Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Honda CBR1000rr  (Read 7901 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Honda CBR1000rr
« on: October 25, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
Sadly it's time for a new(er) bike. Funny how we bond with inanimate objects.  :-\
Details over at the circus.

http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56643

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CBR1000rr
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 09:10:48 PM »
It's just a bike. I think everyone was happy when I finally killed my ZX11 after 15 years. I think people were tired of seeing me with it.

Hmmm inquiring about Sprint 1050s and then putting your CBR up for sale.

Are congratulations in order yet?

At the very least best of luck selling your CBR!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Good luck, the shopping is always fun :)....
Chris
----------

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:08:24 PM »

Nothing purchased yet. Candidates are a 2007-2009 VFR, 2007-20009 Sprint ST (the Sprint GT for 2011 looks pretty, though I'm not buying new) .... I like the new Concours as well, but it's *new* so it's off the list. There was a 2007 VFR with 1500 miles (!) on Craigslist that I waited too long in pulling the trigger on. They wanted $6500, put alas it sold.

FJR is too big and heavy, same with the Honda 1300 though both are terrific bikes. Looking for a bike I can do long (as in riding out west or something) days on but still flickable. Then again, maybe I'll buy that RC51 also posted over at the circus.  :P

The last generation VFRs were pigs. About 60 more pounds up on the previous generation. Also prone to cooling problems. Give Larry B a shout. He can tell you about them or ask Pat H. why he prefers the previous generation. Larsons in Cambridge was selling new leftover warrantied 2007 VFRs for $7,000 last week.

St. Boni was selling leftover C14s for $9K earlier this month. A forum member bought an '08 CBR1K used for under $6k about a month ago. Lots of deals out there.

Join BPMS Rat if you really want to find out about the Sprint ST. A few MSTA folks over there.

The best sport tourer out there right now is probably the BMW R1200S . Under 480lbs wet, 120 hp, and factory hard bags are available. Price is still too high on the used market for my blood, but the bike to have.

In my target price range, under $5K I thought the Aprilia Futura looked good, but was too physically large for me. I passed on a low mileage pristine stone stock one for $4k in September. The other appealing choices to me were the Ducati ST4S and ST2. The ST4S is of course pricey to maintain, but it is hard to beat a Ducati with factory Ohlins front and rear and factory bags. The ST2, can be had for close to $3K and is cheaper to maintain and except at high speeds every bit as fun as the ST4S.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
I owned a 6th gen VFR last year and it was a great bike. I would still have it but wanted to try out all types of bike before I get too old. Good luck, I think a VFR is a wise choice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:00:57 AM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

PKPK

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:26 AM »
I'll agree with Ray that the last gen VFR is a pig but I disagree with the "cooling problems".  Larry is the only one I have ever heard of having any problem with the cooling system and my old 2002 is still performing just fine for the new owner.  In fact, I think the cooling system is nearly identical to the prior generation.

Despite being a pig, that VFR is perfectly suited for long distance trips and will still provide plenty of fun in the twisties, provided it has an upgraded suspension.  I think  Honda made a perfect compromise for the long distance sportbiker with this model.  It's larger and less stressful on the joints and 800 mile days were enjoyable.

BUT....DOUBLE BUT.....I'm not sure Greg is going to enjoy the VFR without a big recalibration in riding style.  It's not going to resemble that 1000RR in Mindoro or Wildcat. 

Ray mentions BMW, Aprilia and Triumph.  Ummm, OK, they are nice bikes but I have one very big hangup about these Euro imports.  When Sanders stupid ring antenna failed in the middle of Kansas, we were looking at 275 miles to the closest BMW dealer.  It's one thing to equip an "adventure bike" with a key sensor that is prone to failure, but the lack of reasonable dealer locations make it a deal killer for long distance trips for me.  I'd probably entertain older models that do not have exotic garbage that makes you dependent on having to find a dealer.

PKPK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »
This is probably "out of the box" for you Greg but I have a hoot of a fun time on my DL1000 VStrom and it has the same quarter mile time as the VFR.  They are tractors as far as reliability go and I don't stress about road construction (VFR did not like ruts and sand.)  In fact, I purposely spend days touring Minnesota by gravel on that thing.  It's much easier to pack for camping on that bike than it is on the ST.  That bike works perfect for destination travel.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:34 PM »
Whatever you get Greg, make sure it has heated grips - trust me on this.

I would disagree with Ray on the best BMW sport tourer.  Having owned a R1100S (that is what you meant Ray?), and a K1200S, the K is a far superior tourer.  1200 miles in 22 hours on that bike.

There is no perfect bike for all riding situations; but the closest has to be the BMW R1200GS.   You must remember a few years back in AK when the 50 something dude blew past us on a GS.

Good luck in your decision.
Tim...

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:35:52 PM »

I would disagree with Ray on the best BMW sport tourer.  Having owned a R1100S (that is what you meant Ray?), and a K1200S, the K is a far superior tourer.  1200 miles in 22 hours on that bike.
Tim.,,,

Nope. Meant the R1200S. The updated model weighs about 40lbs less than the R1100S, has about 30 more HP, and is available with Ohlins suspension at both ends. Still nowhere near the HP of the K bike, but substantially less weight and purportedly superb suspension and handling.

PKPK

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »

I would disagree with Ray on the best BMW sport tourer.  Having owned a R1100S (that is what you meant Ray?), and a K1200S, the K is a far superior tourer.  1200 miles in 22 hours on that bike.
Tim.,,,

Nope. Meant the R1200S. The updated model weighs about 40lbs less than the R1100S, has about 30 more HP, and is available with Ohlins suspension at both ends. Still nowhere near the HP of the K bike, but substantially less weight and purportedly superb suspension and handling.

Are all these models equipped with that stupid ring antenna as well?  What was BMW thinking?

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:35:33 AM »
Interesting that BMW has problems with its ring antenna.  Ducatis have had immobilizer security systems for quite some time.  I have heard of few problems.

While it would be a pain to find the part on the road, it would be easy to replace.  It's just a plug and play piece with the ring mounted right under the ignition.  Simple to get at. 

Even better, if it fails on the road there is an override procedure using the twist grip.

Back to your regular programming.

PKPK

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
Interesting that BMW has problems with its ring antenna.  Ducatis have had immobilizer security systems for quite some time.  I have heard of few problems.

While it would be a pain to find the part on the road, it would be easy to replace.  It's just a plug and play piece with the ring mounted right under the ignition.  Simple to get at. 

Even better, if it fails on the road there is an override procedure using the twist grip.

There is no such override on the 2007 GS that Jeff has.  When the bike failed to turn over, he knew exactly what it was because it was already a known problem on the GS boards.  Despite the prevalence of the issue (BMW already had an upgrade to fix the problem.), the only solution is to carry a spare however there still needs to be programming performed to code match to the key.  So you either do this ahead of time, or visit a dealer (can't just order one flown overnight to your location.) 

BTW, we were able to get around it by throwing a bag of ice over the ignition switch.  It would start in the morning when cool but he could not shut off the bike during the day.  Once back home, he had it hauled to Moon Motors.

It might not fail frequently on other brands, but it is another failure point nonetheless.  I'm trying not to sound like a luddite here but sometimes there is technology that I can live without.  Key sensors and ignition fobs fall into this category.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »

BTW, we were able to get around it by throwing a bag of ice over the ignition switch.  It would start in the morning when cool but he could not shut off the bike during the day.  Once back home, he had it hauled to Moon Motors.

Very clever fix. 

I agree that if it is a known problem it needs to be taken into account.  It sounds like something to bypass.

PKPK

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »

Very clever fix. 

I agree that if it is a known problem it needs to be taken into account.  It sounds like something to bypass.

Can't bypass when it's part of the Can-Bus system.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:20 PM »
I bet there is a way; other CAN based bikes can be bypassed.  Cars also.

Again, if it is a known problem on certain BMWs I agree it needs to be taken into account when deciding to buy a bike.  There should not be this sort of problems on their bikes.