Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:49:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ignition Problem - 2007 CBR  (Read 3672 times)

Offline POE

• View Profile
Ignition Problem - 2007 CBR
« on: August 23, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
Got on the bike this morning and it wouldn't start. All visible electrical systems are fine. All the fuses are still good.

When I went to start the bike, I hit the starter and everything sounded normal but I didn't hold it long enough for the engine to fire. I let off too soon but I knew it wasn't going to start so I hit the button again almost immediately while the engine was probably still in motion. I don't know if that could have somehow made a surge to the system or what, but the second time I hit the button the bike sounded different and it didn't start. It sounded like the kill switch was turned to the off position. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key. All the lights and the dash work just fine. And like I said, the fuses are all good. Oh, and if I spin the engine around a little I can smell fuel. So I'm assuming it's not the injection.

The only thing I can figure is that somehow the bike isn't getting any spark. Any ideas about what I should be looking for?

EDIT: Well, I just took a fairing off and stuck a multi-meter to the plug wire and it appears that there is spark. Soooo.... did I blew up an ECU or rectifier or something? I'm not the smartest when it comes to modern electrical systems.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:44:20 PM by POE »

Offline POE

• View Profile
Re: Ignition Problem - 2007 CBR
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
I don't think that's it. I first had trouble this morning at 7am and it acted the exact same way when I got home from work at 6pm.

Plus, the first time I hit the starter it was only for about half a second. Immediately when i hit the starter the second time it sounded different and wouldn't fire.

I'm convinced it has to be something electrical.

Offline POE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:27:33 PM »
It actually does turn over with the kill switch in the off position, it just doesn't spark.  I'll throw the charger on tonight just in case it is low.

Offline POE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
Ya, I'm pretty sure I was doing it earlier to see if I could hear a difference in sound as it was turning over with the kill switch in different positions.

Offline POE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:39:02 AM »
Yup. That's what it was. FLOODED. I burned out my battery last night trying to start it. Charged it over night. Burned the starter again this morning for nearly 30 seconds, but it finally fired.

Wow, never knew this could happen. Thanks for the help!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
It actually does turn over with the kill switch in the off position, it just doesn't spark.  I'll throw the charger on tonight just in case it is low.

Poe, did you check that again?  Does your starter really turn over with the kill switch in the off position?  I've got a bunch of old bikes, and only one of the oldest ones (1978 Honda Hawk CB400TII) turns over with the kill switch turned off.  I don't think I've got anything newer than 1980 that spins the starter with the kill switch turned off.

Just curious.

Brent

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:09 PM »
It is probably just flooded. unlike a car where you can hold the thottle wide open and it cuts off the injectors- that trick wont work on your bike-so wait and then retry later (once the extra fuel is evaporated)

Is there a reason that trick won't work on an '07 CBR?  It seems to work on all of my bikes, carbed or injected.  Wouldn't it let more air into the combustion chamber?  Just wondering.

Brent

Offline POE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »
I'm pretty darn sure it does turn over with the kill switch turned 'off'. I'll test it again tonight to be sure. I do recall being embarassed when I try to start my bike and it spins and spins because the kill switch is 'off'. Then I flip it to run and everything is fine and I drive away quick so people stop staring and thinking about how stupid I was.

Thanks to you guys I'm really second guessing myself and I'm really curious to find out if my memory is good or bad :P

Offline POE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:34 PM »
It is probably just flooded. unlike a car where you can hold the thottle wide open and it cuts off the injectors- that trick wont work on your bike-so wait and then retry later (once the extra fuel is evaporated)

Is there a reason that trick won't work on an '07 CBR?  It seems to work on all of my bikes, carbed or injected.  Wouldn't it let more air into the combustion chamber?  Just wondering.

Brent
It seemed to work for me. The guys on 600rr.net told me to hold it WOT and keep spinning the engine. I moved the throttle somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 and found that it was more likely to sputter there. So I just kept trying to spin it in that sweet spot until it finally sparked enough to run.

I don't understand the whole WOT = shuts injectors. But I got my bike running so I don't care too much about the "why it happened" part right now, lol.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:22:16 PM by POE »

PKPK

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
I don't think I've got anything newer than 1980 that spins the starter with the kill switch turned off.

Just curious.

Brent

My 94 ST1100 turned over with the kill switch on.  I used that "feature" to circulate oil after a change before I fired the motor.