Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:14:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginning Rider Advice  (Read 4291 times)

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
Beginning Rider Advice
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Hey guys,
So my friend jus bought a 2001 zx-6 about two weeks ago and now that we finally got his carbs cleaned and reassembled he's ready to ride. I've told him a bit of what I know and we spent the day today just showing him a few things around his neighborhood.

I told him to work on fluent clutch control (starting smoothly) and riding slow to practice balance and bike control but I was wondering what else he should practice for the time being?

He's got his MSF classes in late april but insisted on getting out after seeing me whip around with the new clean carbs :P , so I figured I'd ask you intelligent gentlemen  what you thought

JVS
"you thought you had it bad, try staring at his butt crack the last 50 miles"

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
Re: Beginning Rider Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
self-control, situational awareness, insurance, will.

the physical riding stuff isn't that hard to get figured out, becoming a great rider with as many low-drama miles as he wants is mostly mental.  we have really, really got to pay attention.  it's not enough to know what's going on 1 car ahead, we need to know that, along with the 10 cars ahead of that one, and those in the lanes on either side, and those behind.  *.*'s gonna happen, it's a lot better to "know" (feel?) it with time (SPACE!) to react safely.

it took me a long time learn to not weave through traffic impatiently (10-15mph over) tailgating cars, but I know I'm a much safer rider now that I set a [slightly] more moderate (< 10mph over) pace and leave a lot more room to maneuver.  if there's not enough room for you to be "cut off", there is simply not enough room...  just let them in and fall back so you have your space again.

good luck, have fun!

a.s.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
Andy makes some good points about mental skills.  Lack of mental skills is why some riders have more "they're trying to kill me!" moments and "the other guy's fault" or "there wasn't anything I could do about it" crashes.

But physical skills are just as important, especially to new riders, who can usually avoid most of the need for mental skills by staying away from high-traffic areas until the physical skills don't demand so much attention.  I've developed a lot of bad habits from being mostly self-taught and not seeking out training for years.  Two of my worst habits are visual control and hand/arm tension.

It's pretty common to look down at the instruments more often than necessary or beneficial, especially when slowing or stopping.  I don't know why it happens, but I do it myself, and I see others doing it.  It seems to be a natural reflex for some of us, and it doesn't help.  Looking where we want to go, rather than directly in front of us, helps us moderate our inputs to the bars.  It also lessens the sensation of speed, which can be helpful in curves.

For most of us, feeling a little out of control at time isn't unusual.  And our natural reaction is to tense up, especially in our hands and arms.  I can't think of many things that make riding a motorcycle more difficult than a tight grip on the bars, or stiff arms.  Lee Parks uses a classroom exercise to demonstrate this.  He asks you to tighten up all the muscles in your arms and hands and then try writing your name.  This tension while we're riding makes it hard for us to be smooth, and sometimes we react by tensing up even more.

So I'd recommend avoiding these two habits by looking where you want to go and keeping a light grip on the bars.

Brent

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
Tell him...
Resist the urge to ride in traffic (just now).   Make your first rides out to the roads with almost no traffic.    Practice in parking lots.   Make the commitment to yourself to be a safe rider.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Stinger

• Yea Hey Der
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
And have him look into this right away. He will learn some skills and tips at MSF and this will give him a full day to try it all out.

http://www.hedonistic-enthusiasm.com/
Roger
I still dislike forums.
Red PC800, White DRZ400S, Black FTR1200S, Red Multistrada 1200S

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
I agree all of that ^, especially with practicing in zero traffic situations (parking lots with no spectators and a few cheap cones / lines) and absolutely with "looking up", even / especially when going slow.  Things happen so much "slower" when you keep your eyes up and many "dumb" mistakes can be ridden out if you don't panic and keep looking where you want to go.

One neat trick when really moving slowly (i.e. MSF or riding test) is to drag the rear brake while sliding the clutch.  He'll get a sense for what that does to the composure of the bike, and once he finds the right amount of brake / clutch / gas to ride it really helps with low speed confidence, way better than either coasting with clutch in or banging around at super-low RPMs with the clutch out.

Oh, and don't grab the front brake in slow speed turns, that's a good way to end up dropping the bike.

Andy

p.s. did he get the ZX-6, or ZX-6R?  lots of love on here for the 6R of that era, one of the best all-around sport bikes.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:50:08 PM »
Oh okay thanks guys, yeah I brought up the "invisible rider" factor and how you always want to pretend no one can ever see you; ride so. Along with that I mentioned when your out in traffic look into the other car's mirrors and try to make sure people see you. Thanks for the link roger, looks like that would be real helpful training beyond just going the the MSF courses.
Uh to answer your question Andy, he got a zx-6J, I'm sure he can tell you more of the differences between em but all I know is that it's the J model..So whatever that means :)

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 01:44:34 AM »
"j" model is the 6R. definately the better of them.

What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »
At this time of the year I'd recommend reading a book like. Ride Hard, Ride Smart by Pat Hahn.

Riding is challenging right now, and I'm not sure beginning riders and challenging riding conditions is a prudent mix.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Right right, I told him about checking out twist of the wrist and even just watching youtube videos can help to a certain extent.
But to add to what you said lloyd, yes it's a pretty fun little bike to rip around on, seems like a real good learning bike just need to go through and do all fluid changes and maitenence because its a "craigslist bike" and you never know what your gonna get.
Once We do get out of the parking lot/neighborhood stage, I was thinking about just cruising down east river road a bit..any other good begginer roads around the twin cities you guys know of?

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
My fovorite beginer motorcycle and car road is the short road to lock and dam 2 in Hastings  http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rfs17x77vr76&lvl=15&dir=0&sty=b&where1=Hastings%2C%20MN&q=hastings%20mn&FORM=LMLTCC it has lots of curves to practice on and very few cars

PS - Bing has it wrong, it is the squigly line to the left of where they placed it.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 09:57:18 PM »
 A few bits from an old fart(65w 50+yrs riding). I'm appalled by the folks who consider 600s or hoglies as proper learning bikes. Unfortunately our market has squeezed out the great lightweights of days gone by. An RD250 or somesuch were great teachers about all aspects of pavement riding w/o the intimidating power and weight of bigger machines. They also were a much easier step from dirt riding which I believe almost essential for survival-that is riding a bike that is sliding. Off road-dirt or parking lot are very important for learning just the riding and machine operation. You must have those things down so they are automatic before you throw traffic into the mix. I've always felt that everything out there has the ability to get me if i let it. So whether it's a cell-phoner,wild turkey, or a garbage truck materializing in front of you be ready and dressed for the occasion. Good luck,Guzzi John-WBMC,CRA,UMN Retiree :banana:
john pierson

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:33:35 AM »
Afton has lots of interesting roads, most of which are generally quiet (Trading Post is a good example).  Even Stagecoach isn't busy except on pretty weekends.

If you decide to come out here I will happily put together a route sheet of quieter, twisty roads to practice on. An easy to understand loop would be perfect.

John, I think you are right that most now start on bikes that are too big.  I am really happy to see the new Honda 250R.  I hope more 250s show up - plenty of them available in other parts of the world.  I started on a Yamaha 400 Seca - great bike with more than enough power for a beginner.

Offline Jvs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 01:30:10 AM »

My fovorite beginer motorcycle and car road is the short road to lock and dam 2 in Hastings  http://www.bing.com/maps/?
PS - Bing has it wrong, it is the squigly line to the left of where they placed it.
[/quote]
If you decide to come out here I will happily put together a route sheet of quieter, twisty roads to practice on. An easy to understand loop would be perfect.

Yeah man I think i've been down that road a few times, I would be a little iffy getting out this early in the season with him just because i'm sure theres loads and loads of gravel on those twisties but maybe in may or june when the real riding begins :)
Thanks elk I know a few roads around here that are fun, but as the year goes on I was hoping to get out riding with you guys more, you all seem to know where the hidden treasures exsist
Time for some real fun, I mean these exit ramps are only fun for so long ;)

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
I would be a little iffy getting out this early in the season with him just because i'm sure theres loads and loads of gravel on those twisties

I agree; this really isn't the time for a beginner to be out.

I saw lots of bikes out yesterday however, everything from BMW touring bikes to sport bikes.

Only in northern states do we also get convertibles with the top down in 45 degree weather.