Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:38:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?  (Read 19503 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Re: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 09:08:29 AM »
It’s interesting to see how motorcycling relates so differently to each individual. In a recent post, spirited riding is referred to as “testosterone poisoned” riding. I suppose for some that might be an accurate description, and I bet there are other descriptions as well. Let's hear from others!

For me, if you were to put those electrode thingys on my melon ( :P) when I’m riding, I suspect the readings would almost be that I was sedated. When I’m carving up HWY 123, Hwy 14, or Push Mountain Road in Arkansas I’m so focused on doing the one task at the moment, that I’m completely at peace and “in the moment”. It’s almost “restful”.

I suppose that's the "zen" effect so often referred to in motorcycle circles.

Asleep at the wheel (behind the bars),
Greg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:15:08 AM by stevens_ave929 »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 09:21:28 AM »

I suppose that's the "zen" effect so often referred to in motorcycle circles.

I always called it "in the zone". It's almost like a pheromone, last year when I was
riding Big Thompson Canyon in CO, the riding was so perfect I hated for it to end. And
makes me anxious to get back there next week.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »
It’s interesting to see how motorcycling relates so differently to each individual. In a recent post, spirited riding is referred to as “testosterone poisoned” riding. I suppose for some that might be an accurate description, and I bet there are other descriptions as well. Let's hear from others!

Oh boy...

Well I've been around all sorts of cultures/groups; but I’ve only been on sportbikes for about 14 or so years. 

So the types of rides that I have attended?

Squid rides with barely any gear chasing girls in Anoka
Mixed rides with vintage bikes/cruisers/sportbikes
All cruiser rides where I’ll trade out a sportbike for an HD
Long hauls staying overnight with 14 hour long riding sessions
St Croix/Mississippi Valley riding (the fabled twisties)

Interstate/ highway/ county roads/ dirt roads

I love it all.

BUT… I have discovered in my old age that I am not a fan of the “look what I can do” types of rides anymore.  It used to not bug me, but it kind of does now.  And I think this is what Ian is talking about (the testosterone rides).

It’s the inadequacy issues of the rider(s) that just reeks of desperation; makes the whole thing kinda awkward (especially when they crash).   

Not sure if that's what you meant, Greg.

If that's your experiences, then that's your reality.

I'd like to expand on the highlighted quotes in your post. Take for example the folks that meet (at least used to, do they still?) along 394 in St. Louis Park and ride obnoxiously down 394/94 over to St. Paul and back, zipping in & out of traffic. Is that the type of riding you put in that category? I know I sure would. Not a whole lot of talent (or smarts) taking place with that type of riding. But then again, others may see it differently. I guess where I draw the line with some guys style of riding is that I feel they are overtly endangering others and not just themselves, which crosses an ethical line IMO.

Also, I guess in my above post I'm looking for the "esoteric" experiences of motorcycling and how it rewards each individual rider.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:17:53 PM by stevens_ave929 »
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 03:57:17 PM »

I always called it "in the zone". It's almost like a pheromone, last year when I was
riding Big Thompson Canyon in CO, the riding was so perfect I hated for it to end. And
makes me anxious to get back there next week.
Love that feeling.
Chris
----------

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
Chris,
  I'm sorry you're going down the road of "gotcha" politics. Feel free to scour my posts at all 3 major forums (same nik everywhere) and I'm sure you'll be able to uncover more inconsistencies.
  I'll gladly discuss this at greater lengthy on any future rides as past experience (10 years on motorcycle forums) has taught me points made in a post can be misunderstood. (case in point  :))

Greg 

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Greg, you got defensive, I was just pointing out to you,  that your readers are getting confused if they follow you on this forum (not talking about other forums and not talking about years ago, these are both newish posts). following your statements it appears that your on both sides of the argument.
Chris
----------

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
.... or with one other rider that I trust explicitly (like Ian).
That's funny, Liz said the same thing to me about 15 months ago.   Say, how old is your kid anyway? :-X :o ;D
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »
  I got some interesting replies on MSBR & T.A. about seeing a crashed bike on CR O going home from monday's ride.  One fellow said who hasn't crashed on O? I think/hope his reply was tongue in cheek. GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
  I got some interesting replies on MSBR & T.A. about seeing a crashed bike on CR O going home from monday's ride.  One fellow said who hasn't crashed on O? I think/hope his reply was tongue in cheek. GJ ::)

Right, it was tongue in cheek, didn't think it needed explanation.  Such drama over there.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
Ugh... the moderating staff there is SO lazy. 
Say, wasn't there a moderator over there with the same screen name as you have? ::)

Sorry, back to the original subject of riding crash free.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »

Right, it was tongue in cheek, didn't think it needed explanation.  Such drama over there.

created by 2 people from over here :/   i've been on a lot of forums and i'd say the drama-level here isn't much (if any) lower than anywhere else.

as far as reducing risks for the rest of this year, i think we need to increase our following distance slightly and be more willing to slow down / concede a position if we aren't comfortable at any given time (i've seen some "uncomfortable" people on mn-msta rides and i doubt they'd admit it).  futhermore, i've witnessed some passing (of cars) that made me cringe and i think a teeny-bit more patience as we select times to pass would really improve our chances.

i'm not pointing fingers, trust me, i've made/make my share of bad decisions, just describing a bit of what i've seen.  if someone was watching me they might say i run a bit hot on the more common roads, but i hope they'd say i run unfamiliar roads slower than most, and i hope they'd see consistently better than average decisions specifically being made around other people / cars / bikes.  <shrug />

a.s.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 09:04:37 PM »
oh yeah, you know when we need to get our guard up is when something unusual happens.

i made a series of bad decisions, needlessly risking others in our group, albeit travelling slowly in fairly straight line, right after lloyd got lost once.  i knew where we were but wasn't quite sure if he broke from the route on purpose or not.  i should have just waited it out rather than distracting others and moving around in the group.  erich saved the day at a stop sign with a quick re-route thanks to his GPS, my choices did nothing good that i know of.

a.s.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:39 PM »
Well, if my comment is drama, then what is real drama.  I guess my point was missed.  I read the Red Wing and Ellsworth on-line news and the crash rate on County O is pretty bad.  The statement I made, "who hasn't crashed on County O" was a rhetorical question that was intended to highlight this fact.  Wasn't meant to insult, inflame or put-down anyone and it seems some readers want to act overly sensitive about what would otherwise be a topic worthy of discussion.  Labeling this as drama seems to dismiss that opportunity altogether. 

Offline gdawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 08:31:27 AM »
I like Pizza and Pasta in the same meal.  Just so you know.  ......

We are getting way off track but the discussions are good. 

I like how this forum is suddenly alive with thought.  And I appreciate the opinions...even if I differ. 

Bottom line is, these points being made need to be "re-highlighted" every now and then. 

Keeps us in check and is kinda like that corner you went into a little too hot, but pulled it out!!

Let the chips drop and enjoy the riding.  Productive discussion by all.  thx. 

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
"a short lecture giving everyone a heads up, that this aint no race, and to keep the ego's in check is a good idea. Also I was on one of these rides and one of my friends was told he was riding too close for his first time riding with this crew (problem solved) If you are a respected rider and you put your foot down when someone is ridin like a dill weed, it should only be looked at as the right thing to do. I would rather have someone say, knock it off or go home, rather than I new the guy was gonna crash, he was ridin like an idiot."

While most of the regular leaders have given a lecture or two, have had to say something to a rider or two, this should not be an expected event...believe me raising my voice and getting all pissy with someone or a group of someones isn't my idea of a good time, pre ride or anytime.....and my trigger----I can raise my voice at a moments notice with little provacation.
 Many members have their "favorites" to ride with, this is generally riders who one really enjoys (personally or just conversationally) and ride very similarly. None of those riders require being lectured and shouldn't.
So if a lecture is "required" at the beginning or during a ride then it is likely you have the wrong group of riders along----the wrong group of riders can lead to stress, distractions, and an overall not so enjoyable event-which causes people to not attend, not lead and not participate and potentially could increase the chances of a crash.

* I understand growing a group, a community or whatever...I am glad we don't invite the "other" forums to join in any longer-
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
I've been banished  8)
Push Harder