs) and an added ability to get road reports from truckers.  The radio that I am looking at includes weather bands too.

And how cool would an Italian bike look with a CB antenna mounted on it?   :D

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
Sprint works, but it wasn't that long ago when nothing worked. You do what you got to do, the one time I needed services I had to ride a few miles down the road.

Otherwise a farm house would do.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
Sprint has the best coverage in the sticks as far as I can tell. AT&T seems to have the worst.

Out on rides in the sticks, I've lent my phone to AT&T users quite a few times. Sprint's coverage isn't perfect, but it seems to be noticeably better than any other carrier's.

FWIW.

Offline Furiousgeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:41:52 PM »
My brother and I have Garmin Rino 520's. GPS with two way radio's. FRS and GMRS up to 14 mile range. Plus they have position locating feature. You can see anyone else with a rino unless they hide themselves. It's come in very handy on the trail when someone takes a wrong turn, stuck etc. Not perfect in every situation but I find them very handy for what I do. We've used ours in the black hills, moab, all over WI and MN. Waterproof, durable, I love em. The position reporting feature works with any model in the Rino line. Small screen but all hand held designs are small.

George
George
DR650

Offline wolfkingen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Verizon also seems to work pretty well in SD.  I've often considered picking up a cheap prepaid phone in areas without AT&T coverage. 

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
thanks for the feedback and information.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.