Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saddlesore 1000  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Saddlesore 1000
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:05:25 PM »
Okay so I've just started planning my first IBA ride and was hoping to get a few tips. I've been working on maitnence and finally have time to go through my bike, so bout all that's left is sport touring tires to replace my Dunlop qualifiers.. Gonna miss the traction but getting only a few thousand miles out. Of a set just isn't worth it. :( my route right now goes from fridley to Virginia mn, then to bemidji then onto grandforks ND. From there I'll
 Going south to Sioux falls then Albert Lea back home to fridley. I know it's a long ride but with good prep easily possible, just wanted to know whAt you guys thought :) 
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Saddlesore 1000
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Okay so I've just started planning my first IBA ride and was hoping to get a few tips. I've been working on maitnence and finally have time to go through my bike, so bout all that's left is sport touring tires to replace my Dunlop qualifiers.. Gonna miss the traction but getting only a few thousand miles out. Of a set just isn't worth it. :( my route right now goes from fridley to Virginia mn, then to bemidji then onto grandforks ND. From there I'll
 Going south to Sioux falls then Albert Lea back home to fridley. I know it's a long ride but with good prep easily possible, just wanted to know whAt you guys thought :) 

We did that route as a group a long time ago, with just a few differences.  We started at the McStop in Lakeville, and we finished at Roger's place in Chaska, in order to make sure we got enough miles.  We did it in June and had daylight for nearly the whole ride.  I had a blast!

We did another one a few years ago that included Grand Rapids, Hwy 38 to Effie, Hwy 1 to 61, and then a fairly direct route to Wildcat Mountain, Hwy 131, Prairie du Chien, and then I think US 18 to Mason City, and I-35 home.  That last leg was tough, but the rest of the ride was fun.  It took longer than the first route, but I thought it was worth the extra time.

The best advice I ever heard is to just keep reminding yourself the whole way how lucky you are to have nothing to do all day but ride your motorsickle.

Second best advice is to do one day of at least 500 miles first.

Brent

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:41:09 PM »
It is a pointless, stupid, ridiculous thing to do.  Having done 1200 miles in 22 hours, just to say I have done it was a major regret... Never again!

Tim...

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
hell, I would be up for it...  

I don't know how the Metzlar M5 would do on your bike (Contours 14), but I like them so far on the R1.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:44:55 PM by Chris »
Chris
----------

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
Brent- Yeah from what I've read and rides I've been on it seemed like this was the best route cause it has some interstate so the speeds will be a little higher but at the same time with the first stretch out near Virginia I've heard it's real scenic. I'm planning on leaving around 4am or so so most of the riding will be during the day Aka fewer deer and away from closing time at the bars...
Tim- well hey it's not like I got anything better to do :0
Chris- yeah I was deciding between the metzler roadtec z6's or the michelin pilot roads

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
enjoy the journey.  i did something like this but I encorporated my trip to tail of the dragon, so I had more purpose. 

doesn't matter, enjoy the ride as it is a challenge.  gene

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »
i did something like this but I encorporated my trip to tail of the dragon, so I had more purpose. 

I've thought about something like that but at this point with everything going on It'd be real hard to find time for a few days off to take a trip. Just picked up a camelback for hydration while riding, picked up bicycle shots and got an appointment set at the shop for a good once over, anything else im missing? :)
Hope everyone is enjoying this tropical weather we have been having lately hehe

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:27:34 PM »
-8F here in Afton this morning.

Elk not amused.

Offline Sanders

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
A klr with knobbies is the only way to do a saddle sore 1k. Don't ask me how I know...
Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:04:02 PM »
i did something like this but I encorporated my trip to tail of the dragon, so I had more purpose. 

I've thought about something like that but at this point with everything going on It'd be real hard to find time for a few days off to take a trip. Just picked up a camelback for hydration while riding, picked up bicycle shots and got an appointment set at the shop for a good once over, anything else im missing? :)
Hope everyone is enjoying this tropical weather we have been having lately hehe

You are doing this now in Dec?  I thought you were just planning for the future.  Hydration is key to keep you from feeling more fatigue than you already will be.  Camels work, but I was getting gas every 150 miles anyways, so I didn't really need to worry about carrying fluids, because I always peed and drank at the gas stops.  Plus, you are going to want to walk around a bit to help with the numbness and tingling so you probably won't be fueling then flying.  Include tire plugs, air compressor ect to ensure this planning doesn't get tripped up by something simple.  Also music or something that keeps you awake, like gum can help with the monotony, especially after you creep over the 12 hr mark. 

Get ahead in the first 10 hours, because the last 7-10 hours will be difficult and thus plan longer breaks then.  gene

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:20 PM »
NO way in hell would I do this in december! Think by my first. Fill up I'd have frostbite.yeah I've got a scalable rider communication system so I can hook up my phone and my iPod to listen to if I get too bored :) when would u suggest leaving? I was thinking real early, but some people I've talked to said leave the night before like midnite so all of your tired riding is in the daylight and your body is tricked into staying awake
Jvs
Isn't it nice spending all this time planning so eons doses ride just cause it's so dang cold

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
A klr with knobbies is the only way to do a saddle sore 1k. Don't ask me how I know...
you my friend are crazy :) brings new meaning to a saddle  sore haha