Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ICE numbers  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
ICE numbers
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
Whenever I take a group to Arkansas, we put together a list of "in case of emergency" phone numbers on the off change that a family member or close friend may be needed to be contacted. Thankfully, the phone numbers have never had to be used, but it's nice knowing they were there if needed.
I can't imagine being in a situation where someones life is on the line and I have no one to call to let them know their assistance/support is needed. One thought that occurred to me is to have all group ride attendees give their ICE numbers to the organizer of the ride, even for local rides.

Thoughts?

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
Re: ICE numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
holly cow, next you will want permission slips for our parents to go on rides.... :P

but really its not a bad idea, maybe not on every ride but maybe a privet forum topic? or email?
Chris
----------

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »
http://wetleather.com/medform  that might help make it easier.
 i have yet to fill one out though.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
I already have everyones phone numbers, email addresses etc in my phone....of course that doesn't insure I will get ahold of their "significant other" since many only have listed a cell number-which they likely will have on them already.  :-)

But yes it is a good idea to have information for just such a case of emergency.

whether it is done on a need to have basis or a general "here is everyones contact information" type of deal.....No input--but I get too much spam already both email and phone-so I would prefer it was more private although all my information is all over everywhere already
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:28:26 PM »
Or just make it a requirement that the riders have it on their person - in their cell phones (if not locked) or in their wallet.     

I have written "ICE over" in Sharpie on the front of my driver's license and my spouse's numbers on the back.  That is the first place the EMT/first responders look.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Gramps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
I know first hand what it's like to not be able to find phone numbers, let alone the phone, of a friend of mine that had a fatal accident a few years ago.
I wear a ResQtag on all my jackets.
Unfortunately they are sold out everywhere I've looked.
Marc
'13 TEX 1200

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
I wear a dog tag.  The reason is rather simple.  Usually the last point of ID is on a table while your clothes are being cut off.  The dog tag has the emergency contact, blood type and listed known allergies (or lack of in my case.)  The last item is very important as medical staff generally try to make an attempt to contact the family for any a known allergies before proceeding with any sort of chemical measures.  Those few minutes can be the difference between life and death.   http://www.medids.com/DogTags.html

I also have a wallet Id with the same information.  However a billfold and phone can become separated from their owners. 

Some swear by the helmet mounted Id.  When I had a bad accident in 2001, my helmet wound up sitting on a shelf in the ambulance bay for two days before I finally asked about my gear.  Right about when they gave up tearing my room apart, came a phone call from the Emergency Desk asking if I lost my helmet.  A helmet ID would have been totally ineffective here.

Despite the nanny tone over Greg-Not-Steve's thought, his idea has very real meaning.  There is nothing more frustrating to medical and enforcement than trying to figure out where John Doe came from.  Going back to my accident, a person was able to call my wife from the scene and she was able to even come to the scene.  At the very least, she would have been able to beat me to the hospital. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:34:18 PM by pkpk »

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Having ICE on your phone and/or wearing dog tags or the equivalent is a great idea and the right idea in my opinion.

Telling everyone your emergency contact info is only good if you keep everyone you give it to up to date. I request this information as part of the registration for TWiSTAR where the vast majority of folks in attendance only see each other once a year. OTOH, for folks who ride together much more frequently, it is much easier and probably more fool proof to keep the right information on yourself up to date and when an accident happens fool proof is probably what works best.

Great topic. Needs to be brought up every year.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
I've got an ICE card in my wallet...  the actual order in the "clear" flap (typical DL spot), is ICE info, proof of insurance, then license.  When I ride out with people I usually make it a point to mention where it is, just in case.  Dog tags are a great idea too, as well as listing allergies / no allergies.

a.s.