Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:32:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage  (Read 13019 times)

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
Vince, remember the guy in the UP last fall? Same kinda crap.
Push Harder

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
The article should have also did follow up on the motorcyclists..........I think the whole deal is blown out of proportion and just a bunch of hype and propaganda mostly by idiot motorcyclists who want to inflame the issue and cry out trying to justify their actions of riding like idiots...it is all over the web.

Again at a minimum the lead bike should have been charged with passing on a dbl yellow and speed....Charge one--charge all
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »

Again at a minimum the lead bike should have been charged with passing on a dbl yellow and speed....Charge one--charge all

Agreed. But there is still a large discrepancy between passing on a double yellow (petty misdemeanor) and "wanton endangerment" and "menacing" (felonious). The former is a crime against the state , the latter is a crime against person
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 08:55:40 AM »
I hope motorcyclists everywhere take a lesson away from this.  Pick and choose your passing wisely and with care.  Joe Public just doesn't understand our selfish need for a clear road in front of us.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
The article should have also did follow up on the motorcyclists..........I think the whole deal is blown out of proportion and just a bunch of hype and propaganda mostly by idiot motorcyclists who want to inflame the issue and cry out trying to justify their actions of riding like idiots...it is all over the web.

The rider in the following bike has posted a couple of times over at WERA about the situation.  He didn't mention any consequences for him and the other rider but seemed like a pretty level headed dude.  I know at first the cops weren't worried about his speed or violations given the driver's behavior, but that may have changed since the story got some legs.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »
Also worth mentioning, some jurisdictions don't view a double line cross as an egregious violation of the law.  In some places, you're within the unwritten Mayberry rules, provided you are passing something much slower and within care.  I was stuck behind an overloaded pickup in Missouri and the cop behind me made an impatient gesture for me to get around the guy during a solid double yellow.  Talk about waiting for the other shoe to drop, I was sure it was a gotcha situation but he was just as sick of being behind this guy as I.  For all we know, the officer on record could have been a rider and felt it was more dangerous to ride behind a local with ATV's casually strapped on back.

Now Wisconsin, I can affirm you will get a ticket.  Even if you went around a cement truck that came to a dead stop in the middle of the road.  I would have fought it, but knew I wasn't going to win that one in Buffalo cty.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »
Yes I remember and so does D. We went back to talk to that guy and he was an ass hat for sure. I have had this happen a few times. And that guy was going slow just to piss us off.

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »
"In some places, you're within the unwritten Mayberry rules, provided you are passing something much slower and within care. "

The truck shown in that video clearly isn't a "slow moving vehicle" worthy of someone claiming some mayberry rule...

If they are unwritten, how does one know they apply?   devils advocate
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »
You don't know, nor should you assume anything.  I was only bringing up a possible reason why the focus was strictly on the pickup driver's behavior by the Po and not on the riders violation.  He/she might have simply blown that off as "I would have done the same thing." 

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
"there is still a large discrepancy between passing on a double yellow (petty misdemeanor) and "wanton endangerment" and "menacing" (felonious). The former is a crime against the state , the latter is a crime against person. "

I don't believe for a minute that the guy actually intended to put the motorcyclists in the ditch or the tree. So I also don't believe it was "wanton endangerment" and "menacing" atleast not of a felony type.....---what he did was foolish and stupid, dare I say idiotic, but it is no worse than what the bikers did.....(they all drove across the double yellow multiple times, they all appeared to be speeding and the video biker was atleast as menacing as the truck driver when he - still wearing all his protective gear- approached the driver of the truck while he was still in the truck)
 Guy got the wrong jury members.......I would not have convicted on those charges.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:43:47 PM by obdurate »

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »
"there is still a large discrepancy between passing on a double yellow (petty misdemeanor) and "wanton endangerment" and "menacing" (felonious). The former is a crime against the state , the latter is a crime against person. "

I don't believe for a minute that the guy actually intended to put the motorcyclists in the ditch or the tree. So I also don't believe it was "wanton endangerment" and "menacing" atleast not of a felony type.....---what he did was foolish and stupid, dare I say idiotic, but it is no worse than what the bikers did.....(they all drove across the double yellow multiple times, they all appeared to be speeding and the video biker was atleast as menacing as the truck driver when he - still wearing all his protective gear- approached the driver of the truck while he was still in the truck)
 Guy got the wrong jury members.......I would not have convicted on those charges.

Well, like you admit. The prosecuting attorneys don't have to convince Lloyd, they have to convince the judge (or jury).

....the "menacing" charge was undoubtedly for stepping out of the truck holding a gun. Seams like the correct charge to me.
And if you think the bikers where at least as idiotic as the truck driver, then I wonder how you can stomach riding with us as those infractions are pretty tame compared to some things a lot of us are guilt of.

but I'll let you have the last word, as is your want.  Oh, wait ...... :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:14:31 PM by Greg »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 07:58:28 PM »

I would convict.  It's my opinion the truck driver was trying to make the rider crash, without leaving his own mark on the scene.  The way he was driving suggested to me that he was willing to put his own life at risk in order to achieve his goal

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »

....the "menacing" charge was undoubtedly for stepping out of the truck holding a gun. Seams like the correct charge to me.

GUN, really.....I must have missed that being in any of the new articles or reporting......seems to me after being yelled at and confronted by a helmet wearing motorcyclist in his face before he even got out of the truck....a motorcyclist who had "backup" , so the guy was out numbered.....Well he got out of the truck with a tire iron ready to defend himself if need be....I don't see him going after the biker or threatening to use the tire iron at all......It actually appears he is making a call of his own while they are busy yelling at each other and tempers were all raised...But of course everyone views things differently

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »

GUN, really.....I must have missed that being in any of the new articles or reporting......seems to me after being yelled at and confronted by a helmet wearing motorcyclist in his face before he even got out of the truck....a motorcyclist who had "backup" , so the guy was out numbered.....Well he got out of the truck with a tire iron ready to defend himself if need be....I don't see him going after the biker or threatening to use the tire iron at all......It actually appears he is making a call of his own while they are busy yelling at each other and tempers were all raised...But of course everyone views things differently

my mistake. I thought what he had in his right hand when he got out of the truck was a gun. it does appear now to not be a gun.

I'm done in this thread. argue to your heart's content, Lloyd

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:09:05 PM by Greg »

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
I think the whole deal is blown out of proportion and just a bunch of hype and propaganda mostly by idiot motorcyclists who want to inflame the issue and cry out trying to justify their actions of riding like idiots...it is all over the web.

One thing Lloyd, the driver plead guilty in a plea deal for that two year sentence.  For an incident supposedly "blown out of proportion", seems he wasn't going to roll that dice at a judge or jury trial. 

I tried to find some rationality in your argument.  I only saw one double yellow crossing by one of the bikes, while Kentucky Gary proceeded to not only try risky cornering with a loaded pickup, he actually crossed both sets of wheels completely into the oncoming lane on a curve.  If a small econo-box happened to come along from the other direction, it would have been game-over for that family. 

Your argument has merit in one aspect though.  Notice the first thing out of Kentucky Gary's mouth was about a prior incident with a "crotch rocket".  I've said it before.....a rider's actions may ricochet right onto the next rider to come along.  Everyone has to keep this in mind when they perform an illegal or dangerous maneuver thinking they will never have contact with the cage driver.  Rage has no boundaries with some people.