Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:02:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scala Rider G4 - thoughts?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
Scala Rider G4 - thoughts?
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
I am seriously considering getting at least one of the Scala Rider G4 bluetooth headsets...  I have only 2 questions:

Should I get the boom (normal) or the corded mic version?

Is there anything better?

Ok, 3 questions:  does anyone want to split a powerset?  I doubt I'd need two more than once or twice a year, especially at this price, but I'm tempted.

Would love any input, but looking for a product that actually and really works well this time.  I have a few hundred bucks into Clearer Com throat mic headsets for FRS which were slightly disappointing (but functional to a point/speed/conversation complexity), FRS earpieces which worked only to hear from a radio in a car, and a really old set of radio shack VOX intercom units my buddy and i tried to use on our mopeds back when we were kids... big bucks at the time I'm sure, and a complete failure.

Thanks,

Andy

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
Re: Scala Rider G4 - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
I have had one for a year now, bought to use with a buddy for a cross country trip as an intercom but use it for almost every street ride now to stream music from my phone and take quick phone calls (what's your ETA, where's the meet spot, etc.) I love it. Call clarity on their end is very good, on my end it's good but above 60 mph it's hard for me to hear them. (I positioned mine under some padding in the helmet.)

Definitely get the corded version, I had the boom version until a month ago and kept "eating" the mic foam and had to always adjust it to get it in the right spot to pick up my voice well. The corded vision is much lower profile and you can just stick it in the right spot and forget about it.

The only thing I can compare it to is a set of GMRS chatterbox units (non-BT), they were clunky and had pretty bad audio quality. But they were a couple generations back so not really an apples to apples comparison.
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:42:49 AM »
does this allow for earbuds, or they must use the speakers that come with it ??
been lightly kickin around something, tunes, phone... wait i have ATT and my phone never works on gas stops.  ;)
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:32 AM »
I have two of the G2's, I just used the hell out of them (12+ hours per day) on my trip out west the batteries held up for the whole day. The helmet to helmet communication work very well up too 100mph then the wind noise makes it hard to hear. I have use the G2 with my iPhone G4 works nicely for tacking calls, I have had issues with the voice commands for making calls, but I don't think that is an issue with the product.
If your not going to use\need the music streaming over blue tooth save the extra $$ and get the G2, I personally,  wished I would have gotten the G4 or the G2 pro both have the music streaming over Bluetooth. Over all a very good product.
Chris
----------