Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:18:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: North Carolina report  (Read 2302 times)

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
North Carolina report
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
Little late in posting this, was in North Carolina for a week from Sept. 17th-24th. First time down there but went with some guys who have been going there every year for the last 10 years.

Unbelievable roads, just amazing how smooth the roads are there. No gravel kicked out in corners, no frost heaves, just billiard table smooth.

Here is a link to photos posted on facebook, this should be open to everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.269477683075670.65769.100000403214960&l=031c0b5719&type=1

Here's a video on the tail of the dragon from a Gopro mounted on my KTM. Added some music to it as well. It was getting dark so we took it easy going through there.

Deals Gap 2011

Here are some of the routes we ran, wasn't all of them but some of the big ones. You have to ride Wayah road, 25 miles of the most challenging road you'll ever ride. Elevation changes, switchbacks, sweepers and just when you think you have the road figured out, it throws something new at you.

http://g.co/maps/wkuy6

This route went to Caesars Head state park in South Carolina. The view from the top is amazing, you can see for 100 miles. Its a 375 mile ride from Knoxville, but on the roads we were on its like doing 650 miles here.

http://g.co/maps/8xhw7

This route uses the Cherhola Skyway and goes by the whitewater rafting area they used during the Olympics based in Atlanta.

http://g.co/maps/srqqd

Not sure I even want to ride around here anymore. Went out a week after that and it was just plain boring.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline motorrad

• View Profile
Re: North Carolina report
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »
sounds like it was a nice trip.  good time of the year to be in the mountains, too.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
One of those areas which everyone needs to ride at least once, if not once in a while. Easily enough great different roads to never repeat a great road in a week or more of riding.

Maybe we should do a regular group trip to the area.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
The road routes you posted look unbelievable.  I'd be very interested, as Ray mentioned, in planning a trip to that region at some point. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Wow, beautiful area for sure!  I've been to Arkansas a few times, this would be a trip I'd be interested in sometime.  :)
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline flyinlow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
The weather was just about perfect. When we left Knoxville in the mornings it was in the 80's with some humidity but as soon as we got into the hills and forests it cools off into the 70's. We did get rained out 2 days though. Light traffic on most of the roads made for good riding. The only law enforcement we saw was on the Tail of the Dragon, and that was only a couple of times.

2008 Ducati Monster S4Rs Tricolore

Offline supraman

• View Profile
    • Ben's Travel Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
Wow, beautiful area for sure!  I've been to Arkansas a few times, this would be a trip I'd be interested in sometime.  :)

+1!

Would love to get out there Fall of 2012 or Spring of 2013...
It's not what you ride, but how you ride it that counts!

Offline kp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »

[/quote]
Would love to get out there Fall of 2012 or Spring of 2013...
[/quote]

We hold the Womens Sportbike Rally in Deal's Gap every year the weekend
after Labor Day. Come with me!