Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:38:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First New Bike  (Read 9464 times)

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
Re: My First New Bike
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
Congrats Ray!  she's a beauty.

on a side note -- that looks like a pretty high seat height.... are you sure your feet will touch?  lol j/k!!!  ;)
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »
LOL, Denyse

Nice bike Ray
Chris
----------

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:48 PM »
..... Looks like we all know who the cool guy on the block is now :)

Fonzie's back?
Just read a review in Sport Rider and they were very happy with the bike, they say its almost the perfect all around sport bike/tourer and they feel that Kawasaki has defined its own class of bike now. Although, the Triumph Sprint GT is a close second, its a little heavier than the Kawi and is missing some of the go fast parts like USD forks, radial brakes, etc.

Sport Rider said "The bike many have been waiting for". They certainly pegged me. I wouldn't begin to consider the Sprint GT. 575lbs wet. Way too heavy.

Congrats!  About time you got back on a Kawasaki :D

Yeah, and isn't about time you got back on Honda?

Congrats Ray!  she's a beauty.

on a side note -- that looks like a pretty high seat height.... are you sure your feet will touch?  lol j/k!!!  ;)

Yeah, pretty high.... 3 inches lower than the seat on the WR. Everything is relative....

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:48 PM »
Interesting choice Ray, did you have a chance to test ride it?   And if so, it would be good to hear some first impressions.  Aside from my R6 race bikes, I have never ventured outside the BMW Motorrad family as they define the sport tourer (or touring sport bike).  I will sell my S1000RR either this year or next (way too much bike for my skill level), and get back into sport touring.  My previous (two) K1200S were sublime, but they came at a premium.  Yes, I am brand-loyal, but there are reasons for that.  Not looking for a sport-tourer shoot-out, just your rationale for picking this bike (take your cheap-ass out of the equation).  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:47:19 PM by Tim... »

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:39 AM »
  Looks a lot like my Fut-good one for Kawi to copy. Just wonder if they have the ergos down and the heat ducting-the Ape is definitely a cool ride. Guzzi John :banana:
john pierson

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
Congratulation Ray. MCN thinks it's the perfect bike. 10 years ago I bought my first new bike, maybe this year I will get my second ever new bike. This warm weather (and the motorcycle show) is making me dream.
 :-*

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:32 AM »
Interesting choice Ray, did you have a chance to test ride it?   And if so, it would be good to hear some first impressions.  Aside from my R6 race bikes, I have never ventured outside the BMW Motorrad family as they define the sport tourer (or touring sport bike).  I will sell my S1000RR either this year or next (way too much bike for my skill level), and get back into sport touring.  My previous (two) K1200S were sublime, but they came at a premium.  Yes, I am brand-loyal, but there are reasons for that.  Not looking for a sport-tourer shoot-out, just your rationale for picking this bike (take your cheap-ass out of the equation). 

I haven't ridden one yet.

I bought it because:

- Relatively light weight (~500lb full wet)
- Factory hard bag option
- Seating position fits me.
- Reviews have been good
- I spoke with an original MN-Sportbike member who is now the Kawasaki district manager for our district who has ridden the bike and he was so favorably impressed by the bike, he is getting one for his use.
- I would have waited till I could ride one, but I believe these are going to be very popular bikes and the discount I got (~20%) was too good a deal to pass up. - Yeah I'm cheap.

Looks a lot like my Fut-good one for Kawi to copy. Just wonder if they have the ergos down and the heat ducting-the Ape is definitely a cool ride. Guzzi John :banana:

I looked at Futura's last season, but they are huge by comparison. Too big for me at least. The Kaw is a better fit for me.

Congratulation Ray. MCN thinks it's the perfect bike. 10 years ago I bought my first new bike, maybe this year I will get my second ever new bike. This warm weather (and the motorcycle show) is making me dream.
 :-*

I'm really hoping the magazine reviews weren't just ad revenue generating positive drivel. Either way, I'm committed to finding out.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
The bike should prove to be very popular if the buying public has a clue.  It is a great mix of characteristics.

Excellent buy, Ray.  It will be fun to learn what you think.  My bet is that you are going to love it.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
You are going to like that bike.

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
didn't have that option when i got my c14, otherwise it would have been a strong contender. my c14 feels huge some days, and a stretch to the ground most days for me.
oops, forgot about the wife again, needed a c14 for the both of us to ride, but so far its only been me.

the feel was much like the 650, with bar height, angle, things like that. After my seat was sent to Spencer my 650 was a comfy ride. (first bike so limited experience)

the cases will be very nice, they look like the givi plx cases.
I am surprised more people don't have tail bags or something, i always am putting something in there.

16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
  Sounds good for many people. I'm 6'3" so my Fut is fine for me but it's good to see the factories are building functional bikes around the size of the 600 sporties. GJ ;)
john pierson

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
Very nice bike :) 

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »
I'm late seeing this....  did you already post up a review on the bike yet Ray?  How do you like its handling?  Looks like a great bike, a shaft drive would be nice but that would have added weight.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03:51 AM »
I'm late seeing this....  did you already post up a review on the bike yet Ray?  How do you like its handling?

I am also curious to hear your thoughts on this bike. Seems like kind of a modern interpretation of a GPz 900, with fuel injection and modern suspension/looks.
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:53 AM »
It is a nice bike and characterizing it as a modern Ninja 900 (GPZ900) is accurate. I owned two of these years ago.

It is a very good real world performer.

Easy to go fast on. Up to a certain point it is easier to go fast on for me than my CBR. Handling is light, with a good balance of agility and stability. Much better at dealing with road imperfections than a full on sportbike, but not quite as sharp when pressed toward the limits. Cornering clearance could be a bit better as it is pretty easy to drag the pegs with plenty of handling performance seemingly left. Powerband is very accessible and makes it easy to just leave it in 6th and ride whatever. This is good as the transmission is a bit clunky, requiring higher than average pressure to shift and having more abrupt gear engagement. Initially I thought the bike vibrated annoyingly, but as it has broken in and with a switch to a good  motorcycle specific synthetic oil, engine vibration has dropped noticeably. I get the sense that the rear shock will not last very long. When I strapped a tail bag to the bike, the additional weight had a noticeable effect on handling. The mufflers are a problem for me beyond looks. They crowd the pegs a bit so when I have the balls of my feet on the pegs, I sometimes hit my heels on them and they hang low enough and close enough to the swingarm to make permanently fitting swingarm spools pretty much impossible. I've ordered a set of Akrapovic slip ons which should solve the muffler problems. They supposedly are as quiet as the stock cans, are appreciably lighter, significantly increase horsepower and also work with the factory hard bags which I also have on order. The handlebar sweep and drop isn't the greatest for me and the seat could be improved a bit. Again the aftermarket will probably have solutions. I've discovered all the flutes, strakes and sharp edges of the bodywork make this a difficult bike to wash and wax. It easily takes me twice as long to wash and was the bike as any other bike I own and it is very easy to miss dirt.

Net, net, it is a great bike with a few niggling issues  which does a particularly good job of covering a wide range of range of use. From sportbike to tour it offers very good performance with very little compromise.