Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:45:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Con or a good deal.  (Read 5552 times)

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
Con or a good deal.
« on: December 30, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
You get a ticket and you show up to see the prosecutor. He give you a choice of $145 or $275. Both you plead guilty. The cheaper price the ticket goes on your driving record. The other you are paying prosecution costs not the fine and if you don't get another ticket that the court hears about for one year they will dismiss the case. But if you do they will send the ticket to the state DOT.
Is this a big con or a good deal. You have less than a minute to decide.

Offline beedawg

• View Profile
    • Ride Safe, Ride Smart! Motorcycle Safety Training
Re: Con or a good deal.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
I'll take the $275 deal.

This reminds me of a speeding ticket Someone got in Arkansas a few years ago.  When Someone got home, Someone called the number on the ticket and asked them if there was any way Someone could keep the ticket off Someone's record.  They gave Someone another phone number to call.  Someone called it and talked to a person who told Someone to send a check for I-don't-remember-how-much to I-don't-remember-where.  Someone did it.  And the speeding ticket never went on Someone's record.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
I'd take the "no similars" ask for 6mos, not 1 year, and say thank you.
I took my son to court to teach him how the system works.  Every kid should have to go as part of their first ticket (it was his second).  Poor guy just wanted to mail in the money.   Judge gave him lower fee and 12 months no similars.

let me translate your question... 275 or 145 and get hosed by your insurance company.  Your insurance company will charge you 2-300 for the privelege of saving money in court.

I suggest you never show up in court if you don't know how a Stay in Lui of Adjutication works.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

gely

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
I'll take the higher fine, but ask for 6 months.  I've done this more than a few times in the past, and yes its legit.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
This is take it or leave it deal or see the judge. Questions were asked for a better deal.

gely

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
This is take it or leave it deal or see the judge. Questions were asked for a better deal.
If you have the time see the judge.

gely

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
If you have the time see the judge and ask for less.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
I don't think a judge give you a choice. So what he says is finale. So it may be worse.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 04:07:22 PM »
I just love how certain people think they know it all  ::)

2011 Honda CBR 250R

Offline Tim...

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
Go see a lawyer.

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
I just love how certain people think they know it all  ::)
Care to say more?  I'm not sure what your beef is on the facts. 
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

gely

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:13 AM »
I don't think a judge give you a choice. So what he says is finale. So it may be worse.

I've gone to a judge once, after the prosecutor wouldn't give me less than a year of probation.  I simply told the judge my record is clean for the last 4 years and  I like to keep it that way, and the judge gave me 6 months instead of one year.

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 10:16:53 AM »
That's good for you and the gamble paid off for you. But if some a hole was just up for stealing from a home the judge may not be in a good mood. He can do anything. He may raise the fine and still do a year you just don't know. Two times back in Redwing I was waiting to see the prosecutor and I was 22 over he lowered it to a nonmoving and doubled the fine and this would keep it off my record and it did. But I was watching the judge later and he was so nice to everyone I think I could of talked my way out of it. Right. You can't win if your not in the ball park.

Offline Hope2Ride

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Vince reading your first post if I truly had only a minute to decide I would've most likely paid the higher fine and prayed I don't get busted for a year so it stayed off my record.

But if you wanna talk about F'd up, complicated traffic court cases.... well you already know about that one case, lol. Its STILL not resolved!!!

2011 Honda CBR 250R

gely

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
That's good for you and the gamble paid off for you. But if some a hole was just up for stealing from a home the judge may not be in a good mood. He can do anything. He may raise the fine and still do a year you just don't know. Two times back in Redwing I was waiting to see the prosecutor and I was 22 over he lowered it to a nonmoving and doubled the fine and this would keep it off my record and it did. But I was watching the judge later and he was so nice to everyone I think I could of talked my way out of it. Right. You can't win if your not in the ball park.

From what I know RedWing and Canon Falls are special case.  I was leading a ride through Canon Falls over the summer, and Casey got a ticket for 111, and Chrie got a ticket 87? on 55.  They went to court a few months later and they both just paid the fines and not even probation(I might have to confirm the no probation, but that's what I remember them telling me).

It's rare that a judge would give you more than recommended by a prosecutor.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:22:44 PM by gely »