Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Arkansas Fall 2010  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Jared

• View Profile
Arkansas Fall 2010
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:35 AM »
I thought I’d post up a quick recap from our ride over the last weekend down in Arkansas.  It was a great time!  We left Friday morning and trailered down, rode Saturday, Sunday and Monday and then returned back Tuesday.  Riders were me, Tony, Duke, Greg and Larry with James H from KC joining us for one day.

Friday night: we arrived into Harrison and got everything unloaded.  Duke and I couldn’t resist and popped out for a quick loop consisting of Hwy 7, 74 and 43 back into Harrison.  It got dark faster than I thought it would and the second half of the loop was in the dark.  Riding switchbacks on Hwy 43 in the dark is NOT on my list of things to do ever again...  I was on a brand new Power Pure which was not instantly confidence inspiring but really grew on me throughout the trip.  We made it back to the house in one piece looking forward to our first day of riding.

Saturday: The day started off REALLY foggy.  We rode up to an awesome diner for breakfast and spent about 45 minutes eating and waiting for the fog to burn off.  By the time we left it was almost all gone with a couple of patches here and there for the first hour of riding.  Roads included 7, 14, 16, 21, 43, 74, 123 and 341.  Weather was sunny for the day with a high in the upper 80s.  Total mileage from the house back to the house was a bit over 300.  James, Tony and I took a quick break when we got back to BS and grab a water, then headed back out for the same 70 mile loop Duke and had done the night before.  It was way more fun in the daylight…  7 would be so awesome if it weren't for the traffic, but is still a great time in between the cars and trucks.  When we got back James had to load up and head back to KC.

Sunday: Got a bit of a slower start this morning.  I know that I was definitely a little sore from the day before.  After breakfast we headed out and hit 7, 16, 21, 23, 74, 123.  Weather was sunny and low 90s.  Even though we rode a lot of the same roads, the bulk of our day was spent further southwest than we were on Saturday so there was very little overlap between the two days.  23 and 123 were my favorite roads of the day but everything we rode was really fun.  Total mileage was somewhere around 350.

Monday: Decided to head up into MO on this day.  Highs were in the upper 80s and sunny again, but it felt cooler I think because we headed a bit north and it was less humid.  We took 125 north and then on Brent’s advice we headed pretty far east and picked up 19 which along with KK was awesome.  Larry rode with us through lunchtime and then broke off to head back home.  This day is a bit blurry for me since we were on a bunch of roads I hadn’t ridden before, but we for sure hit 5, 14, 16, 19, 125, 160, 181, D and KK, then slabbed it back in on 62 for 45 minutes to get back to Harrison.  Mileage was 450 this day, partly because we had to double back on 19 when the ferry at K/KK was closed (cue banjo music).  Overall the roads in MO were in a bit worse shape than in AR but still lots of fun to be had.  We pulled back into Harrison around dusk and then loaded the bikes up in the dark.

Overall an awesome trip.  Saw more cops than I have in the past down there, but didn't get a second look from any of them.  Locals were nice as always and the food for the most part was cheap and good.  Total miles for the group was a bit over 1100 (or 1250 if you're using Yamaha math :)).  Thanks to Greg for planning and coordinating and Roger for helping out with the logistics.  GREAT group of riders, great roads and a great time.

JP

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: Arkansas Fall 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »
 Even though we rode a lot of the same roads....... very little overlap between the two days.

JP

Am I misreading the comments above?  :-\  If you look at the link I'm providing, there was very little overlap (save for the folks that ran 43, 74 & 7 three days in a row  :D)

Excellent trip and great company. Other areas of the country have better vistas, but for pure "wringing-the-neck-of-your-sportbike" riding (very little traffic, very few LEA, great pavement and curves as far as the eye can see) .... nothing beats Arkansas IMO.

Saturday ;

Sunday ;   

Monday ;

All routes ran clockwise

Zoom zoom

Greg

*edit*  Map for Saturday doesn't include the southern 12 miles of Push Mountain Rd (HWY 341). We rode it out and back from HWY 14.
"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:48:37 AM by stevens_ave929 »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »
Oops.  What I meant to say was even though we rode a lot of the same road #s, it was different parts of the road each day.  Does that make sense?

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
sounds like a good ride. Did you guys try Blue Mountain in Plextor (where 123, 7 and 16 all meet up)
Chris
----------

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
Great writeup Jared.  Big thanks to Greg and Jared for leading 90% of the time. We hit all my favorite roads plus there were a few discoveries for me.
The first half of T was a big surprise. MO 19 was fun. The south portion of 123 was new to me and I loved it. Hope we can do this again next year.
Larry B gets the long distance award for riding there and back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 11:08:41 AM by tk »

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
sounds like a good ride. Did you guys try Blue Mountain in Plextor (where 123, 7 and 16 all meet up)

No, but we rode past there twice. Once on Saturday when we were running west on 16, then on Sunday when we were riding 123 southbound.
This photo was taken in the parking lot of the same place back in 03 or 04. Robert Masada and Tom (from KC) are the other bikes in the photo.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.