Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:39:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil Seal Tactics  (Read 3213 times)

Offline T.W. Day

• View Profile
    • Geezer with a Grudge
Oil Seal Tactics
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:38 PM »
Last spring, I spent a bunch of hours getting my Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa ready for a backroads trip across North Dakota. About 3 days before I left, the damn thing spit out it's countershaft oil seal and all of the engine oil. Fortunately, I hadn't left the driveway when it happened. Unfortunately, I didn't get back to working on the bitch until late August. I replaced the seal and an o-ring on the countershaft, put it back together and . . . it now drools like a BSA or some damn 1970's Brit POS. So, as soon as it's warmed up in the garage, I'm going to try again.

Nothing about this seal makes me feel warm and comfy about taking the Sherpa anywhere remote. It's just pressed in, no retention system at all. Any suggestions on installing one of these things so that it won't leak or jump out again?

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Seal Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:48:04 PM »
You probably already checked, but the shaft should be checked for movement or burrs.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline T.W. Day

• View Profile
    • Geezer with a Grudge
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
I looked for burrs or contaminants on the outer surface, last time I replaced the seal. I'll look more carefully at the shaft itself, the next time. There's not realy side movement on the shaft, but it moves in and out a few fractions of an inch. Thanks.

Offline T.W. Day

• View Profile
    • Geezer with a Grudge
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »
Thanks, Lloyd.

I am all but positive it's an outer seal leak. I'll verify that when I get to work on it, before yanking the new-old seal out. I'll try the threebond next time. Apparently, the 2000 Kawi Super Sherpa has a problem with this seal that other editions of the bike haven't exhibited. I'm lucky mine decided to spit out the seal in the driveway, not in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota. I've been told that synthetic oil often is all it takes to make the seal pop. Supposedly, it's a seal problem, not a case design issue, since Kawi changed seal vendors for later versions.