Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 09:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Art of Cornering  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
The Art of Cornering
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »
Recently attended Keith Code's Superbike school at VIR.  Did level 1/2, and came away a totally different rider.  They mix classroom sessions with on-track drills (one drill per session) that wiil totally transform your perception of riding a motorcycle on the street or track.  Expensive, yes, worth it, also yes.

P.S. To the rider on a Futura, with side bags, that passed me in turn 1 while I was dragging a knee, you schooled me.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:08:55 PM by Tim... »

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: The Art of Cornering
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
Code's school is on my bucket list.  Probably makes sense to do it sooner rather than later so I can actually USE the skills before I'm too old to ride.  I actually had this VIR date on my calendar this year but didn't do it because I had a busy schedule for weekend, which changed a couple of days ago.  What bike did you ride?

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
wow, just looked at this they have classes all over the U.S. you can kind of pick your track and they have a class. I would like to do that too... I was looking at the prices and they are not to bad for a day class the two day is not that bad either, considering they give you gear and a bike to use.
Chris
----------

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
Well, it's kind of expensive ($450 to $490) compared to a track day, but then it's not just a track day, either.  Another $200-$225 for the BMW isn't bad, and then you could expect a properly set-up bike.

I looked at the three closest tracks, VIR (May and August), Barber (June), and Miller (July).  Each one's about 1000 miles away.  VIR was the only that remotely suited my schedule this year, but it didn't fit it well enough, I guess.

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
They have a fleet of S1000RR's for rental, one of which I used.  This was my main reason for choosing Superbike School as my current ride is the same; although, I had to get familiar with a conventional shift pattern all-over again - missed a few gear changes :(

Originally I wanted to sign up for the two-day camp, but it was full.  Whitney convinced me to take Level 1/2 on the single day sessions, indicating that the only difference is the student/coach ratio (3:1, 2:1) and the number of on-track sessions (5 vs. 6 for the two-day camp).  The deal sealer for me is that she knocked off $100 per-day and included the gear (usually $70/day).   $1150 for the two single sessions vs $2250 for the two-day camp - definitely go for the single sessions as they are willing to deal.

They are first-class all the way - show up in your underwear and they provide bike, gear, breakfast, constant supply of snacks,  lunch, cold water, salt pills, ear plugs, a mechanic, and a staff that epitomizes professionalism.

Definitely doing level 3/4 at Laguna Seca next spring.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:02:18 PM by Tim... »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
Laguna would be awesome to do, but that drive would suck bad :(

Brent it's more then just a track day.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:11:23 PM by Chris »
Chris
----------

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
Yes, driving would "suck", but my plan is to take an aeroplane.

Laguna would be awesome to do, but that drive would suck bad :(

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:31:36 AM »
If that Futura was red, it was probably Ron.  He loves doing that and has even passed people at track days 2 up.  Ron posts U tube videos of his track days and he is quite talented.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
Humbling to say the least, when you get passed on the same lap by a guy on a decked out sport-touring bike and a 14 year old kid on an SV.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
Humbling to say the least, when you get passed on the same lap by a guy on a decked out sport-touring bike and a 14 year old kid on an SV.

These guys have probably run this track before and new the pavement condition and turns well. I bet you would be faster than them on SS or WI 95.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
this is also on my bucket list.