Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Body Position?  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
Re: Body Position?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
I may have figured it out.  Counter-leaning takes less physical effort.

I just returned from a ride.  I found that if I counter-lean it is easy to initiate a turn by pushing on the bar in the direction of the turn and pulling on the opposite bar.  Your body turning to the outside and the bar turning go together well.

Steering takes more effort when you also lean into the turn.  The total pressure on the bars isn't really different, it just takes more perceived effort as it isn't as easy to use the big muscles in your shoulders, back and hips to turn the bars.

I'm not suggesting anyone is lazy.  Rather like all animals we prefer actions which take less energy to accomplish.

I'm finding I make better turns when turn-in and apex are relatively late, with a quickish turn-in involving simultaneous bar movement and weight shifting to the inside. 

I like getting better. :)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
You lost me. I need to read this not on my phone.
Chris
----------

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 06:17:05 PM »
I tend to counter balance steer when I'm worried about traction, in anticipation of switchback combinations, when I'm cold or tired. I did it allot on Slimey Crud as my neck was killing me and I found it impossible to bend my neck enough to keep a proper field of vision when leaned over and hanging off the inside. Rode like crap all day. and my neck is still killing me... Hopefully I'll get things squared away enough to do Frosty Pumpkin.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »
I started riding dirt bikes when I was 12 and rode them till I was 30, I have a lot of trouble with this very thing. Old habits die hard, I will catch myself when I'm already in the corner, and from what I've read this is the wrong time to change posision on the bike. Now that I'm older how can I train myself to do it right without breaking my neck. I have just joined MSTA and am so stoked about learning how to become a better, faster and safer rider. So if some of you cats will take a little time to help me out I would be forever greatfull, thanks.
Push Harder

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »
Mike -

There are a couple of organizations that run schools at the Dakota County Technical College (DCTC).  ridingcourse.com and advancedridingschool.net.  Both Steve and Jessica provide an excellent environment to learn and hone your skills in a safe and controlled environment.

Tim...

I started riding dirt bikes when I was 12 and rode them till I was 30, I have a lot of trouble with this very thing. Old habits die hard, I will catch myself when I'm already in the corner, and from what I've read this is the wrong time to change posision on the bike. Now that I'm older how can I train myself to do it right without breaking my neck. I have just joined MSTA and am so stoked about learning how to become a better, faster and safer rider. So if some of you cats will take a little time to help me out I would be forever greatfull, thanks.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »
Mike -

There are a couple of organizations that run schools at the Dakota County Technical College (DCTC).  ridingcourse.com and advancedridingschool.net.  Both Steve and Jessica provide an excellent environment to learn and hone your skills in a safe and controlled environment.

Tim...

Thanks Tim I will look into some local college in Duluth for the same.
Push Harder

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
. . . how can I train myself to do it right without breaking my neck.

The exact reason I started this thread.  There is always more to learn.

If riding well wasn't a challenge we probably wouldn't find it as fun.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:21 AM »
this guy has it figured out
Chris
----------

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
Good pic.