Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:20:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intro - Lloyd H.  (Read 2457 times)

Offline antimatter

• View Profile
Intro - Lloyd H.
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
Hi everyone.  My name's Lloyd and I've been a member of the Yahoo list for a few months.  I'm also a member of another local board (more sport-bike oriented).  I've been riding since 1979, but I did take a decade off during the late 80's to start a career.  I own three bikes currently, a 2000 BMW R1100RT (commuter), a 2005 ZX-6R (track bike), and a Suzuki DR-650 (hot weather/gravel roads).  Most of the street riding I do is commuting from Maple Grove to downtown Mpls, excepting a few back road exploring that I do on the DR-650.  My real love lately has been doing track days, and I try to do one a month during the summer.

I'm looking forward to coming out of lurkdom this summer and meeting a few folks locally.
2000 BMW R1100RT, 2005 ZX-6R, & 2008 DR-650

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Intro - Lloyd H.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:27 PM »
<snip> I own three bikes currently, a 2000 BMW R1100RT (commuter), a 2005 ZX-6R (track bike), and a Suzuki DR-650 (hot weather/gravel roads).

Now THAT is a smart assortment of bikes.

I've got an RT-P that has been in need of a transmission (don't dare say 'tranny' around here) swap or repair for two years -- and I even have one that could be swapped in.  My R6 is street legal, which is just another way of saying it's one good crash away from becoming a track bike, but I like touring on it, especially in hot weather.  I don't have a dual sport, but I ride Debby's F650 sometimes.  Truth is, she kinda lost interest in it when she got the FZ6, so I put myself in charge of exercising it.  (I hate the seat on that bike, and the suspension needs help, but it's a fun bike to ride.)

Brent

Offline debbyjass

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
<snip> Truth is, she kinda lost interest in it when she got the FZ6, so I put myself in charge of exercising it.  (I hate the seat on that bike, and the suspension needs help, but it's a fun bike to ride.)

Well, a girl can have her favorites, can't she?!?  I loved my Beemer when that was all I had.  Now, it's hard to say no to my Yamaha when she's calling my name all of the time.   ;)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline antimatter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39:09 AM »
Now THAT is a smart assortment of bikes.

I've got an RT-P that has been in need of a transmission (don't dare say 'tranny' around here) swap or repair for two years -- and I even have one that could be swapped in.  My R6 is street legal, which is just another way of saying it's one good crash away from becoming a track bike, but I like touring on it, especially in hot weather.  I don't have a dual sport, but I ride Debby's F650 sometimes.  Truth is, she kinda lost interest in it when she got the FZ6, so I put myself in charge of exercising it.  (I hate the seat on that bike, and the suspension needs help, but it's a fun bike to ride.)

Brent

I have the BMW because I always wanted one.  I switched jobs in 1998 from a company that was very button downed to one that did workplace casual, and that got me thinking about getting back into motorcycles.  One of the first bikes I spotted used was a glacier green R1100RT, but it was above my budget at the time.  It makes a great commuter, but the real reason I haven't sold it is every time I see it in the garage I still think its one of the coolest bikes on the road.  The ZX-6R is there simply because I wanted a sport bike for track days and I got a good deal on it.  The DR-650 is another one of those bikes that's fun to rip around on and is easy and cheap to maintain.  Lots of used parts available and checking the valves takes about 10 minutes.  That and riding it reminds me of the little dirt bikes we used to ride (and crash) when I was a kid.

Offline Streeter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
and a Suzuki DR-650 (hot weather/gravel roads).  Most of the street riding I do is commuting from Maple Grove to downtown Mpls, excepting a few back road exploring that I do on the DR-650.  I'm looking forward to coming out of lurkdom this summer and meeting a few folks locally.

For that DR 650, are you aware of this group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TC_Dualsport/

Paul Streeter

Offline antimatter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 07:35:47 PM »
and a Suzuki DR-650 (hot weather/gravel roads).  Most of the street riding I do is commuting from Maple Grove to downtown Mpls, excepting a few back road exploring that I do on the DR-650.  I'm looking forward to coming out of lurkdom this summer and meeting a few folks locally.

For that DR 650, are you aware of this group:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TC_Dualsport/

Paul Streeter

Thank, Paul.  I'll be sure to check that out.  I do lurk on Thumpertalk and on the big ADVRider DR-650 thread.