Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Should MNMSTA be a members eyes only forum?  (Read 5762 times)

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Should MNMSTA be a members eyes only forum?
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
It seems futile to ask a question and poll for answers when the thread is locked and poll results are hidden.

For what it's worth, I don't really care if the forum is restricted to members only.  The only good reason, in my opinion, for any restrictions, is to keep spammers out.

Brent
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:21:49 AM by beedawg »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: Should MNMSTA be a members eyes only forum?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »
I see both sides, keeping it to registered users and allowing everybody to see everything.
1) if you would like to ride with mn-msta sign up it's free, there are 190+ members right now, there are about 20 that post regularly.
2) having the page open, allows for "lerkers" who may join and contribute.
Chris
----------

PKPK

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »
What Chris said.  There are plenty of new riders who Google for MN riding boards and sample.  It's not very friendly if we say you can only view material by registering.  When I surf for other boards, I don't bother with ones that are hidden until you register.  I like it the way it is now and see no real reason to lock it to "members". 

BTW, some of this attitude demonstrated lately does not show our friendly side to people looking for a responsible, safe, friendly sport touring crowd.  :(

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
I agree conpletely with what PKPK said.  Also, spam doesn't seem to be a problem here like it was on the Yahoo board (kinda missing the "HOT RUSSIAN WOMEN" stuff we used to get). ;)

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »
  We don't need any elitism. I like the fact that an old fart like me can post unorganized rides(no GPS,route sheets,etc)and get a few others to show up and enjoy trying to get lost in the 'Hills'. Maybe next year I'll make it to an 'official ride'. I hope the Frosty pumpkin goes well for those who went. Guzzi John :banana:
john pierson

Offline mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
if your gonna lock it to registered members, then why not just lock it for paying members?  then you would have a forum of maybe 15 paying members in minnesota.  Yes Lloyd i am a paying member.  I just dont understand all this 5yr old thinking around here.  It seems like if people dont agree with a particular persons views, then the rampage begins on insulting people and throwing a temper tantrum.  The whole " im not getting my way,  so im quitting" thing is just dumb.  A few, 2 that i can think of due this quite often on here and other boards when called on their bullshit.  Its no big secret who these people are.  Very rarely is anything beneficial contributed to the forum other then personal attacks on people.  An example,  is kinda of like people posting up an invite only ride in a public section.  If its invite only, why not keep it to yourself and those you wish to attend privately.  Sorry another rant,  i know people who wont join any of these boards just because of all the drama that a few bring to the table.

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
I agree on the invite only, if its invite only, just send people a pm or email, no sense posting it.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »
 :banana:
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »
Next year when I want to ride with you guys I'll simply hope my telepathy is working that day.
If you want a good example of what paying to be in a club and or forums does, visit the Chippewa Valley forums and read some of their posts.

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
I'm good with how it is setup now.

Thanks Ray for all your hard work on putting this site together.
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »
Next year when I want to ride with you guys I'll simply hope my telepathy is working that day.
If you want a good example of what paying to be in a club and or forums does, visit the Chippewa Valley forums and read some of their posts.

I've had trouble logging in over at the Chippewa Valley club's forum the last couple of times I've tried.

Is their site dwindling? Is it a "pay" club now? If so, perhaps that's why I can't log in?

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
i say it basically depends on the stance of the board owner; if he wants to let us decide, then it's up to us to sort it out.

i personally don't think that restricting board access will address much of the unfortunate personal disagreements/dislike and apparent lack of respect that we have seen recent examples of here.  as a new-ish member, i really like the "ride-focused" nature of this board thus far and i hope that the prevailing vibe is one where differences can be dealt with or put aside and we can all match up with the riders and rides that we enjoy.

would i pay to be in this club?  maybe.  would i register to view / participate, well, that depends on how i got here and what was available to see prior to joining.  a personal invitation from someone who knows what i like would have sufficed, as would a publicly viewable mission statement (or something) that describes how much you guys like serious rides.  i doubt anyone who does sign up and then doesn't find the forum to be what they want to participate in will be completely offended and go badmouth it...  so from that perspective the risk is pretty small.  i guess you'd also risk not having people join because of the restrictions, but that comes back to having some public content that would convince them that signing up is easy and worth it.

a.s.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »
i really like the "ride-focused" nature of this board thus far and i hope that the prevailing vibe is one where differences can be dealt with or put aside and we can all match up with the riders and rides that we enjoy.

+1 !

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »
I'm good with how it is setup now.

Thanks Ray for all your hard work on putting this site together.

+1

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Lloyd

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 02:45:44 PM »
if your gonna lock it to registered members, then why not just lock it for paying members?  then you would have a forum of maybe 15 paying members in minnesota.  Yes Lloyd i am a paying member.  I just dont understand all this 5yr old thinking around here.  It seems like if people dont agree with a particular persons views, then the rampage begins on insulting people and throwing a temper tantrum.  The whole " im not getting my way,  so im quitting" thing is just dumb.  A few, 2 that i can think of due this quite often on here and other boards when called on their bullshit.  Its no big secret who these people are.  Very rarely is anything beneficial contributed to the forum other then personal attacks on people.  An example,  is kinda of like people posting up an invite only ride in a public section.  If its invite only, why not keep it to yourself and those you wish to attend privately.  Sorry another rant,  i know people who wont join any of these boards just because of all the drama that a few bring to the table.

Since your post is once again apparently there to provoke a response.

Congratulations on being a MSTA member. If there was a gold star smiley or something to pin on your chest, I would post it up.