Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sheez Crashed @ Least 3 Times Today  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
Sheez Crashed @ Least 3 Times Today
« on: September 24, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »
Frick. My 1st real dirt ride today. Single track. Damn trees are scary at even a walking pace. 3 hours of riding and only went 24 miles......

Managed to avoid hitting a tree so far, although I think it might be just a matter of time. Common wisdom here, says so.

Offline thunderchicken

• View Profile
Re: Sheez Crashed @ Least 3 Times Today
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:44 PM »
I went the other way a few years ago. Road dirt nearly all of my life. 12 or 13 years of which were spent racing MX. It wasn't until relatively recently that I swung a leg over a street bike. They really are two different worlds. But you'll get used to the shift in mentality, Ray. The controls are the same, but each discipline requires a different skill set. Practice, practice, practice.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
 Ray are you trying to disprove my statement in that other thread about "us" not bragging about crashing...LOL

Glad you had fun and it is about damn time you went out and really rode that bike.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:48:59 PM by Lloyd »
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
I rode at Nemadji eight days ago.  I never fell down the whole day, but I fell up a few times.  I'd get caught in a deep rut, fall off the bike, and end up higher than my seat.

I went about 25 years without riding a dirtbike.  My perspective has changed.  I'm sort of surprised at the street techniques that help in the dirt: Keep a loose grip on the bars, squeeze the bike with your legs, and put some weight your feet instead of your butt.  I'm happy I don't seem to have lost everything I knew.

I did hit a tree at Nemadji.  I didn't hit it very hard, but it was pretty rotten and it came crashing down, fortunately not on me.

Offline Mr. Gadget

• View Profile
    • Paid To Be Green
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »
Can't wait to ride some dirt with you Ray - Finally I will be able to share some tips with you ;) - I will be ready to host some dirt routes next year and host people near Brainerd at the cabin for a weekend in the dirt - Stay Tuned.

Just closed up the cabin this weekend

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
last time I rode dirt was at Theilman. I ate more dirt in 4 hours than I had in the last
4 years! At least the dirt was soft and squishy because it poured the night before. I kept
getting stuck in the single track ruts, but I didn't hit a tree! The best part was when I
attempted to ride down that short, steep hill, I think I skidded then slid on my side down 3/4's
of it. Worst part was the ride home. The trails are usually reserved for horses, and all that
soft squishy dirt was really horse manure!

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 04:54:34 PM »
Nice seeing you at Huntersville Ray. Personally I prefer the d/s rides to single track woods riding.
D/s rides like the Wisconsin D/s riders put at Wabeno or the Central ADV rally in Eagle river combines everything. From pavement to single track and everything in between. (ATV, snowmobile trails, forest roads etc)
I still find there there are a lot of similarities between sport touring and d/s riding. A testimony to that are the many d/s rides that were organized at STAR and a lot of other MSTA events.

Allon

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
Nice seeing you at Huntersville Ray. Personally I prefer the d/s rides to single track woods riding.
D/s rides like the Wisconsin D/s riders put at Wabeno or the Central ADV rally in Eagle river combines everything. From pavement to single track and everything in between. (ATV, snowmobile trails, forest roads etc)
I still find there there are a lot of similarities between sport touring and d/s riding. A testimony to that are the many d/s rides that were organized at STAR and a lot of other MSTA events.

Allon

Good seeing you too Allon. It was also nice to see Paul Schommer. I ended up also catching up with Jay Imholte and his dad Leon and Mark Cater, who was there with his oldest daughter and her boyfriend, having not ridden in several years.

Got adopted on Sunday by some folks while on a trail, which turned out to be fortuitous. Took out my left radiator in a small off on trail A and had to push back down the trail about 1/4 mi. Got a ride back to the campground from them, saving me a 3-4 mile walk.

I really ended up enjoying the single track and am looking forward to doing it again. Very technically challenging.

Have yet to do any dual sport, so who knows which type of dirt riding I'll prefer.

Offline allonm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »

Have yet to do any dual sport, so who knows which type of dirt riding I'll prefer.
[/quote]

I would like to put one together. An MSTA endorsed one.  :)
I need to get on that rustic road by Maiden Rock that I have passed through so many times.  :)
It will probably have to wait till next year though.

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
24 miles in 3 hours?!
Damn I'd be faster on my mountain bike under pedal power  ;)
I'd be afraid to get a dirty bike. I think going downhill on a bike at over 30 mph with trees less than a foot away is fun enough, if I had a motor I'd be dead!
Can I borrow your bike for an afternoon Ray?

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:23:52 PM »

I would like to put one together. An MSTA endorsed one.  :)
I need to get on that rustic road by Maiden Rock that I have passed through so many times.  :)
It will probably have to wait till next year though.

Give me date. I'd love to see one of these types of rides on the calendar

24 miles in 3 hours?!
Damn I'd be faster on my mountain bike under pedal power  ;)
I'd be afraid to get a dirty bike. I think going downhill on a bike at over 30 mph with trees less than a foot away is fun enough, if I had a motor I'd be dead!
Can I borrow your bike for an afternoon Ray?

You're more than welcome to borrow the dirt bike.

I don't know if people ride bicycles through the woods on what basically amounts to pig trails, but if they do, it must be tough as hell to do.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
I would love to do a dirt ride!

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
Spring of 2012 Theilman Saturday and Sunday be there.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
I did Theilman last year, ate more dirt that one day than the
whole season prior!

A lot of people there. Maybe we can trailer to Loretta Lynn's
in the spring.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel