Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First New Bike  (Read 9472 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
My First New Bike
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline Jared

• View Profile
Re: My First New Bike
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
Congrats Ray!  First new as in first new of the year or first new as in 0 miles? :)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:27:37 AM »
Congrats Ray!  First new as in first new of the year or first new as in 0 miles? :)

First as in 0 miles. I've always bought used bikes and cars before. I'm pretty cheap.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:57:30 AM »
man that looks nice. !!!
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »
Cool
Push Harder

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:05:52 AM »
Wow!  Very cool!

These are amazing bikes.  I can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Did you happen to notice that the left hand switch gear is the same as the Ducati's, but with a little different silk screening?  Kawasaki apparently saw the Ducati part, liked it, and went to the supplier "Make us a bunch just like this but with a different label."

Nice luggage, too.  Very handy.

Where did you buy it?  Decent deal?

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
I think they should have brought back the GPZ name for this bike, it's more appropriate. Very nice bike, I have a friend who is thinking of replacing his 95 GPZ 1100 with this bike.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
Replacement or addition?  (I'm guessing addition :-)   )
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
Did you happen to notice that the left hand switch gear is the same as the Ducati's, but with a little different silk screening?  Kawasaki apparently saw the Ducati part, liked it, and went to the supplier "Make us a bunch just like this but with a different label."

Nice luggage, too.  Very handy.

Where did you buy it?  Decent deal?

Didn't notice the switchgear commonality. Probably reduces Ducati's parts cost significantly.

Bought it at Moon, largely because of the deal (~20% discount). I'm guessing the bike market is going to come back this year and these are going to be tough to get later in the season.

I think they should have brought back the GPZ name for this bike, it's more appropriate. Very nice bike, I have a friend who is thinking of replacing his 95 GPZ 1100 with this bike.

GPZ name would have made more sense to me too. I think the naming was intended to get more youth sales as that is the growth segment of the market. Get young guys. They can still say they ride a Ninja 1000, but at a much more affordable price and insurance rate than a ZX10R.

Replacement or addition?  (I'm guessing addition :-)   )

This is going to displace the 900SS. I'm out of garage space and since I bought a dual sport last fall and expect that this bike is going to open up a bunch of midwest rides I've never done, like Sturgis and a ride around the Great Lakes so I think I'm out of riding time too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:12:02 AM by Ray916MN »

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:50:44 PM »
 So did you get the bags? Is this the color scheme you got?

I really like this bike, it has the makings of being an excellent sport touring bike and it is very comfortable to sit on and ride. Then of course it is a Kawasaki...lol
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:34 AM »
So did you get the bags? Is this the color scheme you got?

I really like this bike, it has the makings of being an excellent sport touring bike and it is very comfortable to sit on and ride. Then of course it is a Kawasaki...lol

I did the deal including the bags, but they aren't available yet, so all I have so far is a commitment to 15% off whatever they cost when they become available.

I got the red/black. Really reminds me of my old ZX11 and red/black has always been a favorite of mine for years.

I've been looking for a while for a new sport tourer, but I simply couldn't get myself to buy something as heavy and big as a C14, ST1300, FJR of VFR. At right around 500lbs with all fluids, this looks like the hot ticket.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:50 PM »
I saw this bike at the show and it is very nice. I liked that the windshield moved up and down. Nice color too.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
Sir I envy you, been looking at one of these since they came out but get to pay for a new car instead :(
Looks like we all know who the cool guy on the block is now :)
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:40 AM »
Just read a review in Sport Rider and they were very happy with the bike, they say its almost the perfect all around sport bike/tourer and they feel that Kawasaki has defined its own class of bike now. Although, the Triumph Sprint GT is a close second, its a little heavier than the Kawi and is missing some of the go fast parts like USD forks, radial brakes, etc.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »
Congrats!  About time you got back on a Kawasaki :D