Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:10:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Rider in Lakeville  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Akshay11

• View Profile
New Rider in Lakeville
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
Hey guys. Just bought my first bike, 2012 Ninja 650, should be here by Tues/Weds. Can't wait to get into riding :). I'm a junior at the U of M and got spring break this next week so hopefully I can get some miles on the bike.

Offline T-revzr

• View Profile
Re: New Rider in Lakeville
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
Congrats on getting your first bike. Welcome to the forum.

The statistics are heavily against you as a first year rider. First year riders are heavily over represented in accidents and fatalities, so it is the year that makes or breaks literally and figuratively many riders. If you haven't already, you probably want to sign up for the MSF BRC and ERC courses, and some ZARS days.

Offline Busa dave

• Faster for the Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:45 PM »
Welcome, and I agree with Ray 100%,  please get to a riding school  AND  then the fun begins :)    God Speed

Offline Joel S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 05:10:46 AM »
great advise here from ray , welcome. i had a new 07 650 ninja that i started on, was quite enjoyable.
16 FJR ES               More seat time, less feet time.

Offline Jared

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
welcome
Chris
----------

Offline Ridealot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
Welcome. Yes all great advice. I'll be down for riding this week send me a message if you want to meet up.

gely

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:06 PM »
I'm in Lakeville, near South high school.  There's some ok roads not far from here, msg me if you need help finding them.  I went to U of M, for one semester, but transfer to Duluth campus for my ECE.

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
Welcome.  In all honestly spend a lot of time riding by yourself the first year after you do training courses.  They revised those Ninjas for this year should be a good bike!
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

Offline Akshay11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:56 PM »
Congrats on getting your first bike. Welcome to the forum.

The statistics are heavily against you as a first year rider. First year riders are heavily over represented in accidents and fatalities, so it is the year that makes or breaks literally and figuratively many riders. If you haven't already, you probably want to sign up for the MSF BRC and ERC courses, and some ZARS days.

I signed up for an MSF course 2 months ago! Unfortunately the earliest they offer it is April 14th. I just got my bike 2 days ago, and have just been riding around the neighborhood. Went onto a 40mph main road earlier when not too many cars were out, with my dad driving in a car behind me just to watch. Went pretty good. Need to work on smoother shifting. Got all the gear and am taking it slow though. I want to enjoy riding for many years to come.

Offline Akshay11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
Welcome. Yes all great advice. I'll be down for riding this week send me a message if you want to meet up.

Would love to once I get a bit more experience and am comfortable riding out in traffic on main roads. Just got the bike 2 days ago, and started going on some main roads yesterday. Shouldnt be too long I hope.

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
Another course you might consider taking if you don't have previous dirtbike riding experience, is the beginner dirt bike riding course offered by http://dirtbiketech.com/ .

They provide bikes if you don't have one and do a great job of teaching basic low speed and low traction riding skills.

Offline Akshay11

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 07:58:50 PM »
Another course you might consider taking if you don't have previous dirtbike riding experience, is the beginner dirt bike riding course offered by http://dirtbiketech.com/ .

They provide bikes if you don't have one and do a great job of teaching basic low speed and low traction riding skills.

Alright I'll look into it. Only had the bike 3 days but I'm getting much more comfortable on it. Drove it to work today, and my upshifting is much much smoother than the first day.. no longer jerking and lurching around. Haven't really been in much traffic yet and don't really want to for a couple of weeks. Kinda just waiting til the MSF comes around.

Offline tk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 03:32:48 PM »
Welcome. Good choice on the Kawasaki. It should provide all the performance you need for almost all riding situations. I've got two Kawi 600s and nothing ever goes wrong with them until I crash or get hit by a deer. I'm also an MSF instructor so if you have any question about the Basic Rider Course shoot me a pm.