Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Busted on speed camera in Tennessee  (Read 8526 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
Busted on speed camera in Tennessee
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
Anyone else on the Appalachian trip get a letter from the Bluff City Police Photo Safety Program in the mail recently? 
(Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not admit to it in the open forum)

Here's the skinny:
They have video of me doing 57 in 45. I called the number listed and got some odd answers. Apparently this is NOT a moving violation on their statutes (huh? :o) but the equivalent to a parking violation. My guess is they might have had these cameras contested in their courts ....   
Anyway, I told the woman I live 800 miles away, so it's next to impossible for me to fight this in court. I asked her if a warrant would be issued if I fail to pay, and she said no. (again ..., huh? ???)
I'll do more checking and update you guys accordingly.

Greg aka Racer X
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
Re: Busted on speed camera in Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
 How much is the fine?

I would probably talk to an attorney who knows tennessee law-or practices there to confirm or deny if this is actually a "moving offense" if it is not I'd just pay it and be done-If so I would find out if in fact it is even legal to ticket via a "speed camera" since there is no way to prove who the operator is (with gear on) how can they ticket the owner-isn't that why the law went bye bye in MN and other states?
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
isn't that why the law went bye bye in MN and other states?

The fine is $50. I'm not going to pay on principle if there isn't any consequences.

I believe traffic cameras for stop sign enforcement were contested here in Minnesota and the Minnesota Supreme Court said they were unconstitutional ..... but Tennessee isn't Minnesota. 
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
Wow, nothing like a bogus way to fund public works. 

My recollection of the MN courts bagging on the cameras were not due to the cameras themselves.  Rather it's the practice our state employed by snapping a shot of the license plate, then putting the proof on the owner of the car that they were not driving it.  It would have been acceptable if the camera took a frontal with the face and the plate.  Which begs the question, even if they shot you from the front, you had your helmet on, right?  That seems ripe to send the "bill" back with a "sorry man, wasn't me on my bike that day."  I'm sure they won't bother trying to spend thousands trying to get that $50 from you.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
speed camera's have been proven unconstitutional in every state, I would tell them you plan on fighting it and you want to cross examine  the accuser, per your constitutional right.
Chris
----------

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
I was researching Chris's statement and realized that it was Red Light Cameras (or how it was applied) that were ruled unconstitutional in MN.  I can't find much information about speed cameras but since there appears no US Supreme Court ruling on the subject, I think it's a stretch to say they are unconstitutional in every state.  According to the iihs, there are 93 municipalities using speed cameras.  http://www.iihs.org/laws/cameramap.aspx

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
pkpk, you're right I thought that speed cameras were lumped in with the Red Light Cameras. But they do have the same principle in your Guilty until you prove that it was not you driving. You also have the right to examine the person charging you with the crime.
Chris
----------

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »
Well, it didn't take much Googling to find this page.

http://www.bluffcitypd.com/

Offline EdgeRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:33:21 PM »
no unexpected mail as of yet  (keeps fingers crossed)    :o

Which day was the citation written?  I think we rode through that town on both Wed and Thursday.

Looks like the taxi driver was correct about not paying any photo tickets.   ;)
That link about the guy buying up the city's PD website was pretty funny though.

Ray C

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »
It was June 29th at 8:34AM. It must have been when we were headed out of town on our way through West Virginia and up to Ohio. You were just behind me and your helmet is visible in one of the pictures.

And after further research, I'm not payin'    ;)

On the lam,
Greg

*responding to Vince below*  I believe so.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:59:31 PM by stevens_ave929 »

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
Isn't that the  day Allon lead the group and we took the dirt road to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 11:03:20 PM »
Wow Greg that is just a crazy thing they have going on there in Bluff City.  By principal I will avoid that city and their local economy when I am in that area.  Makes me kind of want to bend my license plate up a bit if I'm down there like a lot of the Squids do with their half-ass tailkits. Perhaps make it harder to see on camera. 

But yea - don't pay.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride