Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flood Run Sept 18  (Read 1772 times)

Offline HSL

• View Profile
Flood Run Sept 18
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
Just as I was about to figure out the gourmet issues in Arcadia I ran into a huge snafu.  I wanted to take a few people on a ride into Wisconsin on Sept 18.  But now I learned about that Flood Run the same day and found that pretty scary.

What's the consensus on riding that day -- just forget it, or would it be ok once you reach the hinterland?  Is there any general experience about the dynamics of that thing?  Do they pretty much all start at the same time and location (it's scheduled for 10:30), so that one could stay ahead of the crowd if we'd want to cross over to some alphabet roads?  Will they pretty much stay on WI-35?  Or will the entire area be teeming with drunk riders from early in the morning?
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 ABS

PKPK

Re: Flood Run Sept 18
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
I've ridden that area a lot on Flood Run day.  Sometimes on purpose so I can dip down into Maiden Rock and/or Nelson to check out the bling and brat.  Generally there is little traffic up in the interior hills on the secondary roads.  Probably the biggest headache is getting over there as you inevitably have to cross over somewhere and you don't want to do that in the busy period.  Plan on crossing no later than 9  am.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
I've ridden that area a lot on Flood Run day.  Sometimes on purpose so I can dip down into Maiden Rock and/or Nelson to check out the bling and brat.  Generally there is little traffic up in the interior hills on the secondary roads.  Probably the biggest headache is getting over there as you inevitably have to cross over somewhere and you don't want to do that in the busy period.  Plan on crossing no later than 9  am.

I agree with Paul. Stay away from HWY 35 and you will *mostly* avoid the twice a year weekend warriors.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline mngir1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
I've begun to look at the Flood Run as a great day to head in the opposite direction. :)

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
You gotta head out early. Prescott becomes a nightmare to get through,as does Nelson and Alma etc. and there are leo's everywhere along 35 and hwy 61. On the alphabets you can usually count on it being deserted as usual, just look over your should for the airplane.

PKPK

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
......... just look over your should for the airplane.

Yep, this is the only time I run into air patrols.  Keep it down to 50 so they won't "clock" you for anymore than 90 (reference 205 Tilly.)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »
I have found that 10 is fine on "flood days."  Run down to 35 and make a U-turn back up.

Even running the opposite direction than the major traffic can be slow.

I wasn't aware of air patrols during these runs.  Good to know.