Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 07:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rattle Can Painting  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Jared

• View Profile
Rattle Can Painting
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »
Hey All,

I picked up a set of bodywork over the summer which I have been rocking in an awesome shade of primer gray for a couple of months.  Now that the bike's up for the winter I am going to rattle can a paint job onto it.  I have zero experience w/painting bodywork, so looking for a bit of advice.  I'm not going for a flawless finish, but if there are a couple of easy steps I can take to make it come out better I'd be all ears.

Right now the bodywork has the primer from the manufacturer on it, and it's in pretty good shape.  I was planning on hitting it with a 3M sanding pad, wiping it down and then spraying it, any suggestions on additional steps?  My plan is also to do a two tone paint job so any recommendations on how to mask it off/what kind of tape to use would be awesome.,

TIA!

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
Re: Rattle Can Painting
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:59:05 PM »
I know a few guys on the MNSBR forum have done this with fantastic results.  U may wish to post there as well (in the track sub-group) & see what u sort of answers u get.  I'd have to say that the blue painters tape we use to tape off lights & such for DCTC days would work great.  Comes off easy and zero residue. ;D

Keep us posted with updates & pics
~D
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline dl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »
I was thinking that they even make rattle can paint for plastic these days. I'm pretty sure when the professionals paint auto bumpers they add a chemical to the paint to keep it somewhat more flexible for the plastic bumper. Don't know if that would be needed for your bike though.
'99 Sprint ST

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
I ended up doing this on my fairings and overall it
Turned out pretty good with a little hard work and a lot
Of time. Sanding is where you'll need to focus if
You want a nice looking paint job. Use a fine grain sandpaper to wet sand
So you can get everything real smooth. Use thin coats to avoid dripping and
I'd suggest hanging what your painting up so you can spray at eye level. There is also plastic specific paint that sticks real well that you can pick up at menards that works well.. Good winter project eh :)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
blue painters tape

I agree with D. This tape comes off clean and leaves zero residue.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »
I know a few guys on the MNSBR forum have done this with fantastic results.  U may wish to post there as well (in the track sub-group) & see what u sort of answers u get.  I'd have to say that the blue painters tape we use to tape off lights & such for DCTC days would work great.  Comes off easy and zero residue. ;D

Keep us posted with updates & pics
~D

Don't listen to her, her bike is full of glue :D
Chris
----------