Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Utah crash - bystanders lift burning car off biker  (Read 3726 times)

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
Utah crash - bystanders lift burning car off biker
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Utah crash - bystanders lift burning car off biker
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »
Except it is a little scary how the guy drags the motorcyclist by the leg, and then how the two cops or emergency workers seem kind of rough with the guy.  I suppose if he could choose, maybe he'd prefer a spinal injury over third-degree burns.  Still, it's a little scary to think about how quickly I could be at the mercy of bystanders.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
I thought about that too.  When I saw the car sliding around to the right I was just glad they didn't drop it on him :P  Also, movies and the news have trained us that cars explode easily so no doubt the only thing they were worried about was a massive fireball killing the guy.  They almost could have left him in place and just moved (or rolled) the car but I don't think any of them thought that it would move at all...  although moving the car doesn't solve the burning bike problem.  Just glad someone was there and he apparently lived (thus far), hopefully if it's ever us we're conscious and can tell them to take it easy :D

a.s.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »
Heart wrenching video, I hope the guy makes it.

Something to note. Here's how 2 different printed articles describe the incident leading up to the crash:

ksl.com  quote:
"(The motorcyclist) saw what was taking place in front of him, laid the motorcycle down in an effort to keep from colliding with the vehicle," said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. "

msn.com quote:
"Wright intentionally grounded his cycle to avoid getting hit — but his bike went up in flames and he slid underneath the auto, which was also on fire."

huh?  :o

use your front brake, damn it ........
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »
"huh? 

use your front brake, damn it ........ "

No shit ! The second you lay down your bike you have lost any and all control of where you or the bike goes. Why are so many motorcyclists so uneducated on this fact? The bike will never stop faster than when it is on two wheels and the brakes properly applied (well until it hits the immoveable object)
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
The second you lay down your bike you have lost any and all control of where you or the bike goes. Why are so many motorcyclists so uneducated on this fact?

It's the myth that'll never die.  But in this case, wasn't it a cop who made the comment?  And I think crash in cop-speak might mean collision with something other than pavement -- the rider's body hitting the front of the car.  When I fall off my bike and slide on the pavement, I call that a crash whether I've hit anything else or not.

This might be the rare case where the guy was better off sliding under the car than if he'd smacked his noggin on the hood, but only because he wasn't wearing a helmet.  And someone will probably conclude that helmets are unnecessary -- as long as you know how to lay 'er down.

What's really unfortunate, though, is that it's entirely possible that this was a situation where the motorcyclist could have walked away without a scratch.  A little bit of braking and swerving practice might have prevented the accident in the first place.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
Lifting the car and grabbing his leg was the right thing to do. Trying to drive off or pushing the car off when he as no helmet on, man that would be bad.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
Yuck.  Tough video to watch.  Good on the bystanders for actually doing something instead of standing around and waiting for the man to show up.

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:28:28 PM »
Check out the fat dude in the business suit not doing a thing the whole time - Wow!

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 08:54:47 AM »
ksl.com  quote:
"(The motorcyclist) saw what was taking place in front of him, laid the motorcycle down in an effort to keep from colliding with the vehicle," said Assistant Logan Police Chief Jeff Curtis. "

You know what's funny... I read the same arcticle, and actually thought... "if Greg reads this he's gonna pop his Ben Gay tube in a clenched fist!"

;D

So I'm predictable AND old .... thanks.  :P

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline aschendel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Trying to drive off or pushing the car off when he as no helmet on, man that would be bad.

On the off-chance this was related to my statement about moving the car rather than the biker; I meant lift and move (like they basically did but farther) or flip it over onto its roof, not just backing (driving/pushing) it off him.

Cheers, :)

a.s.

p.s. I agree this appears very preventable.  It's hard to imagine a scenario where this (sliding along the ground with no gear / helmet on the wrong side of the road(?) into a car) was the best option.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:39:06 AM by aschendel »