Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage  (Read 13018 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:16:16 AM »
Comments?

Personally, right, wrong or indifferent I think about this scenario every time I pass on double yellows or at elevated speeds....

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Passing - Chase - Road Rage
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
I do also, there are lots of people like this "out there".   I met that guy (or his red-neck cousin) in Arkansas a few years ago and I did nothing to him, but just happened to be on a motorcycle.  It's hard to argue with a car or truck while on a bike...

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:34:22 AM »
It would be cool to find out if this guy went to jail or not. Was in Ar last fall and one of our boys buzzed a car pretty good. The guy followed us into a parking lot and chewed our asses out, my guess we had it comin. But he didn't try to kill us at least, only the buzzer had somethin to say to the guy the rest of us kept our mouths shut. Just like this guy in the video prolly wasn't this motorcycle that pissed him off, so what can we do when we are ridin these things in someone elses back yard? Myself, unless it turns into a do or die pass (which will happen from time to time on twisties) I will always go by slow enough so the person I'm passin can see a friendly wave I'm givin them. I just feel if you acknowledge people, they will be far less apt to get pissed off cause YOUR havin fun.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:36:38 AM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
I don't have time to review the video as I'm at work, but a group of us had a negative experience similar to this in Arkansas last year as well. It is discussed here:
http://mn-msta.com/index.php/topic,380.0.html

My quote:
"A little follow-up story on this day of the trip. We rode State Hwy E north from HWY 60 near Winona, Mo to HWY 106. We then jogged over to HWY 19 and had a wonderful time, thanks for that tip! While we were headed north on State Hwy E (about the width of a nicer “lettered” road in Wisconsin, comparable to CTY P for example) we came upon a large gravel dump truck moving along at a decent clip, (50-55mph?). I happened to be in the front and passed him first. I thought he seemed to edge a little into my space as I passed him, but dismissed it as just chance.

As Tony and Jared passed him he edged farther and farther into their space as each one passed, clearly trying to spook (or worse?) them as I guess he didn’t like us passing. I’m not prone to violence and haven’t been in a fight since the age of 12, but that angered me to no end.
Given that we were in meth country (Southern Missouri is one of the worst in the country) and I had no idea if he was armed, I’m glad sensible thoughts overrode the anger I was feeling. For a moment I really wanted to …….    >:(

Anyway, be careful on State Hwy E  

Greg"

*EDIT*  WHOA, nasty scenario. At about the 2 minute mark he passes that church. I would have tried to stop there. Having witnesses would have hopefully prevented the truck driver doing anything felonious. Scary stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:07:32 AM by stevens_ave929 »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
I will always go by slow enough so the person I'm passin can see a friendly wave I'm givin them. I just feel if you acknowledge people, they will be far less apt to get pissed off cause YOUR havin fun.

Agreed. Slowing (somewhat) and giving a wave goes a long way, I try to do this. Also something to consider ..... almost every car we pass now has a cell phone in it. Drivers will call the popo if upset enough.
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline dontwantapickle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
Begs to ask the question of how many riders "carry" while riding.  What if the mouth breather would have pulled a weapon rather than what looks like a tire iron..
Steve
2008 C14

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
All I can say is if a red neck is pullin a gun on you and you start wavin a gun, he will shoot you long before you even start thinkin to pull the trigger. Just think that if someone already has a gun on ya don't give him a reason to kill you.
Push Harder

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:31 PM »
 You have to watch out for stupid !
 You have to watch out for "pissed off" !
 You have to watch out for just about everything !

This scenario is one time where a "group ride" is definately on your side, you have numbers and you have witnesses

^ If someone is "pullin a gun" on me-I wouldn't even consider "wavin a gun" as some sort of threat back-I think if you are going to "fight back" you had damn sure better just start shooting until you have no ammunition left or they are no longer any threat-if you decide to face threat with threat.
Typically best to avoid that sort of confrontation as it won't end well for anyone involved.... IMO, if someone pulls a weapon, you should expect they are willing and able to use it and react accordingly.

As far as that video-I think the title is just some extremists point of view crying wolf, the guy was likely trying to "block" the bike from going by. I highly doubt he was intending bodily harm or death or to cause a crash, he likely was tired of idiots passing him at high speed, likely cutting him off a time or two and mis-judged the closing speed or passing rate- how he drove after the bike was by, well that was even more stupid and wreckless than the opriginally weave over into the left lane. ( he even made some mention of being tired of them sportbikes running him into the ditch or something to that affect.......) glad to see in the end it appears cooler heads prevailed from this escalating further.
Today I had Gramdpa Fred pull right out in front of me at one of Apple Valleys million stoplights-I had to panic stop ( I was only going about 25, but was already into the 4 lane intersection) . 200' later I pulled up to the next stoplight about 2 car lengths behind him in the next lane-he rolls down his window and shouts back to me "sorry, I didn't see you" I decided to pull up next to him and have a "polite" exchange of words. I think he genuinely was sorry and didn't see me until he was already in my lane, doesn't excuse what he did, but sometimes they just don't know.

A few days ago there were 4 cruisers all with their obnoxiously loud exhuast and whacking the throttle continually at the stop light (no doubt to keep their junk running) anyways I was right behind them in the car, and 4 pick up trucks were in the right hand lane-well first truck accelerated fast enough to keep the bikes next to him-second truck was only a couple car lengths behind, other two maybe another 100' plus and nose to tail-these dumb bikers go 3 wide trying to "race" the front truck to the next light (maybe 250 yards ahead) well they couldn't get there yet one of them cut off the truck (middle bike) and the truck locked all four tires (tire smoke and I could hear the screaching tires) well then the biker slowed (I assume to allow his "buddies" to get ahead of the truck) so the truck is already riding the brakes but the bike is slowing further (so from my vantage point I would guess maybe 10-15' between front bumber and rear tire) The other two bikers start yelling at the truck driver about tailgating their buddy.--fast forward about 15 seconds and those 200 yards, we are all at the red light, one bike in the right turn lane, 2 bikes split the lanes and yelling at the truck driver and then the fourth biker parked in my lane (left) right in front of me and right behind the cars his "buddies" were next to yelling at the truck driver, and he is looking to get off his bike. Thankfully the light changed green and the truck was able to drive away without incident- but clearly these idiots and these types of actions are one of the many reasons JOE PUBLIC has a bad image of motorcyclists. I was siding with the truck driver and would totally of backed him in this scenario, even if I would have had to knock that parked bike over to stop their stupidity.( I already had my seatbelt off and was ready to get out if need be) There are so many stupid idiots out there and they come in all shapes and sizes.

Be careful out there and remember to be on the lookout for any and all dangers.
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
  Scary mess! Anyone know what happened in the end? ???GJ
john pierson

Offline SilkMoneyLove

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 08:47:46 PM »
I don't know what ended up with that, but I have to say there is NO WAY I would be sticking around to have a chat with that guy.  I have had this happen before and I just stay on the gas and hope that if I do get pulled over, the cop believes my side of the story "guy tried to run me down, I bolted, he is chasing...this ain't a game, this is my life."
Forget the stop sign, just slow and go it.  Do not give the guy a chance to hit you.
Newbie since 2011 😄

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
This is all over the internet.  http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=pickup+driver+tries+to+kill+motorcyclist&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

That, plus the fact that this guys license plate # is in the video means that he is going to be in a world of hurt.  If the cops don't do anything to him I'm guessing that there will still be some major vigilante justice coming his way...

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »
For this reason I never blow past people even on country roads.  I may be doing twice the speed limit coming up behind them but I slow down and pass them with a little wave to avoid pissing them off. 

I'm not that worried about violence but more so the idea I have that 3/4 of the rural population is buddies with the Sheriff and I don't want Old Farmer Joe calling his cops friends on me and having them have a speed trap setup 5 miles up the highway....
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »
Aways wave at farmer Joe, good PR
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:20:43 PM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
Looks like all parties are enjoying the country air. 

You want to break a law, go ahead.  If others get upset, don't be surprised if they break a law in return. 

You don't like their action and feel that it is excessive, so what. 

You are not the only one allowed to break a law.  Both of the drivers should cool off a bit, but at least they both got a chance to express their opinions thru actions. 

MC riders are not the only people that want to express their street styles. 

Offline mnxs54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
All I can say is wow. If it was me, I wouldn't be inclined to ask myself what was in that truck driver's mind. I'd interpret it as him trying to kill or certainly injure me severely. I would then act accordingly.

I see this chap's behavior as confirmation of the biblical and legal injunctions against procreation too close within your own gene pool.
2006 ST1300
2007 SV650
IBA# 45004