Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Off season adventures?  (Read 8017 times)

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
Off season adventures?
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »
So, who is planning on doing some off-season (to us) riding?   Share your upcoming adventures if you want!

I'm doing a Chris Peris trackday in Arizona in late December or early January and I'm saving my $$ for a Boot Camp with Colin Edwards in April.  Next summer a trip out west is hopefully going to come together to visit Utah and to explore the Tetons.    ;D
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
Re: Off season adventures?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:35:48 AM »
With my upcoming medical bills I'll be lucky to buy that aluminum trailer I've always wanted. My plan was a trip where I could take both the motorcycles and the mountain bikes.
If you get a part time job or two and save more money maybe you could take me with you?

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:24:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I only have memories of such things. Several years ago I shipped my ZX-6R to California from Nov - Mar. Things aligned to get my bike there and back free of charge. I was traveling enough to Los Angeles to make it worth while. Had a business relationship with the California Speed Shop (no longer in business) in Costa Mesa. Over the several trips there, I flew into Orange County Airport, park the rental car and ride from place to place. Was a great winter - rode Palomar several times, PCH, several Ortega passes, Mulholland, Lake Arrowhead area, up to Willow Springs ... would love to have that opportunity back.
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:32 PM »
Books on my Kindle, fires in the fireplace on Sunday nights with my wife, more church, films at my favorite theater, inside home improvement, rollerblading at the dome, quality time with the cat ... :)

All "adventures" that I look forward to during the dark season.

These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline pkpk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
Heading back over to Bangkok for work.  This time I am damned determine to get my hands on one of those 90cc sportbikes and zip around the rice paddies.  Course it sounds like boats are a better mode of transportation right now.  :)

Offline Mike Duluth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:33 AM »
Books on my Kindle, fires in the fireplace on Sunday nights with my wife, more church, films at my favorite theater, inside home improvement, rollerblading at the dome, quality time with the cat ... :)

All "adventures" that I look forward to during the dark season.

Greg that all sounds so peaceful, you need to get a sled buddy and let that adrenalin flow.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:38:42 AM by Mike Duluth »
Push Harder

Duc Man

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:51 AM »
I had my parenting schedule with my son altered to 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off to coincide with my slow season through the winter months as to travel to warm destinations to prevent an "off season". Plan is to head south and mix it up with track time and some exploring on the GS and one tropical trip. Time at home with Howie will include some father son racing at Pro Kart on the KLX 110's and a stack of coloring books so I can work on staying within the lines.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:16:35 AM by Duc Man »

Offline Greg

• There is nothing heroic about my member, trust me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
Greg that all sounds so peaceful, you need to get a sled buddy and let that adrenalin flow.

Variety is the spice of life. No apologies.  :)
These people have taught me more about riding than any day spent on a track: Larry B, Tony K, Vince J, Mr. Wonderful, V2Neal, Marty F, Kevin B, Devon W, Ehrich, Mike A, John L, Arnell, Kirk, Ray C

Track days are like climbing the rock wall at REI.
Perhaps I need to stop taking the high road.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:35 AM »
Well for me it is snowmobiling. My sled is the fastest sled ever made out of the box. It has more HP than my motorcycle, 175 hp at the track and my CBR has 155 hp at the wheel.  So every time I ride this machine it is an adventure. So now that I am off work I would like to ride the circle tour. Which is a ride that starts in Crane Lake and goes into Canada and circles back. It takes about 3 days doing 350 to 400 miles days. I would like to go bake to Michigan to ride that road on the sled that is a trail we road just a few weeks ago to Grand Maria. I bet I could do an average of aver 100+ mph point to point on that road. Michigan has some of the best trail any were. So even if I'm not riding my bike this is my fix for the off season.

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
I most likely won't be doing any off season riding. Hoping the Bike Part/Gear Fairy
stops at my house though.

My winter plans usually put me on a set of parabolics locally and an annual
trip with my brother to Steamboat and an annual trip with my daughter to
the French Alps. Also a trip or two up to Lake of the Woods for some Walleye
and Perch.

And watching Twist of the Wrist I & II on the big screen with a fire blazing!

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
Nice responses peeps!  Sounds like we will all stay busy and content in our own ways throughout the winter season.     :cheers:

Vince, I envy your snomobiling adventures and i hope you take pictures when you are back up in the U.P. the next time!  and you are correct about the road up to Grand Marais, MI... 

anyone else?   :popcorn:
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:53:48 PM »
I'm going to try and make a few trips south to warmer weather. My folks winter in AZ so will spend a week there with them in February. Might try and trailer the bikes down south at some point this winter too. I hear Texas hill country calling my name, may have to make a stop at AF1 Racing in Austin.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline snowflap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »
Well for me it is snowmobiling. My sled is the fastest sled ever made out of the box. It has more HP than my motorcycle, 175 hp at the track and my CBR has 155 hp at the wheel.

Add a Boondocker fuel and boost controller to that Z1 Turbo and you can add horsepower at the touch of a button. I tested one with the fuel controller, nitrous, a timing key, 105 octane and 310 horsepower. Fun sled.
My secret to a happy marriage? Get in enough trouble to be sent to the garage.

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 08:31:58 AM »
Heading down to Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham,AL in mid November with a group of 7-8 ZARS regulars for back to back trackdays. Can't wait to check out a track with a perfect surface and elevation change, and enjoy some spirited riding in the middle of November!  ;D Will be cool to check out the motorcycle museum on site as well.
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »
Add a Boondocker fuel and boost controller to that Z1 Turbo and you can add horsepower at the touch of a button. I tested one with the fuel controller, nitrous, a timing key, 105 octane and 310 horsepower. Fun sled.

Yike.

Traction must be a real problem at this point.