Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:00:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello from Cottage Grove...  (Read 3622 times)

Offline 2whl-hoop

• View Profile
Hello from Cottage Grove...
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »
I ran across this forum a few days ago when I was googling stuff and ran across a post in here that I realized was made by the guy who bought my FJR last summer.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1988 when I bought a cm400t from a friend and then, shortly afterward, replaced it with a Yamaha Radian. Since then I've owned a couple of RZs, a CBR 600, SV650, ZX6R, ZX10R, and a Triumph Speed Triple. I bought the FJR new in '08 and rode it solo on a loop out to the west coast that summer, the following year I took another solo trip through Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Colorado (not to mention S.Dakota and Nebraska).

Currently I'm on a WR250R for which I've gotten a set of motard wheels. I mostly commute with it, but in 2010 I trailered it, along with a couple of friends bikes, to Moab, where we rode the White Rim and several other trails in the area. I'm not sure if the 250 is going to cut it as my only ride, I couldn't quite get the handling set up right with the 17" inch wheels (wrong tire size, I think). I've done some 300+ mile days on it, though, and I may try to tag along on a ride or two with the group here. 

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Cottage Grove...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
I'm the FJR guy he's talking about.  Welcome Ben.  Most of the good rides to join off the forum are 400+ miles because they go fairly deep into SW Wisconsin.  Keep your eyes open for a Bandit 1200 or 1250 or similar bike if you feel the itch for a more comfortable yet also nimble/sporty bike on the cheap.  I also like the idea of some of the BMW twin cylinder bikes like the F800ST or GS but they're so damned expensive. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »
Welcome!

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
Hi and welcome!  While your current ride may not be well suited for 400+ miles deep into the ABC's, I bet you'd find it fun at DCTC.   check out ZaluskyRidingSchool.com    there are quite a few who ride Motos!
Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Welcome!  Get a Rich Meyer rework on your saddle and it will add 150 miles.  you can see the difference on my motard in this picture.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »
Welcome. I'm not brave enough to commute but I have done a few solo trips out to the Rockies. Watch this forum for group rides. We do a lot of them.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Although the WR may not be the best thing for the typical rides that gone done by the folks on the forum, there is at least one  dual purpose ride planned for this year and hopefully we'll be able to pull at least one more together.

Offline Tumbler

• View Profile
    • Better Livivng Thru Mondern Chemistry
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:59:46 AM »
Welcome!!  Small world that you found this place & who you sold your bike to is on here.

I think you'll find many good opportunities to ride with a bunch of great people.

I start a lot of my rides in or near CG so watch for that.  Mean time hopefully we'll see you at another event.

Get a Rich Meyer rework on your saddle and it will add 150 miles.  you can see the difference on my motard in this picture.

Wow that is a big difference!!  I'll have to look into them for a new seat on my GSXR.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:04:59 AM by Tumbler »
Mark Cell  612-910-3339    Business website: http://www.amway.com/justlivin
Check it out...great deals for riding season snacks & such!!

Offline 2whl-hoop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes!

It was a happy coincidence that I ran across Matt here because there apparently was an issue with the lien release and the title never transferred on the FJR. I think I was able to take care of it without contacting Matt, but it was nice to be able to let him know what was going on.

As for the 250, I redid the seat with a Seat Concepts cover and foam and it made a huge difference in comfort. For me, there's only two real issues that keep it from being more capable of distance, 1) no wind protection, and you sit bolt-upright on the bike so all the wind catches your chest. That could probably be fixed with a small screen, but 2) the bike lacks the power for cruising at higher speeds ~75+, it does top out around 85 or so, depending on conditions, but in a headwind it can struggle to go 65. On a really windy day last fall I tried to pass a car on a twisty road in WI, and when I pulled out of its draft I couldn't make the pass  :( Kind of embarrassing...I've opened up the airbox and added a pipe and FI programmer, the only thing left would be to add a bigbore kit, and I don't think I want to do that.

If I do get another road bike, the Bandit 12 is on the short list, that's the bike that I was looking up on google when I saw one of Matt's posts.

DCTC is a good suggestion, I've heard of it but never been there myself. How do you find out when trackdays are scheduled there?             

Offline RCKT GRL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:16 AM »

DCTC is a good suggestion, I've heard of it but never been there myself. How do you find out when trackdays are scheduled there?             

Check out http://www.zaluskyridingschool.com/ars_schedule.htm

Those who have actually NEVER tried riding the track could learn a thing or 10 about being a better streetrider; because let's be honest; none of us (Greg) are as great as we think we are. LMAO!

Offline 2whl-hoop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:03 PM »

Check out http://www.zaluskyridingschool.com/ars_schedule.htm

Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into that!