Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GPX route creation - can I get some help?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
GPX route creation - can I get some help?
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
What program do you use for creating routes?  I have made a couple by creating a route in Google earth and then using a KML to GPX converter, however that's a royal pain because it's very hard to see county roads in google earth, especially when you zoom out slightly. 

I haven't figured out how to obtain a copy of MapSource from Garmin.  I use a Garmin 1490t that supports Routes, and I'd like to create some routes so as to share with the forum here.  I currently use EasyGPS to transfer routes to my Garmin.

Any tips or if you can hook up some software, that'd be great.  Thanks guys/gals.
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
Re: GPX route creation - can I get some help?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
Here's some good info from Garmin, looks like you could try the Trip and Waypoint Manager (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=664). I have a Streetpilot 2720 which comes with the maps on DVD. I have to buy a new version each year to update my GPS and it comes with Mapsource.

From Garmin:
MapSource is a valuable tool if you have a device that doesn't accept data cards or that has a small built-in memory. MapSource is only available with our DVD/CD map products.

Our DVD/CD map products contain smaller map sets that compile the entire map. Because devices with small built-in memories probably do not contain enough memory for the entire DVD/CD, MapSource enables you to transfer just the parts of the map you need to your device.
What We Recommend

If you have a Garmin device that doesn't accept data cards or that has a small built-in memory and you want to purchase a Garmin map, we recommend the DVD/CD version, because that is currently the only way to transfer smaller segments of the map to your device.

Also with MapSource, you'll be able to view all of the detailed maps on your computer, which is helpful when planning. The level of detail depends on the map that you purchase, but details may include highways, interstates, business and residential roads in metropolitan and rural areas, and points of interest.

If you are considering purchasing a map for an upcoming trip, we recommend purchasing a DVD/CD version of the map, which includes MapSource. With MapSource, you will be able to see map details on your computer to aid you with your planning.
An Alternative to MapSource

If you have a device that has preloaded maps, and you have not purchased additional maps on DVD/CD, then you do not have MapSource. MapSource does not come with the purchase of a map download or a map on microSD™/SD™ card. It is only included with the purchase of a Garmin map on DVD/CD.

If you simply want a way to create and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks from your computer to your Garmin device, Garmin’s Trip and Waypoint Manager lets you do all the things MapSource does, but without the detailed map data and ability to transfer map sets. It is available for individual sale from our online store.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
thanks a lot!  I will do some more research on that option
- Matt from Richfield

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:58:09 AM »
i don't know if it will help much (as i've never tried to make a map into a GPS format), but I have had good luck using google maps (instead of google earth) for route planning, saving the map to "My Maps".  Once in there it has a link for KML, which I've used to get at and manipulate the data.

Changing the icons and color is all i've done, but pehaps you could feed that into your GPS; of course the whole thing would only be worth doing if routing in google maps is better than in google earth...  You can also re-display KML data on google maps if you put the KML file somewhere web-accessible and then enter the URL to the KML file into the google maps search box.

Keep us posted, I was thinking of getting the 1490, especially if the price starts to drop, and I'd definitely want to have it let me tell it where to go.   :)

a.s.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:54:11 AM »
Google Maps is FAR better at mapping than Google earth.  No comparison.  So far the 1490 is awesome.  It's $119 at tiger direct now refurb'd.  Very pleased.  Big display and touch screen works perfect with gloves on.

I will try what you said - I did not know you could do that after saving google maps.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »
This web site lets you convert just about anything

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
This web site lets you convert just about anything

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/

Thanks again for that link, it should come in handy.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »
So far the 1490 is awesome.

How is it powered? Via USB connection?  I have a Garmin that requires a screwy power set-up that I would like to replace.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
yes - mini usb connection on the unit.  For $119 it's a good buy if you're looking to upgrade.  The 5" display is a major plus compared to a 4.3" unit on the bike, that little bit really helps when glancing down at it.  Touch screen works great with gloves too.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
You may want to consider Microsoft Streets and Trips instead of Mapsource. The current version of MS&T can export files in GPX format. The MS&T route creating interface is much easier to use than the Garmin interface.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »
Thanks Ray, actually just downloaded the 60 day free trial last night.  Then it's only $25 so I may go that route.
- Matt from Richfield

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 04:34:17 PM »
yes - mini usb connection on the unit. 
Thanks

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »
Matt, I've been playing with my mom's 1450(lmt).  I recently went through the hoops of installing the most recent maps update and chose the Save Maps on Computer option at the end...  lo and behold i now have Mapsource installed, and it works awesome (for what i've tried (regular vacation planning, basic routes)).  I hope to have time to try entering some more challenging routes like we'd ride to see if I can make it go where I want it to.

Also, a trick I heard awhile ago that i had forgotten, if you install garmin's training center you can then download the mapsource update and it will install, but i'd try getting it through a map update as mentioned above first.  i did this route on a computer and i definitely think the maps i got are lacking ("PC Basemap" vs. "City Navigator North America..."?), and i wasn't impressed at all with the functionality.  keep in mind though when i did this i was mostly trying to use a Forerunner GPS watch and it's maps/software in ways it wasn't meant to be used.

a.s.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
Right now I have briefly played with Microsoft street and trip with their free trial, and I will probably go with it.  It's user friendly and only $25.

The GPS itself has been great with routes. 
- Matt from Richfield

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
That's cool, I just created a route in mapsource and then moved it into google maps (My Places | Import) going through GPS Visualizer to move the format from GPX (Save As... in mapsource) to KML.  I'm pretty happy with the result:

Code: [Select]
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203421098766869315864.0004aaa44e1f900d81aab&msa=0
The actual mapping in mapsource was neither horrible nor great, in this case I just setup start and end towns and then right-clicked New Waypoints-ed at key intersections (the white/black squares in GMaps) and added those waypoints to the route until it routed on the roads I wanted.  Hard to know how that would feel on a monster route...  but i kinda dig the Print Directions PDF.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:57:01 PM by aschendel »