Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:16:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage  (Read 13022 times)

Vander

Re: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
Huh...

The guy that did the filming has some interesting comments:
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3554243#post3554243

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 10:34:24 AM »
I'm surprised by "Slow moving vehicles are allowed to be passed on a double yellow."

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »
yeah I doubt that is true.( slow moving vehicles allowed to be passed over dbl yellow) And I am sure we aren't getting the whole story anyhow.
The filming rider claims it was hot and they didn't feel like waiting for the cops to show after they called them?
He claims no arrests or tickets?
He says they aren't at all interested in the double yellow pass but want this truckdriver off the road permanently before he kills someone (hey if that were the case they'd have in custody already and there would be a court date set up....don't you think-it isn't like they couldn't have found him-liscense plate and all)
Oh the truck wasn't the drivers....but some sportbike ran his mom off the road, thus the exceeding anger towards sportbikes (I'd be pissed too, but pretty unreasonable to take that anger out on every sportbike.imo)

When you read some of those other forums, very lenghty "debates" over right and wrong etc-it is abundantly clear that many many members of society have a very poor image of motorcyclists, especially "crotch rockets" and most of these people were motorcyclists themselves.....something to think about
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »
if I had been the guy on the bike doing the video I would have been worried about that four wheeler coming off, the way the truck was driving...

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
When you read some of those other forums, very lenghty "debates" over right and wrong etc-it is abundantly clear that many many members of society have a very poor image of motorcyclists, especially "crotch rockets" and most of these people were motorcyclists themselves....

Excellent point. 

Sobering, too.

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
I'm not surprised by the video. Being a motorcyclist and a person who lives by the roads where people from out of town like to go fast, I can see both sides.
On my cycle I try to pass reasonably. Acting like Joe Rocket and almost dragging a knee and flying by vehicles in a double yellow can be irritating. It doesn't warrant a death sentence, but it might get annoying day after day. People in the country assume a general sense of peace and quiet, and cycles flying by their driveway at speed is probably upsetting.
I ride my bicycle on many of the same roads people like to ride their motorcycles fast on. I've been buzzed, had throttles blipped as they pass, etc. I've seen milk trucks and crotch rockets completely in my lane coming around a blind corner. I often think about my line on a bike and hope someone isn't coming the other way taking a corner too hot.
The bottom line I guess is that the street ain't a track. The motorcycles in the video sure weren't obeying the speed limit, and passing a slow moving vehicle on a double yellow might be okay. But you have to be wary of others around you, especially country boys in pick-ups.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I ride my bicycle on many of the same roads people like to ride their motorcycles fast on. I've been buzzed, had throttles blipped as they pass, etc. I've seen milk trucks and crotch rockets completely in my lane coming around a blind corner.

When riding in rural areas I wave at serious looking bicyclists after I pass (well over in the lane or in the oncoming lane if there is visibility). As a bicyclist. does this make any sense?  I have always wondered if they think I am nuts. (I wave at farmers on farm equipment, all other bikes, many cars that I pass - I am trying to by us some good will).

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
I've never understood why some motorcyclists seem to have the need to pass someone close? Many times on a ride with other people I'll watch people pass a car and they pass really close to the car and blast by them when they don't need to. If you're in a car and have never driven a motorcycle, I can see where it would tick you off and quite frankly, there shouldn't be a need for it. Can't think of any situation where you need to pass another vehicle, even another motorcycle, that way. If you're doing it because you don't have much room to pass because another vehicle is coming, maybe you should hold off passing until the road is more clear.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
I've had guys in Wisconsin try to block my pass. Once on my bike and another time in my Vette. I've got the finger probably 5-6 times and seen others in my
group get the finger a few times. This sounds like a lot but remeber, I have been riding for decades.

Offline HSL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »
No comment on the video, but I have to say that I am amazed how many nice drivers you meet on the road.  Whether it's the farmer on his tractor giving you a friendly wave, or people pulling over to let you pass (which happened to me the very first time in Minnesota recently, but seems to be standard etiquette in places like Arkansas).  And yesterday up north an oncoming pick-up moved almost into the shrubs on his side on the (wide enough) gravel road to protect me a little from his dust cloud.  Amazingly considerate guy.

Honestly, if I was trying to earn a meager living from tilling my fields, and had those unproductive city dwellers on their noisy bikes going by all day, I'm not sure how friendly I'd be.

I guess bottom line is it takes a little judgement how much liberties you can take in any given situation.  Live and let live seems a good rule of thumb on the road...
2011 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 ABS

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
"BROOKSVILLE -- A Pendleton County man has turned himself in to authorities following issuance of an arrest warrant for a May incident on Kentucky 22 in Bracken County.

On June 9, Gary L. Hudson Jr., 22, notified Bracken County Sheriff Howard Niemeier he would be turning himself in when he returned to the state; he did so at about 4 p.m., June 10, police said.

According to Niemeier, Hudson lives in Falmouth, but traveled from Fort Bragg, N.C., to surrender.

According to officials, Hudson is considered "past military" having completed his reservist obligations in April; he was moving from Fort Bragg, police said.
On May 22, Hudson was allegedly involved in an incident involving two motorcycles which were traveling on Kentucky 22 at the same time as Hudson was driving a truck.

Hudson was videotaped swerving across the center line at one cyclist as he attempted to pass the truck Hudson was driving. The action appeared to be deliberate to the motorcyclists who followed the truck to an intersection where a confrontation included calls to police to report the incident.

Hudson has been charged with two counts of wanton endangerment and was taken to Mason County Detention Center.

He was released from MCDC Friday.

Niemeier said he anticipated Hudson being in Bracken County District Court today.

According to Niemeier, officials are looking into whether to file any traffic citations against the motorcyclist, who is seen in the same video, crossing the center solid yellow line before and after the incident.

Posted in Local on Monday, June 13, 2011 10:00 pm Updated: 5 pm. | Tags: Gary L. Hudson Jr., Howard Niemeier, Fort Bragg, Kentucky Route 22, Motorcycle, Law_crime, Road Rage "

In my opinion, if you charge the truck driver you have to charge the motorcyclists as well, otherwise it is selective enforcement of the law in my eyes.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:17:24 PM by Lloyd »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »

In my opinion, if you charge the truck driver you have to charge the motorcyclists as well, otherwise it is selective enforcement of the law in my eyes.

I agree. Both should be charged with whatever laws they violated.

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
+1

Fair is fair. 

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »
The truck driver has been sentenced.

BROOKSVILLE | The truck driver caught on camera swerving at a passing motorcycle on May 22, on a rural Bracken County road, was sentenced to prison on Thursday.
Gary L. Hudson, 23, of Pendleton County, entered a guilty plea on Nov. 18, in Bracken Circuit Court to an offer from the Commonwealth's Attorney Office.
He was sentenced Thursday to two years in jail on each of two wanton endangerment counts, 90 days in jail for menacing and a $100 fine for reckless driving. The sentences run concurrent for a total of two years, court officials said.
In the incident, caught on a camera mounted on one of two motorcycles, Hudson is seen driving a truck which enters Kentucky 22 ahead of the motorcyclists and drives in the same direction. As the lead cycle attempts to pass Hudson on the left, Hudson appeared to purposefully steer into the lane and nearly forced the motorcycle off the road. The motorcycle with the camera continued to follow until all three vehicles stopped at an intersection and a verbal altercation with threats ensued.
Hudson is in Mason County Detention Center awaiting transfer to a state prison facility.

Read more: http://www.maysville-online.com/news/local/article_051d0ae6-32be-55a3-8c37-f0aee97a0bae.html#ixzz1gx4AFf9m

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 11:38:06 PM »
All right.