Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:10:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decent eatery in Arcadia, WI?  (Read 4680 times)

Offline HSL

• View Profile
Decent eatery in Arcadia, WI?
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:34:05 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the restaurants in or around Arcadia are recommendable for a lunch break?  Doesn't have to be gourmet but should be clean and good quality food.
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 ABS

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Decent eatery in Arcadia, WI?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »
"Clean" and "good quality food" are too subjective to mean anything.  ;D  I liked Wheeler's, but I heard other people say the food was terrible.

Hanson's Holdup is overpriced and the owner is a jerk.

I didn't think the Ashley HomeStore restaurant was worth going back to, but maybe someone else did.

I saw a billboard for a place called "Detox Bar and Grill" or something like that.  I wouldn't mind checking it out some day, but I don't even remember where I saw the sign.

Kwik Trip is consistent, efficient, and reasonably priced.  They even have a picnic table.

Brent

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »
Hanson's Holdup is overpriced and the owner is a jerk.**

**Results may vary   ;D
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:27 AM »
Hanson's Holdup is overpriced and the owner is a jerk.**

**Results may vary   ;D

I guess you're right.  One time he was a jerk; the other time he was a dickhead.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Kwik Trip in Arcadia. Fried Chicken, Polish & Brats, cold sandwiches, soup and microwave burritos.  :)

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline HSL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies!  The Kwik Trip sure is nice as far as Kwik Trips go.  But with the people I have in tow I had hoped for finding something more, how shall I say... regional.  I never thought of Arcadia as a great place for eating out but geographically it's the outer limit for the kind of ride I'm looking at.  I may run down there this weekend and look at some of Brent's suggestions.
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 ABS

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »
Kwik Trip needs a new picnic table and more than one. Wheelers is closed. Right in old down town there are many places to sit down and eat, check it out. Close to the Subway on the other sied of the street.

Offline mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:40:45 AM »
kwik trip is definately gourmet dining at its best!

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
The Kwik Trip is a staple place to eat. I thought the Pub was okay, not great, but not bad. Of course my fries tasted somewhat like earwax go figure.
Fountain City has better eateries imho, if you run down hwy 95 to get there that's a bonus.

PKPK

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »
I guess you're right.  One time he was a jerk; the other time he was a dickhead.

Not my impression one bit.  He has always been courteous and friendly to me.  One year, I stopped there on a blustery day and while sitting on the deck, making a phone call, he brought out a cup of coffee, and I hadn't even been inside or waited on. 

He did allude to the stress of running that place.  Periodically he puts it up for sale to see if anyone bites (asked me if I was interested.)  I got the impression that he would love nothing more than to walk away from it but it's the only cash flow he has right now.

Offline Cam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Not my impression one bit.  He has always been courteous and friendly to me.  One year, I stopped there on a blustery day and while sitting on the deck, making a phone call, he brought out a cup of coffee, and I hadn't even been inside or waited on. 
Guy is very personable in a one-on-one/small group basis.  On busy weekends during the summer with a place full of bikes he is definitely more down to business.  But whatever one's impression of the owner might be, Hansen's is a nice place to stop, especially on a sunny fall day with the valley in full color.  Probably the most "unique" place you are going to find in the immediate vicinity of Arcadia.  Prices are in-line with what I'd expect for a bar & grill style place. 
Cam
'02 ZZR1200 || '07 KLR650 || '72 CL350
'98 XV1100S || '93 XJ600 || '82 XJ650

PKPK

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
I didn't think the Ashley HomeStore restaurant was worth going back to, but maybe someone else did.

I liked it.  Thought the food was great.  Probably overkill for a bike lunch though.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 04:34:25 PM »
Take 95 into Fountain City

http://www.monarchtavern.com/

Irish Pub I stopped at a couple of times. Good Food.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
What about that little dive right on main street with the good ma and pa food ?  (And the really disgusting bathrooms that are so awful I've taken pictures!) 
It's called Mary Kay's Kitchen if I'm not mistaken, and one must really experience it at least ONCE! 

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »
Nah, before I eat there again I'll make it all the way to Fayzees in La Crosse for one of their huge cinnamon rolls mmm...
Fountain City is good, if you twist your way to the bridge you can find decent food right across the river in Winona at Timbers.