Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:01:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chain Adjustment  (Read 2834 times)

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
Chain Adjustment
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:48 AM »
Some questions on Chain adjustment. I recently adjusted the chain on the Aprilia I bought, the guy had it way too tight. My understanding has been that you are better off having it looser than tighter because having it too tight can bind during suspension travel as well as wear out your sprockets faster.

Other than measuring the slack in the chain all the time, what is a good rule of thumb for adjusting your chain? This would be for your average, street ridden bike.
Is it every 500 miles, 1000 miles, 1500, 2000?

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline nraforevr

• View Profile
Re: Chain Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Adjust only when necessary.

In my experience (limited), a new chain -- if installed properly and kept clean -- will need to be adjusted only once or twice in the first 3/4 of its life, and then five to ten times during the last 1/4 of its life. Once it starts to go, it goes quickly, wears exponentially.

My three chains on the VFR I adjusted once at about 15K, once at about 20K, then about once every 1-2K for the remaining 6-10K miles.

Pat
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

PKPK

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 01:10:35 PM »
I use the "TK guidelines".  When the chain starts slipping on the sprocket while on the roughest northern Wisconsin county road, pull over and tighten it.

:D

PKPK

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »
I use the "TK guidelines".  When the chain starts slipping on the sprocket while on the roughest northern Wisconsin county road, pull over and tighten it.

:D

I have too many customers this way, I guess that is good for chain and sprocket sales?

Weird thing is this is on his new Kaw!  I don't know if the chain was loose from the factory, or his first tire change.  I think the axle nut came loose.    :o

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:45:07 PM »
Chains are adjustable?   :D

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 09:28:37 PM »
Chains are not very adjustable, but they are stretchable  :P
I check mine every time I lube it, better to be slightly loose than too tight. I only adjust it if it's outside of the recommended parameters.