Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:16:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting hot on your ride - here 's how I stay Cool :-)  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
Getting hot on your ride - here 's how I stay Cool :-)
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:56 PM »
Hey Riders,

We had a great ride today (except for the unexpected dual sport section) Tony asked me to post this info regarding a cooling vest that works great in the summer and serves as an extra layer in the cooler months.  It was a great addition to my gear on the 9 days out to the mountains in July.

HyperKewl Standard Vest only $39.99

Soak it in cold water in sink for 2 or 3 minutes and you are good to go :-)

Check it out at:

http://www.allclimategear.com/hyperkewl-stnd-cooling-vest/

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
Re: Getting hot on your ride - here 's how I stay Cool :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:46:52 AM »
do you need to remove it once it starts drying out?? (so it doesnt work as an extra layer??)
never used one so sorry if its a dumb question
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
I bought the one (from Dennis Kirk) that has the attached collar so that I don't need to manage a coolie tie as well.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
The soak style cooling vest only works if the vest can evaporate quickly.  It's not very effective on a humid summer Minnesota day and it's dangerous if it can't evaporate (now you are wearing a hot, wet insulating layer.)  I only use mine on trips out west.  I never wear it in Minnesota. 

Joel - Yes, you will want to either soak it again, or take it off once it drys out.  It winds up being another layer and feeling miserable.  I carry a plastic bag to stash it.  I use the same bag to soak the vest in water (fill the bag at a gas station with the vest and wait five minutes.) 

Lloyd - The vest feels horrible while sitting in the back of a squad car.  Your method of ventilation would not be very effective.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:07:07 AM by pkpk »

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:54 PM »
Thanks PKPK for your comments -  1st things 1st you need to wear a StayDri / Wicking Tee Shirt underneath it for comfort.  2nd you need a textile mesh summer riding jacket so the air can get to the vest.  Lastly you need to soak it every two hours for maximum effectiveness and it works in MN too :-)

Stay Cool - Ride often - Have a great day!

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:17:05 PM »
I do wear wicking undergarmets but my point is if the vest cannot evaporate effectively, it winds up being an insulator holding heated water that can't go anywhere (it wasn't anything to do with the discomfort of feeling wet.)  A mesh coat would make sense, but it's not going to evaporate much if you're not moving. 

There are several types of cooling technology.  The evap cooling vest is known to be the most cost effective, but it's only as good as it's evaporating properties, and you seemed to have solved it with the mesh.  It's clearly not as effective in humid climates as it is in very dry climates.  Unfortunately, the alternatives for our climate are pretty spendy.  I know a guy who uses a circulated water system, which circulates with a pump through a ice box and he loves it.  But he paid $400 for that system, ouch.

Anyway, just trying to spare people from running out to buy a cooling vest and then feel miserable if it's not working correctly.  Midwest used to sell them, then stopped when people kept trying to return them.

Good info here:  http://www.wpi.edu/Pubs/E-project/Available/E-project-043009-013901/unrestricted/Final_Cooling_Vest%5B1%5D.pdf
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:19:51 PM by pkpk »