Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keyless gas caps  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Keyless gas caps
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
Perhaps I'm looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but ... has anyone tried one of these after-market key less gas caps? Years ago I was not thinking and put my tank bag on my tank with the key left in the gas cap slot. The key bent significantly, but I was able to remove it without breaking the key. (This is now why I always have a 2nd key with me, ha).

Seams like a neat idea, though I don't know that I've ever seen anyone use these. Anyone?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/93/10330/22703/PITEM/Pro-Tek-Keyless-Gas-Cap-2007-Honda-CBR1000RR-Parts.aspx

... and I'm not sure it's a "problem" worth a $100 fix, lol.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
Re: Keyless gas caps
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
I dislike keyed gas caps.  I had a keyless cap on my Ducati 999 and loved it (and it was pretty).  My current bike has the stock cap.  It works fine and is technically an impressive piece but I am tempted to get a keyless - if they were not so silly expensive.

Why are M/C caps typically keyed anyway?  Is there a big problem with malicious people tossing stuff in or is it a way to make sure we close the cap?

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
I started seeing them around this tiime.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_energy_crisis   People were stealing gas.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »
Now that you mention it, I remember locking caps for cars being heavily advertised at the time.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »
Caps are keyed to prevent theft and tampering. It would suck to find out someone decided to dump sugar in your tank.

The keyless caps that are out there are intended for track bike use. If you're bike has no ignition lock, it doesn't make sense to still have a key for a gas cap. Locks not only add unnecessary weight, they add complexity. I remember being at a track day where a guy ruined his day because he  forgot the key to his gas cap. Dohhh....

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:44:23 PM »
I started seeing them around this tiime.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_energy_crisis   People were stealing gas.

Caps are keyed to prevent theft and tampering. It would suck to find out someone decided to dump sugar in your tank.

The keyless caps that are out there are intended for track bike use. If you're bike has no ignition lock, it doesn't make sense to still have a key for a gas cap. Locks not only add unnecessary weight, they add complexity. I remember being at a track day where a guy ruined his day because he  forgot the key to his gas cap. Dohhh....

Both of these are valid points.

I remember the gas crisis of the late 70's as well. I worked at Normandale Mobil (84th & Normandale Blvd.) pumping gas during that time period. One Saturday the owner had me take a "last car" sign and tape it to the trunk of the last car in the long line of cars as we had to ration our sales until our next delivery arrived. As I was taping the sign to the last car, a car pulled up behind him and the driver offered me $5 to put the sign on the back of his car, ha.

As I *never* leave my bike out in the open overnight, I feel the threat of gas theft isn't too high a risk as they'd only get 3-4 gallons anyway. Having someone maliciously put something in the tank is a probability though. :(

Anyway, like I said, I'll probably not make the purchase as the convenience of it isn't worth $100 to me. If it was $50, maybe ...

These do look cool though :)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/5/93/29191/DPITEM/Street-Bike-Gas-Caps-PSR-Quick-Release-Gas-Cap.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Daydreaming of bikes on a snowy Thursday,
Greg

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline burn-z

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:58 AM »
I'd put one on my Duc if they weren't stupid expensive as well.

Offline zaskar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
One other small thing that might be a headache is the fact that it's not attached to the tank.  Now when you go to fill you have to set it some place while you pump gas.  Not a big deal, but it could fall, get dirty, and ruin those small threads.

I had one on my race bike and it always worked well, sometimes it seemed like it tightened up on it's own.  I had always tried to be careful not to over torque it on there but didn't want it coming loose either.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
Get one of these, then you don't have to worry about it tightening up too far.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bs1922/5072579817/in/photostream
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:50:12 AM »
Not long ago every thing we put gas in we had to put the gas cap on top of the gas pump. No big deal and still isn't.