Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:57:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?  (Read 19539 times)

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
Re: How Can We Make 2011 A Crash Free Year?
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
No not from that one, the other two. I sort of banished myself.
Push Harder

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Mike,
banish = moderator stops you posting
bored = stopping yourself posting
I've been bored with a couple of other local sites and only got banished from Triumphrat.net - 1 year for speaking my mind about a moderator.  I still like MNSTA and MNSBR.   I've got a thick skin and don't tend to get my panties in a knot, so I still enjoy MNSBR.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline gsfreeman2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »
We need to be hypercritical in looking at our accidents to learn from our mistakes and we need to take advantage of the accidents of others and learn from them, as this is the cheapest way to learn. For example, the forced error example of drunk driver over the yellow in a blind turn is a real example of something which happened to a rider many of us know. The lesson the rider learned and shared with the rest of us: don't ride in Wisconsin when the Packers have just finished playing a game as the likelihood of drunks being on the road is increased.

Hopefully this forum and discussion will help us all develop the experience and judgement to distinguish between forced and unforced errors and how what most might consider a forced error, might be considered an unforced error. The more we find successful ways to consider forced errors are unforced errors, the less our riding safety depends on luck.

Ray, you make a good point.  On another forum I am on (ADVrider) which, granted, is a VERY large board, there is a section dedicated to "Face Plant".  Not that crashes are considered to be a badge of honor, but rather, they can become learning experience for ourselves and others.  Talking through things and learning from others' experiences can also rediret ones' thoughts to think about things differntly.  There's no shame in discussing what has happened, as long as we learn from it.

Just my $0.02.

Greg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:11:02 AM by gsfreeman2 »

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2011, 09:28:25 AM »

For which I applaud you.

And look who makes there first post after lurking for 7+ hours...lol.........welcome to the conversation
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
Lloyd I knew you'd like that one. Live and learn as they always say.
Push Harder

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »
Sorry i couldnt keep it a crash free year. Yea im the arcadia guy. :-P

Im getting better each day here. Cant wait to get back on the saddle..

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
^ I hear you have video of the crash....do you have it posted up somewhere?

Oh and there was also a woman who crashed that day only about 2 miles the other side of 93/95 Kwik Trip--she too was air lifted after hitting a guard rail...presumably no helmet
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
Just got the video cam back today. Reviewed it and its 100% how i remeber it.

Yes raging inside.. I will post it publicly as soon as my insurance is signed sealed and delivered.

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
  I thought I would revisit this thread, since 8 of the top ten "viewed" are about rides, and 2 have to do with crashing and safety.

Part of the "talk" on this thread about "members" crashing....

Not to nitpick, but a few of the "members" who crashed haven't actually joined a mn-msta ride, ever. The rides they crashed on were from those other forums. They have screen names on those other forums.

I would hardly call thier crashes a mn-msta "member" crash.

If I were to go out on one of my customers rides who are mnsbr members and crash, would that count against mnsbr or mn-msta? I mean I have a screen name on both forums (hell I think I even have a screen name on ZG) but I am only active on mn-msta..There is a definate distinction, which is glossed over by many.
In my book it doesn't count against either, I am riding and responsible for my own riding not some organization or forum.........no people I have not crashed !
I will see a few of you on Sunday.

FWIW (I like rays little hit at the end...)

I would hardly call them a member at all for that matter, a name on the list of members, does not make one a "member.
Participation makes one a member.....

So many "members" on here do all their posting and riding on those other forums. They are members there, not here, in my book.

*** Just so I am not misunderstood (cuz I often am)- I full well understand the distinction between a "new" member who actually participates  (albeit limitedly since they are "new") compared to someone who has an account and user name but doesn't participate, regardless if they have any posts or even a few posts..
 And YES GREG--I speak for myself as I always do !!***
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:17:02 PM by Lloyd »

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Yea my ride doesnt really count as msta. I havnt been on any msta official rides yet.

Guess mine was a msbr crash :-P

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:49 AM »
Yea my ride doesnt really count as msta. I havnt been on any msta official rides yet.
Guess mine was a msbr crash :-P

No it was your crash.....in the respect that it happened to you.  Oh & yes you've been on a ride on MSTA since you made a couple rides I put on last season & earlier this one.

I wish people would stop putting labels on the crashes that happen.  Sure the ride starts thru one forum or another.

But the crash that happens only has to do with the people involved.

If all of us as forum participants are doing our part, we should be spreading the word about riding safety & education.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:57:58 AM by Tumbler »
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2011, 08:56:43 AM »
I wish people would stop putting labels on the crashes that happen.  Sure the ride starts thru one forum or another.

But then how are we supposed to blanketly judge groups / forums?  First it was put forth that we can't judge skill of an individual (one outcome of the Pace Guide and Riding Safely threads), now we can't even pin X crashes on Y group?  How are we going to find or avoid like-minded or dis-similar riders?

a.s.

(p.s. that was in jest or whatever, not sarcastic, but smart-aleck-y)  :P

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2011, 02:10:07 PM »
Well of course it wasnt mnsbrs fault. Lol.

It was mine for following a dumbass and not leaving enough room to compensate. So i guess that makes me a dumbass too. You hopefully live and you learn :-P I learned my lesson. I came out of my accident way better than i should have.

On that note, i went riding yesterday. Leg still broken but i can hold my bike up no problem. Wont be doin any long rides tho just in case it fatigues on me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:11:42 PM by Ultra_Magnus »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2011, 04:14:10 AM »
Well of course it wasnt mnsbrs fault. Lol.

It was mine for following a dumbass and not leaving enough room to compensate. (Should have known better but thats ok......shit happens & you hadn’t ridden with him before.) So i guess that makes me a dumbass too. (No....just unaware of your surroundings & following too close.) You hopefully live and you learn :-P I learned my lesson. I came out of my accident way better than i should have.

On that note, i went riding yesterday. Leg still broken but i can hold my bike up no problem. Wont be doin any long rides tho just in case it fatigues on me.

I've done that too.  Rode over 250 miles 3 days after breaking my collar bone.  Probably not the best idea but still worth it!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:08:03 AM by Tumbler »

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:44 AM »
But then how are we supposed to blanketly judge groups / forums?  First it was put forth that we can't judge skill of an individual (one outcome of the Pace Guide and Riding Safely threads), now we can't even pin X crashes on Y group?  How are we going to find or avoid like-minded or dis-similar riders?

a.s.

(p.s. that was in jest or whatever, not sarcastic, but smart-aleck-y)  :P

I know it was in jest but still...& I get that.

Like I've said.....much can be said about the different forums but still...if it's out there it can be used for multiple purposes.

With that said, MN-MSTA has done far better than any other forum I've been on for keeping things oriented in a safe manner.

Of course there is always room for improvement....I'm just sayin'
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:25:56 AM by Tumbler »