Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:51:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mark Twain Advice  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Mark Twain Advice
« on: September 18, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Hello All,
   Thumbing the blade in the Ozarks and having a grand old time. Larry B, Jared P, Tonk K, Duke, Greg and James from KC need some advice. Monday is our Missouri day and we're wondering if any one knows the surface conditions of the roads in the sections of the Mark Twain National Forest east of Mountain View and Salem, Mo.
Any input is appreciated!

Yes, Virginia, Santa does exist and he created Japanese inline 4's and the Ozark Mountains.  :)

Cheers Pagans

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Twain Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:54:06 PM »
Been a few years since I rode Mark Twain, but the conditions were almost as good as AR the last time I rode the area.

Join Missouri - Southern IL MSTA YahooGroup for more detail and up to date road conditions.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
...we're wondering if any one knows the surface conditions of the roads in the sections of the Mark Twain National Forest east of Mountain View and Salem, Mo.

The state highways are nearly all silky smooth pavement.  County roads vary widely, and are generally rougher than typical Arkansas roads.

Two must-rides for me, when I'm in the area, are

-MO 19 for about 20 miles northbound from Eminence; and

-DD and P between MO 32 to the south and Potosi to the north.  DD is my favorite road in southeast Missouri.  It had fresh asphalt a year or two ago.

Have fun and be safe!

Brent
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:24:03 AM by beedawg »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »
We just road thought there hwy 160 was very nice. very smooth not very technical, the corners were very wide sweepers
Chris
----------

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »
Thanks Brent. We rode that stretch of MO 19 both directions. Fun Road!

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
A little follow-up story on this day of the trip. We rode State Hwy E north from HWY 60 near Winona, Mo to HWY 106. We then jogged over to HWY 19 and had a wonderful time, thanks for that tip! While we were headed north on State Hwy E (about the width of a nicer “lettered” road in Wisconsin, comparable to CTY P for example) we came upon a large gravel dump truck moving along at a decent clip, (50-55mph?). I happened to be in the front and passed him first. I thought he seemed to edge a little into my space as I passed him, but dismissed it as just chance.

As Tony and Jared passed him he edged farther and farther into their space as each one passed, clearly trying to spook (or worse?) them as I guess he didn’t like us passing. I’m not prone to violence and haven’t been in a fight since the age of 12, but that angered me to no end.
Given that we were in meth country (Southern Missouri is one of the worst in the country) and I had no idea if he was armed, I’m glad sensible thoughts overrode the anger I was feeling. For a moment I really wanted to …….   >:D

Anyway, be careful on State Hwy E  

Greg
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
I've had this happen a couple of times, each involving a pick-up. 

What should be a simple, safe pass becomes truly dangerous.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:35:32 PM »
A little follow-up story on this day of the trip. We rode State Hwy E north from HWY 60 near Winona, Mo to HWY 106. We then jogged over to HWY 19 and had a wonderful time, thanks for that tip! While we were headed north on State Hwy E (about the width of a nicer “lettered” road in Wisconsin, comparable to CTY P for example) we came upon a large gravel dump truck moving along at a decent clip, (50-55mph?). I happened to be in the front and passed him first. I thought he seemed to edge a little into my space as I passed him, but dismissed it as just chance.

As Tony and Jared passed him he edged farther and farther into their space as each one passed, clearly trying to spook (or worse?) them as I guess he didn’t like us passing. I’m not prone to violence and haven’t been in a fight since the age of 12, but that angered me to no end.
Given that we were in meth country (Southern Missouri is one of the worst in the country) and I had no idea if he was armed, I’m glad sensible thoughts overrode the anger I was feeling. For a moment I really wanted to …….   >:D

Anyway, be careful on State Hwy E   

Greg

Reading this reminded me of that day, hadn't thought about it for a while.  That dude was a major tool.  I barely made it past him (he had come 1/2 - 2/3 in my lane by the time I made it by) and Tony and Duc ended up thinking better of it and hanging back.  I've been down to that neck of the woods a handful of times and have NEVER seen any driver act like this.  I was a bit angry, but more than anything it harshed my buzz on what was otherwise a really awesome day of twisties.  The more I thought about it over the next couple of days the more I was left with a WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?! feeling.  I'm a major believer in karma and the golden rule and a lot of the time I think that people are coming from the same place.  This douche was definitely not.

JP