Route Files

Site Menu

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Crash, limited time viewing now  (Read 33188 times)

Offline Aprilian

• some guys can't get enough horsepower!
    • View Profile
Re: My Crash, limited time viewing now
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
Another advantage of hanging back in the turns is that you can accelerate hard out of the turns without running out of clear road.   If you want euphoric feelings, nothing beats catching someone at the exit of a turn when you went into the turn with 15-30 seconds of lag time.   That fun feeling is just one of the reasons I hang back in groups.   As someone said,   an empty road also makes you judge your own corner speed and line.
Ian

"Crossing the centerline at any time except during a passing maneuver is intolerable, another sign that you're pushing too hard to keep up. Even when you have a clean line of sight through a left-hand kink, stay to the right of the centerline." Nick Ienatsch, The Pace http://tinyurl.com/3bxn82

Offline Ray916MN

• Administrator
  • Dim Mak
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »
Some rhetorical questions for all of you:

Which would make you feel worse, rear ending a total stranger or a good friend?

Do you believe that a friendship and bond between two people can improve their reaction times?

For me the answer to these questions are I'd feel worse if I hit a friend and reaction time is reaction time. Just because I know the person riding in front of me, my reaction time doesn't get better, so my following distance shouldn't be any shorter.

Net, net, a safe following distance is a safe following distance. Don't make the mistake of thinking just because you've ridden with someone for a long time, that you can follow them any closer than anyone else. Remember following distance is more for the safety of the rider ahead of you than for you. Only a self centered twat would jeopardize the safety of their friends for their own personal pleasure.

Offline Deplorable, thank you!

• I hate liars ! Keep the douchebags away, patrol !
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2011, 04:10:37 PM »
learned this video was shot with a gopro. people with them have an idea of distances and how deceiving these are. you can be a length or two back and look like its 10 lengths. found that interesting.

This is so true. So for anyone thinking they look like more than enough following distances, they are surely under 50' and likely under 25' for part of it
 I also noticed looking at the guages, you can see the reflection of him still on the bike til pretty much impact....I was told he was off the bike well before that...hmmm

Regardless when he "went off" the bike--following distances were too close, etc.............
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
He was down but he stay with the bike until the edge of the road. Then the bike stopped and he kept going down hill and into the rail. He knows how he it the rail at that moment I was not looking but I think it did spin him around.

Offline Ultra_Magnus

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
He was down but he stay with the bike until the edge of the road. Then the bike stopped and he kept going down hill and into the rail. He knows how he it the rail at that moment I was not looking but I think it did spin him around.

I have no clue how i flew off the bike really. but i was with it till it hit the ground, guessing the bike landed on my femur. I just remeber the bike slipping and having the feeling of getting hit by a baseball bat.

Then sliding down the road in slow motion thinking, wow these leathers kick ass. Then trying to get up and my left leg was flopping around like an accordian lol.

Offline nOOky

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »
My take is simply that shit happens. I'm guessing every single rider on here has crashed, or will crash, despite their level of experience. Everything can be analyzed in minute detail after the fact. Things happen at speed and a momentary lapse can take your from a close call to an "oh shit" moment right quick. I will offer nothing more than I'm glad you're still alive to talk about it, and that I hope your crash educates you and makes you want to be a better, safer, rider.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
  My opinion is like so many have said-lack of experience. The 1st thing I noticed was your riding lines. Unless I'm riding sedately in staggered formation w others I constantly use my entire lane-late apexing etc.  The vid is too short to be sure but the 1str right hander shows you all the way to the inside before what might be the apex. It appears that you're on the inside prematurely on the final left.  Riding solo goes a long way for removing distractions that effect your riding-it is too easy for focus on the other riders rather than the road.  Think of side by side riding giving the smallest envelope,staggered is better,and solo the best for safe space and focus.  Unlike many others I've had no formal training but have ridden 50+yrs w 5 as a club racer. Luckily I haven't crashed since '85.  Over the winter read some riding/racing technique books-long ago an old car racer borrowed me one by Pierro Taruffi from the 50s-former Gilera GP rider and car racer. A very old book but the theories and concepts of performance motoring haven't changed.  Glad you're ok and perhaps you can make one of my weekday rides next year. GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline vince

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Time 2 Travel
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2011, 10:35:37 AM »
Well I rode past the crash site and they replaced one section of rail that the bike hit. Pretty hard hit I would say.

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
lol wut

This second video, well we rode through this turn yesterday on our way back. That tar stripe you hit, it is completely in the oncoming traffic lane (probably where the inside tire would normally travel). So I think you had problems before running into that tar stripe, that you were already up into the oncoming traffic lane.

Not to beat a dead horse....
What you just read is based on my experience and the info I have acquired during my life. Yes, I post long responses regularly because I like to fully explain my views. If you don't like it or agree with what I have to say; ignore it. I HATE LIARS ESPECIALLY THOSE WHO PRETEND TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »
What rode is that video of?

Kind of looks like CR E just outside of Alma or E just west of Arcadia between 95 and 88. 
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
E just west of Arcadia between 95 and 88. 

Offline carlson_mn

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
Thanks.  Looking at the video again, I paid better attention and noticed the guy in front was almost on the shoulder of the opposing lane setting up for the turn-in.  I wouldn't feel very comfortable riding riding behind him. 

On a race track I understand that technique but why try to straighten out twisty public roads, it's not a race. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:32:20 PM by carlson_mn »
- Matt from Richfield
2008 FJR1300.  Yeah, it's got a shaft and bags. Let's ride

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
^^^"but why try to straighten out twisty public roads, ...."^^^

exactly-the tighter the turn and the more challenging it is, isn't that the point !   atleast it is for me.

Straighteneing them out, you may as well just stay in MN on the big sweepers or go to the drag strip.

Offline GUZZI JOHN

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
 WTF!! so that's what preceded the crash vid? The guy in front was way out but did you gas it to catch up after getting too far left?  My comments about racing lines are about using all of your lane not both.  I want to use the road in the most efficient manner not lean over as far as possible. My method leaves room for unforseen issues and has saved my ass many times with a bit of unused lean angle etc. It appears the guy ahead was a bit out of control and unfortunately you were pulled into his mania.  If you plotted your two lines through that section you'd see that although he was out of his lane that line allowed him more speed and you trying to match on the tighter line overcooked. He'd be good to follow at a distance and learn from his mistakes.GJ ::)
john pierson

Offline cbreater

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2011, 06:19:56 AM »
They guy two bikes ahead appears to overshoot and stand it up too.